The Call of Cthulhu and Other Weird Stories

The Call of Cthulhu and Other Weird Stories

RRP: £99
Price: £9.9
£9.9 FREE Shipping

In stock

We accept the following payment methods

Description

I wish I could rate this book purely on the merits of literary talent, but to do so would be irresponsible to those who might be swayed by my recommendation. I don't see many references to Lovecraft's personal flaws in this review section, so I feel obligated to at least mention some.

Hillier’s six mesmerising, portal-like illustrations embrace the alien realities that lurk among the gambrel roofs of Lovecraft’s landscapes. By splicing Victorian portraits and lithographs with cosmic and Lovecraftian symbolism, each piece – like the stories themselves – pulls apart the familiar to reveal what lies beneath. In saying all of that I did enjoy visiting some of the locations I've seen in Lovecraft-based games, such as Arkham and the Miskatonic university. I enjoyed some of the stories, such as The Colour From Space, and really liked The Shadow over Innsmouth- a story with a bit more description and action than many of Lovecraft's other works. In the "popular answered questions" section of this book, somebody has confused the opening line of the Turkish edition for text in the secret language of the Necronomicon. This reminds me of the Twilight Zone a bit. Yet another unnamed protagonist is invited by a weird dude to his house and witnesses weird scenes through a window. Soon it is not just the window… If that does not set the scene for The Call of Cthulhu, and indeed for the works of H.P. Lovecraft as a whole, I'm not sure much will.

His politics were similarly disturbing, converging over time toward fascism. Of course, being a prominent figure in the early 20th century with an intellectual caliber diametric to the modern skinhead, we must understand that these were emerging views not contrarian at the time. But still, it is hard to excuse such an influential figure this degree of intolerance. Every protagonist is exactly the same. “It was very horrible but my own scientific curiosity for the horrible made me very curious as to what lay forward.” Sometimes the narrators are completely unnecessary, with an obvious case of this being in The Call of Cthulhu, where the narrator summarizes other people’s actions or journal entries, when it would have been much more effective to just show the journal entries or articles themselves.

Frequently imitated and widely influential, Howard Philips Lovecraft reinvented the horror genre in the 1920s, discarding ghosts and witches and instead envisioning mankind as a tiny outpost of dwindling sanity in a chaotic and malevolent universe. S. T. Joshi, Lovecraft's preeminent interpreter, presents a selection of the master's fiction, from the early tales of nightmares and madness such as "The Outsider" to the overpowering cosmic terror of "The Call of Cthulhu." More than just a collection of terrifying tales, this volume reveals the development of Lovecraft's mesmerizing narrative style and establishes him as a canonical- and visionary-American writer. An unnamed protagonist encounters a fishy god-like entity, drives him batty of course. This is a very short and atmospheric story. People who encounter the Lovecraftian creatures do not usually get to keep their marbles. Frequently imitated and widely influential, Howard Philips Lovecraft reinvented the horror genre in the 1920s, discarding ghosts and witches and instead envisioning mankind as a tiny outpost of dwindling sanity in a chaotic and malevolent universe. S. T. Joshi, Lovecraft’s preeminent interpreter, presents a selection of the master’s fiction, from the early tales of nightmares and madness such as “The Outsider” to the overpowering cosmic terror of “The Call of Cthulhu.” More than just a collection of terrifying tales, this volume reveals the development of Lovecraft’s mesmerizing narrative style and establishes him as a canonical- and visionary-American writer. I don't think he deserves all the hype, sorry. I definitely see how his style has remained popular because the aesthetic for most of his stories is very unique, but I don't think he is a very strong writer at all. He's a very tell-instead-of-show kind of guy. He just kind of describes what he wants you to know, but I never actually feel it. When he wants the reader to know that a place is spooky and eerie, he would just say, "it was spooky and eerie." Like ok, sure buddy. Also, so many times things would be described as "too horrible for words" or "too terrible to repeat," which was very frustrating as a reader. Just felt very lazy and unsatisfying.

Retailers:

Gentle reader - what I saw that night was so horrifyingly horrible, such a cavalcade of horrid, horrific horror, that I cannot describe its horrendousness to you. I pen these words whilst I foam at the mouth in a padded cell."

Another unnamed protagonist goes to visit his ancestral village, there he is invited to join a bizarre festival at a secret shore. Fun times (for the readers, not so much for him). A truly nightmarish vision of a horrifying, gothic landscape induced by the frenzied visions from the one called The Crawling Chaos. H. P. Lovecraft was born in 1890 in Providence, Rhode Island, where he lived most of his life. Frequent illnesses in his youth disrupted his schooling, but Lovecraft gained a wide knowledge of many subjects through independent reading and study. He wrote many essays and poems early in his career, but gradually focused on the writing of horror stories, after the advent in 1923 of the pulp magazine Weird Tales, to which he contributed most of his fiction. His relatively small corpus of fiction—three short novels and about sixty short stories—has nevertheless exercised a wide influence on subsequent work in the field, and he is regarded as the leading twentieth-century American author of supernatural fiction. H. P. Lovecraft died in Providence in 1937. krājumā mans favorīts ir “Ārprāta kalni”. Šai stāstā autors ir noslēpis visas šausmas vienā no pēdējiem baltajiem plankumiem , kas vēl atlicis uz Zemes Antarktīdā. Zinātnieku ekspedīcija tur atrod ne tikai senu civilizāciju paliekas, bet arī vēl senākus šausmīgus notikumus, kas nav zaudējuši savu spēku un to vien gaida, lai apdraudētu mūsu civilizāciju. Jebkura jauna zinātnes nozare paver durvis atklājumiem un šajā stāstā gods atvērt Pandoras lādi tiek uzticēts arheoloģijai un polārpētniecībai. Neliela, bet labi finansēta ekspedīcija piedzīvo patiesu ārprātu vēl neatklātajā kontinentā, un izdzīvojušie vēlas, lai par viņu atklājumiem neviens nekad neuzzinātu. Episks stāsts, kurš ietekmēs literatūru, kinematogrāfiju un datorspēles vēl ilgi. 10 no 10 ballēm. The Call of Cthulhu is a narrative which concisely sets up the themes and horrors of Lovecraft's now iconic expanded universe of grotesque, dark literature about the emptiness of the universe and the threats posed by the eldritch abominations which we mere mortals cannot begin to fully perceive.

Select a format:

That is what almost all of The Call of Chthulu and Other Weird Stories felt like to me - a terrified narrator recounts a scarring encounter with an evil force as overwhelmingly powerful as it is vague. And I mean vague- trying to get a feel for the nature and appearance of the evil forces in Lovecraft's stories is a little like wearing dark glasses while trying to spot a green dog in a forest on a foggy night. Wow, Lovecraft created a pretty harrowing and dreadful piece without a single mention of the infamous elder gods or Lovecraftian monstrosities. This was pure gothic horror, much more akin to Joseph Sheridan Le Fanu with all of the romantic horrors of the unexplored and marvelous depictions of graveyards and all that jolly stuff. Very underrated Lovecraft story if you ask me, I’m surprised that Lovecraft himself hated it so much. A land of quaint gardens and cherry trees, and when the sun rose he beheld such beauty of red and white flowers, green foliage and lawns, white paths, diamond brooks, blue lakelets, carven bridges, and red-roofed pagodas.” The Call of Cthulhu and Other Weird Stories is Penguin Classics' first omnibus edition of works by seminal 20th-century American author H. P. Lovecraft. It was released in October 1999 and is still in print. The volume is named for the Lovecraft short story, " The Call of Cthulhu".

In a nutshell, H.P Lovecraft's The Call of Cthulu and Other Weird Stories is a worthwhile and challenging reading experience that I can only recommend to people who are prepared for something drastically eye-opening. The very best of the stories included in this anthology are like itches you can only keep scratching if the relief you garner from it also means that you have to bleed. The story overall has an intensely mysterious vibe with an exciting buildup, but what could have been an incredible twist ended up being something that had no merit and was rather degrading. For a long time, Lovecraft himself seemed to be a bit of a myth to me. Until recently, I have never read anything written by him and yet a disconcerting amount of pop culture I've consumed in my life (may that be a TV show such as Stranger Things or even a video game like Bloodborne) would be described as "Lovecraftian" by somebody who knew more about it than me. How could an author, who died as young as he did and who didn't even write a full-length novel influence an entire genre even a hundred years after his lifetime to this extent? It all lead me to believe that it was my fate to meet the so-called father of horror. Access-restricted-item true Addeddate 2021-10-08 09:16:56 Associated-names Joshi, S. T., 1958- Boxid IA40255711 Camera USB PTP Class Camera Collection_set printdisabled External-identifier H.P. Lovecraft lived in poverty most of his life, died a painful death at a young age, and only lived to see one of his novels published during his lifetime ( The Shadow Over Innsmouth). His short stories were also only published in pulp fiction magazines (mainly Weird Tales) during his lifetime, and were largely unappreciated. In my opinion it is one of the great tragedies in the history of literature that Lovecraft was not celebrated during his lifetime for his incredible works.I love the creeps, gore and the all-around horror in books. I watch American Horror Story religiously, I live by the code of The Slayers that Joss Whedon laid out for us in Buffy the Vampire Slayer, I research serial killers and studies of their psychological states and look forward to the month of October all year round. So as someone who would rather watch a scary movie or go through a museum filled to the tip of mass murder and corruption than go on some overly-dramatic, romantic date filled with dozens of roses and walks in the park, why doesn’t Lovecraft and King’s story telling agree with me?

• Fruugo ID: 258392218-563234582
  • EAN: 764486781913
  • Sold by: Fruugo

Delivery & Returns

Fruugo

Address: UK
All products: Visit Fruugo Shop