Letters to a Law Student: A guide to studying law at university

Letters to a Law Student: A guide to studying law at university

RRP: £99
Price: £9.9
£9.9 FREE Shipping

In stock

We accept the following payment methods

Description

However, I must admit that my extent of understanding this facet of the Law is somewhat sketchy due to its complexity, and the fact I have never been given a basic introduction to it. Your classmates will be watching you and evaluating not only your intelligence, but your honesty and professionalism. If law school were pass-fail, or if there were no exams at all,[18] then a new ranking of those students would not have to take place, and everyone could leave law school with the same sense of accomplishment that they have when they get the acceptance letter. The fact that a previous generation of law-makers may have taken a particular position on what sort of society we should live in does not mean that future generations cannot take a different position, thereby bringing about a change in the law. Even when you are arguing a precedent-setting case, you will largely bolster your position by looking to the past.

You cannot read about this process and expect to learn it without practice, any more than you can read a book about marathon running and then go run one. Cutthroat competition is not good for anyone, and it leads to behavior that degrades the profession and makes practice a nightmare. To calculate the overall star rating and percentage breakdown by star, we don’t use a simple average. I am best known as a teacher and scholar of the Uniform Commercial Code; I took that class pass-fail.If a statute requires four elements, you must convince the decision maker that all four elements are represented in the facts of this case to get relief under the rule. Listen to your colleagues as they practice their new tongue and see if they are using the language precisely.

The text flows as a series of letters between a lecturer and aspiring student, divided into chronological parts from thinking about a law degree to preparing to study law, studying law, writing like a lawyer, and thinking about the future. But you are learning lots of things at the same time: the language of law, the substantive law (legal rules) in many different areas, and how to be a good anthropologist and archaeologist. This is the beginning of your entire professional life, and it will not end until the day that you retire. Lawbore's directory highlights the best law-related sites for undergraduates, hand-selected by our law lecturers at the City Law School, City, University of London.In contracts class, for example, we talk about the right of a woman to contract for the sale of her unborn child. The first of the Secret Barrister books neatly depicts how the Law in the UK is broken, highlighting issues within the Magistrate’s Court such as the lack of diversity on the Bench and its implications, to the problem with a deflating legal aid budget and the consequences on people's access to justice.

Effective persuasion requires that you have insight into and respect for other opinions and perspectives. Nicholas McBride gives succinct advice suggesting students ought to ‘imagine law is a person…[and] manage to “fall in love” with law’ .

Your professors, and ultimately, the judges before whom you argue, will be most inclined to make the necessary leaps of faith if they see an argument that leads, like stepping stones, through the historical precedents to the next logical step.

Doing well in studying law shouldn’t be beyond anyone; whether someone does well or not depends in whether they want to become the sort of person who can do well at law. These different perspectives will help to broaden yours, and to sharpen your understanding of the analytic process that is taking place not only in your mind, but in the minds of your colleagues and professors. Finally, I thought that Mcbride did repeat himself multiple times when I think it could have been more concise and still have gotten his point across perfectly! Analysis: Because of the facts of this case, the result depends upon the meaning that the court applies to value. It makes being a lawyer seem hard and magical, and this helps to inflate the value of the professional knowledge, both inside and outside the system.I had enjoyed doing some work experience at a firm of solicitors, but I didn’t really know what studying Law would entail, or whether it was the right subject for me.

• Fruugo ID: 258392218-563234582
  • EAN: 764486781913
  • Sold by: Fruugo

Delivery & Returns

Fruugo

Address: UK
All products: Visit Fruugo Shop