What Artists Wear

What Artists Wear

RRP: £14.99
Price: £7.495
£7.495 FREE Shipping

In stock

We accept the following payment methods

Description

At The Renaissance Society, Chicago, an untitled exhibition curated by the artist Shahryar Nashat and writer & curator Bruce Hainley simultaneously investigates the enigmatic relationships between image, perception, and the human body as a living or undead currency.

art of getting dressed | Fashion | The Guardian The art of getting dressed | Fashion | The Guardian

The conversation is chaired by writer and journalist Charlie Porter, who has also contributed to the Warhol catalogue. For a moment, Porter looks at my long, striped wool scarf, which is also brightly coloured. “The other thing is that people give themselves pleasure and comfort by putting colour in their field of vision.” Después de la lectura, acompaña a Jesse Lopez para la próxima entrega del Club de lectura de la Biblioteca de Investigación de Arte Lemon, presentando Lo que visten los artistas de Charlie Porter. Este libro ricamente ilustrado lleva a los lectores en un viaje a través de la ropa que usan los artistas y lo que nos revelan sus elecciones. Esta selección del club de lectura explora temas centrales de tres exposiciones de PhxArt, incluyendo Modelándose a sí mismo: la fotografía de la expresión cotidiana, EN MOVIMIENTO: El corte moderno de Geoffrey Beene, and Mr: Puedes escuchar la canción de este pueblo. or this absolute banger of obviousness that led to nothing “ nakedness has been there throughout art history: just look at the bodies on show in ancient Greek sculpture”. as if no one has ever know that or as if it will later play out in his text (no, it won’t)My personal preferences meant I was most enticed mostly by Porter’s sections referring to what artists wear during a performance. However, I feel a greater separation could have been made between an artist such as Basquiat, who wore designer clothing in the process of creating his art and artists like Louise Bourgeois who wore costumes as her art. Their intentions were entirely different, and I begin to wonder if this investigation could therefore have been split into two editions: artist’s clothes / distinctive clothes worn by artists?

The Bloomsbury Group, re-examined through their garments

Wear comfortable clothing while you work. As an artist, you will be spending long hours honing your craft. Whether you're working at an easel or on a computer, you want to make sure you're as comfortable as possible. Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) is exactly that: equipment to protect you from health and safety risks at work. For the hair and beauty industry, recommendations from the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) recommends face coverings, gloves, aprons and - for some treatments - eye protection. Porter suggests, then a lens through which to examine how our relationship with clothing shifted over the last century. The book careers through almost every facet of modern clothing, from sportswear to denim, workwear to luxury fashion. Tailoring, in particular, receives significant discussion. “I was interested in suits as a symbol of white male power,” says Porter. “But I was much more interested in what artists did with that symbol.” The average older woman’s clothes are appalling’: sculptor Barbara Hepworth in St Ives, 1957. Photograph: Paul Popper/Popperfoto/Getty Images The focus shifts deliberately between the giants of 20th-Century art and those who haven’t received the same adulation — and, in doing so, creates space for emerging, forgotten, or overlooked figures. As the book progresses, it becomes closer and more intimate in its scope: what begins as a survey of the major names becomes a kind of rolling conversation with the artists in Porter’s own circle (Porter was also a juror for the Turner Prize in 2019).

Social

Screen print your own T-shirts. Are you tired of seeing the same old T-shirt designs? Make custom shirts that nobody else in the world can wear.

• Fruugo ID: 258392218-563234582
  • EAN: 764486781913
  • Sold by: Fruugo

Delivery & Returns

Fruugo

Address: UK
All products: Visit Fruugo Shop