My Sister Lives on the Mantelpiece

My Sister Lives on the Mantelpiece

RRP: £7.99
Price: £3.995
£3.995 FREE Shipping

In stock

We accept the following payment methods

Description

This book is narrated by Jamie, a 10-year-old boy, whose older sister was blown into pieces by a terrorist bomb in London 5 years ago. His family are overcome with loss and torn apart by their grief. When they try to have a fresh start, Jamie is sat next to a Muslim girl named Sunya in his new school. His thoughts are "Muslims killed my sister" over and over again but Sunya doesn’t seem like a terrorist at all… She is kind, funny and beautiful.

Ocr tesseract 5.0.0-alpha-20201231-10-g1236 Ocr_detected_lang en Ocr_detected_lang_conf 1.0000 Ocr_detected_script Latin Ocr_detected_script_conf 0.9752 Ocr_module_version 0.0.13 Ocr_parameters -l eng Old_pallet IA-WL-2000033 Openlibrary_edition In fact she was quite bad and according to Jas she was naughty at school, but no one seems to remember that now she is all dead and perfect.” So even though his sister had been killed, his parents were getting divorced and he was feeling terribly sad and lonely, he still had to carry on and try to stay positive, no matter what. It's a great reminder that we often don't always know what's happening in our friends' lives and sometimes they might be feeling sad at school because of what's going on at home.

Stagehand: 12-16 years old to play a young man. A gloomy, angry and comedic character who steals the second act with his pessimistic attitude.

A middle grade book dealing with terrorism and death? Needless to say, I had my doubts. However, Annabel Pitcher confronts issues like hate, loyalty, and loss in such a straightforward way that its simplicity belies its depth. Even more impressive, she confronts the pressure to grieve. It's sad to say that a book like this is timely and necessary, especially for a younger audience, but it is. It's also hopeful and surprising. A very strong debut by first time author Annabel Pitcher.

Two days later, something changes his mind. What happens and what was so special and exciting about it? My Sister Lives on the Mantelpiece is a coming-of-age novel by British author Annabel Pitcher, first published in 2011. It focuses on and is narrated by ten-year-old Jaime Mathews, who moves with his teenage sister Jas and their alcoholic father to the country from their home in London, after his mother has an affair and leaves the family. The title refers to Rose, Jamie’s older sister and Jas’ twin, who was killed five years ago in a terrorist bombing. Although Jas has been deeply traumatized by her twin sister’s death, Jamie was only five when she was killed and didn’t really know her that well. He struggles to understand the depth of his family’s grief, which complicates things when he befriends Sunya, a Muslim girl at his new school, and comes up against his father’s deep prejudice against Muslims. Exploring themes of grief, growing up, identity, and bigotry in the age of terrorism, My Sister Lives on the Mantelpiece was highly praised for its nuanced take on mature issues through the eyes of a child. It won the 2012 Branford Boase Award and was nominated for multiple other awards. It's also about friendship and loyalty, revolving largely around Jamie's friendship with the absolutely delightful Sunya. She's smart, bubbling with energy, clever, and wonderfully confident. And she's a Muslim girl who wears a hijab. This isn't a problem for Jamie so much as it is for his father. Because, as he says so often, Muslims killed his daughter. So yes, there's a thread of bigotry here, as Jamie struggles with his warring impulses to be a good son and a good friend. Después de leer este libro me dan ganas de abrazar a Jaime, a Sunya, a Jas, a Leo e incluso al señor Matthews, que en ocasiones me dieron ganas de gritarle, sacudirlo y que de una puñetera vez reaccionase al ver como trataba en ocasiones a sus hijos... Pero no lo puedo culparlo y reprocharlo del todo cuando aún recuerda con dolor a Rose y no asume la perdida, especialmente bajo las circunstancias en que murió su hija. I'm 12 years old and I think it's just perfect for people of my age and older. In fact, both my parents want to read it and I think they'll really enjoy it! (For the moment I think my younger sister's a little bit too young to really enjoy it, especially the ending.)

My Sister Lives On The Mantelpiece is a 2011 novel written by Annabel Pitcher. It won the 2012 Branford Boase Award, [1] and received at least 25 other award nominations. [2] Ensemble: To be made up of Rose, Young Jamie, Stagehand, Nurse, Mrs. Farmers, Nigel, Daniel, and Aisha Al-Wasi. In this book I like how Annabel Pitcher writes through the eyes of a ten-year-old boy. Jamie is a normal boy whose family is traumatised. The author has done an exceptional job of displaying the emotions of the characters, it is this and Jamie's hopeful outlook that make the book flow brilliantly and make you want to read every last word. This story was heartbreaking but also incredibly hopeful. It explored the power of human connections and human beings' capacity for compassion.Young Jamie Matthews: 7-10 years old to play a 7-year-old. An innocent little boy, reliant on his mother and father.

• Fruugo ID: 258392218-563234582
  • EAN: 764486781913
  • Sold by: Fruugo

Delivery & Returns

Fruugo

Address: UK
All products: Visit Fruugo Shop