No Time to Cry: Constance Fairchild Series 1 (The Constance Fairchild Series)

£9.9
FREE Shipping

RRP: £99
Price: £9.9
£9.9 FREE Shipping

In stock

We accept the following payment methods

Description

In Edinburgh, she stays with the delightful, mysterious Madame Rose, who as ever is able to anticipate her every need and it isn’t long before she becomes embroiled in another dead body case with remarkably similar hallmarks.

Con has been suspended from her job following the events of book one and is treated with disdain by both her colleagues and the press. Neither of who can accept that she is Lady Constance, even though she has no interest in the title, has little time for her parents and doesn’t get any financial benefit from having the title. I did feel their treatment was a little unfair, considering she was only doing her job. Con is frustrated by the restrictions being placed on her. With family issues very prevalent, she is exhausted and demoralised as all sides of her life, both private and professional, seem to be collapsing around her. But Constance Fairchild is determined, resourceful and fearless. She isn’t afraid to take risks, at times putting her own life in serious threat. She is a fighter who believes in searching for justice at all times. She is indefatigable, completely unwavering in her search for the truth. In 2014, James Oswald’s debut book, Natural Causes, was nominated for the Dagger Award, proffered by the Crime Writers’ Association. Furthermore, the said book was among the nominees for the National Book Awards in the Newcomer of the Year category. The featured protagonist in the two aforementioned books is Anthony McLean, a police inspector. McLean is a homicide detective who was orphaned at an early age. He was reared by his grandmother who, after being in a comatose for quite some time, died of stroke.

The fact that I finished this book at all, and until near the end was contemplating giving it four stars is a testament to Oswald’s skill as a writer. I don’t like Con Fairchild, but the story kept me going until close to the end – it was only then, and when I sat down to think about what I’d read, that the weaknesses became apparent. But what makes this book so excellent is that it doesn’t rely on the main character to hold it all up. There’s an entire collection of interesting people who feel real and present and relatable, from the kindly yet mysterious neighbour to Con’s police colleagues, near and far. And this is where things get interesting because there’s a bit of crossover here with James Oswald’s Edinburgh series and it seems like it might be a bit supernatural?? Full of dangerous and dark things?? If so... Sign. Me. Up. There’s a touch of that here too and I’m all for it. In a genre where everything has to be explained, it’s fun to have a hint of the inexplicable. And there are cats, so obviously there’s magic involved. James has also introduced the world to Detective Constable Constance 'Con' Fairchild, whose first outing was in the acclaimed No Time To Cry. Strange and unusual seem to be an everyday occurence for our favourite Detective and Nowhere to Run is absolutely no exception to the norm. It's one of the things I like about this series, and James Oswald's books in general to be fair. They are not your average police procedurals. Not by a long chalk. And Constance Fairchild is not your average Detective. She has seen her fair share of the inexplicable and the scene is set for more to come with local legends and mythology intermingling with a case very much grounded in the real life atrocities that could all too easily have been ripped from the headlines. It is a story which is very topical, a touch dark in terms of theme perhaps, but told in the series trademark first person, almost conversational style which keeps readers immersed in the action but a step removed from the real depravity of what is happening. It works brilliantly in this case, with Con's conscience and natural curiosity driving her to get involved in a very complex investigation, even though she is meant to be on sabbatical. But from her perspective we get a unique take on what is happening, and I found myself faced with a real determination of our own to see the whole thing through to its conclusion.

Having read and thoroughly enjoyed No Time To Cry by James Oswald, I was delighted to finally get the opportunity to read the second book in this fantastic crime fiction series, Nothing to Hide. The new book in the brilliant Constance Fairchild series, from one of Scotland's foremost crime writers.This is the second book in the series which features DC Constance Fairchild which is written by James Oswald and I have taken to this series just like the Inspector McLean series, I love it! I thoroughly enjoyed Nothing to Hide which is an exciting read that held my attention from start to finish, to the extent that I read it in one sitting. It is told in the first person by Con which allows the reader to identify with her and get absorbed in her perspective and as there is always something going on this is easy. The plot builds well with two strands of interest, Con’s on/off involvement in the investigation and the fallout from her previous case, nastiness from her fellow officers, her suspension and constant attention from tabloid journalists. These strands often intertwine with her actions in one leading to events in the other or vice versa. It’s done seamlessly and while there may be a touch of serendipity it makes for an exciting read.

• Fruugo ID: 258392218-563234582
  • EAN: 764486781913
  • Sold by: Fruugo

Delivery & Returns

Fruugo

Address: UK
All products: Visit Fruugo Shop