Dog Days: A big-hearted, tender, funny novel about new beginnings

Dog Days: A big-hearted, tender, funny novel about new beginnings

RRP: £99
Price: £9.9
£9.9 FREE Shipping

In stock

We accept the following payment methods

Description

Dog Days is a novel about those small but life-changing moments that only come when we pause to let the light in. It is about three people learning to make connections and find joy and comfort in living life off the leash. Lizzie is living in a women's refuge with her son Lenny. Her body is covered in scars and she has shut herself off from the world. She distrusts dogs, but when she starts having to walk the refuge's dog, Maud, things begin to change. Easy to read and witty but full of pathos and sadness, this tightly plotted tale will bring you joy. BEST Perfect for fans of A Man Called Ove and Eleanor Oliphant...Definitely one of my favourite novels of 2021' AJ Pearce, author of Dear Mrs Bird and Yours Cheerfully Easy to read and witty but full of pathos and sadness, this tightly plotted tale will bring you joy. * BEST *

Waller has a lyrical way of weaving words that perfectly encapsulates a feeling or thought ... Funny, sad and reassuringly sage, Dog Days is a story of humanity, family and life. Culturefly An emotional tour-de-force that will leave you with the whole-hearted understanding that dogs really do bring people (even the most unlikely of us) together. Annie England Noblin, author of Sit, Stay, Speak and Pupcakes Moving, uplifting, full of charm and warmth, [Dog Days] gave me much paws for thought. Such great characterisation, too - by the end, George, Dan et al felt like family! EMMA STONEX, Sunday Times bestselling author of THE LAMPLIGHTERS Greg doesn't want to go to the town pool with his mother and little brother because of the shower area he has to walk through to get to the pool. ... There were several scenes with a gay couple that were so stereotyped and cliche it made me wince. And did I mention not one, but two insta-loves? The romance was not romantic it was just sex.

Retailers:

Then there is Lizzie, living in a women's refuge with son Lenny. She is very clever but very troubled and she doesn't want to speak to the police. The “twist” of having the woman in the domestic violence shelter be the one who was actually abusing her husband and lying about it, compounded with the fact that she was autistic (and was clearly just comprised of stereotypes about autism, not based on any lived experience) was horrific. Contributing to a culture where women are doubted about being subjected to domestic violence is pretty awful, not to mention throwing the ableism in there too. There are some heavy themes here - loss and grief, mental health, domestic violence - but it never (well, hardly ever) feels too much and there’s enough humour to lighten the tone. The literary elements in this story are, imagery and and alot of figurative language. The real reason it has imagery is simply because it shows pictures to show us each scene. Its figurative language consist of similes and of onomatopeas, that is what is in this book.

Waller's tormented, endearing and intriguing characters cross paths as they walk dogs on the Sussex Downs in a bittersweet, touching novel of waggy tails, wet noses and tear-filled eyes. * SAGA * Money is tight this year and Greg can't go to the beach. Greg and his friend Rowley go to Rowley's country club after school closes for the summer, but after a few weeks, Greg is not invited to return because he complains about even the smallest things, much to his disappointment. Overall, it is an excellent debut novel that felt very real. For that reason, I would not recommend it to a reader who uses reading as an escape from "real life", but rather to someone who wants to explore life and its many aspects in more depth. The book serves as a reminder of our own humanity and personal struggles. For fans new and old, this witty, insightful account of a year like no other is an unmissable treat.

Select a format:

Dog Days" starts with a group of people in the park with their dogs. We don't know exactly how everyone is connected, but the book then jumps to different people throughout. The film, Diary of a Wimpy Kid: Dog Days, released on August 3, 2012, was based on the book and its predecessor, The Last Straw. It was released on October 12, 2009, in the USA and October 13, 2009, in Canada. The film, Diary of a Wimpy Kid: Dog Days, released on August 3, 2012, was based on the book and its predecessor, The Last Straw. It follows the narrator, Greg Heffley, on his summer break between seventh and eighth-grade.

Lizzie is a former teacher, a woman who has escaped her husband, with her son, and they live in a women’s shelter. She doesn’t talk much about it, trying to protect her young son Lenny, and her, from the past, but her emotional and physical scars tell part of her story. It’s her secret, to share or not, but Maude, the resident dog at the shelter, a terrier, seems to be aware of her overly protective nature, her wanting to hide from someone or something. The characters are riddled with flaws and might be considered "unlikeable" by most. However, I found that it made the characters seem more relatable, authentic and "real". The characters were both complex and vibrant. The book navigated some extremely difficult topics with grace and insight. I found the book to be both heart-warming and heart-wrenching at times. It felt like a reflection of how real life is; things don't always turn out the way you hope. A charming novel that focusses on the healing powers of man and woman's best friend CHOICE Magazine If you enjoyed Beth Morrey's Saving Missy, you'll love this...both hilarious and moving. * Woman and Home * The world would be a nicer place if everyone had the ability to love as unconditionally as a dog' MK ClintonThen there is Dan, a mental health counselor who has OCD, himself. He is also struggling with accepting his feelings about his sexuality. His dog is a labrador named Fitz, who seems to be his substitute best friend, and one of his excuses, for not having a partner, or a life, really. He’s a bit awkward with people, and struggles even more once a patient appears at his door early on, and finds himself attracted to this patient who seems to be subtly flirting with him, that is if he’s not just imagining it.

A Russian doll of a book that twists and tugs each outer husk, revealing delicate and poignant inner layers. BETH MORREY, author of SAVING MISSY Dog Days is a good book that held my attention. But it just didn’t match up to the other outstanding books I have read this year. First of all, I think the title is misleading. Yes, there are several dogs in the story, but they are minor characters. The humans are the real protags here. There are three storylines, each with a protagonist and a second major non canine character. The protags take turns narrating the chapters, which disturbs the flow to some degree. The actual plot lines however are very good touching on themes of grief, depression, abuse, sexuality issues, fear, love, and loss. A Russian doll of a book that twists and tugs each outer husk, revealing delicate and poignant inner layers. * BETH MORREY, author of SAVING MISSY * It's the things you can't prepare for that are hard, he realizes. They are the true test of character." There is George, very recently widowed, and at 79 (I think!) he has to be the grumpiest, rudest, most difficult man alive and yet you can't help but love him and want something much better for the old devil.

THis book relates to our lives in many ways, it reminds of those kids that where kind of off, and tells us some of there stories. Of course, these stories get as off and crazy, sometimes i even wonder if there is a plot! After that though, I believe any age would love this book. Waller's tormented, endearing and intriguing characters cross paths as they walk dogs on the Sussex Downs in a bittersweet, touching novel of waggy tails, wet noses and tear-filled eyes. SAGA These three all have significant issues. But all three are also being given the opportunity to heal, to find love. In meeting these three characters we are introduced to others. Batty Betty who tries so hard to befriend George. Luke, a primary school teacher, cousin of Dan and who has Lenny in his class. And there is Atticus, a client who comes to Dan's counselling room. After hearing about a video game competition, Greg and Rowley decide to camp in front of the store. Greg gets chocolate on his hands, and decides to prank Rowley by making him think he is the muddy hand; this results in Rowley crushing Greg's hand with a mallet. Due to his injury, Greg is unable to play well in the competition and Rowley beats him. After that, Rowley chose to have a box of chocolate-covered raisins instead of going to the national tournament.

• Fruugo ID: 258392218-563234582
  • EAN: 764486781913
  • Sold by: Fruugo

Delivery & Returns

Fruugo

Address: UK
All products: Visit Fruugo Shop