Colour Blind

Colour Blind

RRP: £99
Price: £9.9
£9.9 FREE Shipping

In stock

We accept the following payment methods

Description

She began writing to help comes to terms with her illness and turned out scores of novels. Her first effort, Kate Hannigan, was published when she was 44 - and she would write nearly 80 more books which have been translated into 17 languages with worldwide sales totalling more than 100 million.

Anyone that thinks of this novel as little more than fluffy romance will be surprised by the depth they discover. While one went on to become one half of a much-loved TV duo and the other looked to Hollywood for megastar-status, Catherine Zeta-Jones and Declan Donnelly appeared together in historic drama, The Cinder Path, as feisty Victoria Chapman and erm, Stable Boy, respectively.Long before Bates fell in love with Anna in Downton Abbey, Brendan Coyle appeared as Manuel Mendoza, an Irish groom to a wealthy family in The Glass Virgin. Even at the beginning of her illustrious career, she had the power to captivate her audiences, delivering passion and compelling drama. While it is true that Catherine Cookson writes the most spectacular romances, there is so much more in this novel than just romance. In fact, a considerable portion of this book is dedicated to the interactions between the different families and neighbors. The McQueens were nothing like I was expecting. They were a horrible family. I liked Cavan and their adopted son Tony, but Kathie was detestable and Matt was evil incarnate. He was an interesting villain, and believably scary. However, I wish there was more explanation into his obsession with Bridget. I thought Bridget was a complex character and enjoyed reading about her. However I was hoping for a real love story between her and James.

Britain’s best selling author was made a Dame in the 1993 New Year Honours List. She was already an OBE.This award-winning production, about a woman forced to live her life without love starred the brilliant Janet McTeer of The White Queen and Honourable Women fame as the honour-bound Riah Millican. Hateful of each other, their neighbors and, inevitably, the newest addition to their family, readers are provided a firsthand glimpse into racism in the 1950s, the destruction it unleashed and the families it destroyed. This new addition to the family comes about when Bridget marries him. When she brings him home, she discovers she cannot take the hateful stares, comments, and remarks and she turns to the bottle. This leads to drastic consequences and James has to run away, leaving his precious daughter, Rose Mary behind. Catherine Cookson was one of my mom's favorite authors, and so I decided to read this book in her memory. I've come to realize I never paid attention to the genres she liked: historical romance, family relationships, Danielle Steel, etc. Aside from children's classics like Little Women and A Little Princess, there are probably less than 5 titles we've shared.

Catherine Cookson passed away just nine days short of her 92nd birthday at her home on June 11, 1998. The second half of the book explores the experience of Bridget's daughter Rosie and how her mixed racial heritage impacts upon her life. You'll also recognise: A guest appearance by Ron Donachie as Mr McCree in the Downton Christmas special.

I read the book many years ago and although a fan of Catherine Cookson, the screen adaptations are usually a bit twee (except for The Round Tower and this one).

Tony was educated at the Central grammar for boys, whose alumni include Tony Garnett, the BBC Play for Today producer, and the actors Nicol Williamson and, contemporary with Tony, Kevin McNally. He was popularly known as “Ant” until he grew much bigger and became “Fly” (a larger insect than an ant). He excelled at rugby and, outside school, ice-skating and drama classes, and was a lifelong supporter of Birmingham City FC.Following the life of Rose Mary, readers witness racism in the 1950s and the destruction it causes, how ignorance ruins entire families. Towards the end, Rose Mary has a choice between two men that love her and want her no matter her race. (I still have my doubts about the one tho..) I was glad of some romance in the story but did not find it particularly convincing. Rose Angela, out of the blue, was suddenly in love with her employer and they seem to have ended up together by the end. Their relationship felt under developed and I wish it was begun earlier in the story. She is also pursued by an Arab named Hassan. I liked him but he seemed to grow obsessed by her, to the point that he attempted to kill his love rival. As with many of the Fifteen Streets residents, the McQueens are big-hearted and blunt; opinionated and often speaking with no holds barred in the face of any attempt to go against social convention.

• Fruugo ID: 258392218-563234582
  • EAN: 764486781913
  • Sold by: Fruugo

Delivery & Returns

Fruugo

Address: UK
All products: Visit Fruugo Shop