A Waiter in Paris: Adventures in the Dark Heart of the City

A Waiter in Paris: Adventures in the Dark Heart of the City

RRP: £16.99
Price: £8.495
£8.495 FREE Shipping

In stock

We accept the following payment methods

Description

Babygirl' is the new type of man that everyone loves - from Barry Keoghan to Jacob Elordi (although nobody can quite agree what it means! A Waiter in Paris charts Edward Chisholm’s jaw-dropping experiences while serving tables in the French capital, a demi-monde of sadistic managers, thieves, fighting for tips and drug dealers.

Maybe I went into it with too high expectations, but I got midway through and had to add it to my DNF pile. Starting as a ‘runner’, his experiences over the next months take him deeper behind the scenes of a restaurant than he could have imagined.The ultimate Valentine's Day countdown - here are 10 romantic gestures to help sweep your partner off their feet! It takes you below the surface of one of the most iconic cities in the world and right into its glorious underbelly.

Prostitutes out front, people sleeping in their cars on the street, shared bathrooms, paper-thin walls. As he observes, “Slice a Parisian bistro in half and you a startlingly accurate cross-section of contemporary French society. A very interesting read and you get to hear a lot about the other waiters, and the variety of ways in which they ended up being waiters. Mrs Woolf, wife of the manager, is a very celebrated author and, in her own way, more important than Galsworthy. In the UK, the vast majority of our drama, literature, comedy and reporting is created and commissioned by white, middle class, liberally educated men.He scrapes by on coffee, bread, and cigarettes, often working under sadistic managers, for a wage so low he’s forced to fight his colleagues for tips. It seems glib to compare it to Orwell when it's more universal, or Bourdain when it doesn't glorify the mess. It’s completely fascinating to learn about the society that exists behind closed restaurant doors and Chisholm shares this world elegantly, honestly and vividly. It is a tactful exploration of how to leverage others into getting what you want, or in the case of Chisholm, what is needed.

This is a fascinating book, full of anecdotes that would sound far-fetched in a work of fiction, but that are all absolutely true. This is a compelling memoir, written with a passion for the city and compassion for his fellow workers.I'd advise readers to enjoy it somewhere warm and comfortable, and on no account to try it before a gastronomic weekend. This week’s Summer Reads pick is a journey into the depths of a Paris most of us won’t be familiar with – the restaurant kitchen, through the eyes of a waiter. Slightly Foxed introduces its readers to books that are no longer new and fashionable but have lasting appeal.

• Fruugo ID: 258392218-563234582
  • EAN: 764486781913
  • Sold by: Fruugo

Delivery & Returns

Fruugo

Address: UK
All products: Visit Fruugo Shop