Pigeons: The Fascinating Saga of the World's Most Revered and Reviled Bird

Pigeons: The Fascinating Saga of the World's Most Revered and Reviled Bird

RRP: £99
Price: £9.9
£9.9 FREE Shipping

In stock

We accept the following payment methods

Description

My only criticism is that I thought it presented (in)breeding in a very neutral way even when describing certain breeds as literally incapable of feeding their young or flying. I would have liked an explicitly critical approach to some of the more clearly iffy aspects of the selective breeding of sentient animals, but still, based on the general tone and some comments about us having a moral responsibility to treat animals humanely, especially those that exist because of out domestication and breeding, I think the author’s ethics would align with mine there. I’m so used to naturalists being dismissive about or downright hateful of urban wildlife that the author’s tone, enthusiasm and compassion for pigeons was very welcome and refreshing, especially when it’s clearly in no way incompatible with her scientific approach. The pigeon is a fascinating creature. We owe them several technological innovations, most notably airmail; they are credited with saving thousands of lives and have been domesticated since the dawn of mankind. Fancy Pigeons: Containing Full Directions for Their Breeding and Management, With Descriptions of Every Known Variety, and all Other Information of In

Thanks to NetGalley and Workman Publishing Company for a free ARC of this book in exchange for an honest review.Pigeon-Keeping for Amateurs - A Complete and Concise Guide to the Amateur Breeder of Domestic and Fancy Pigeons Here in "USA" ,in YBS. and OBS. we fly race season ( YBS. 100-350 miles) (OBS. 100-600 miles) . I feel you are best suited to find birds that will compete from 100-600 miles. Yes ,their are families of birds that have that ability.

A wonderful introduction to pigeons and birdwatching in general! I have not grown up around pigeons, but I still was able to gain a great appreciation for their unique traits and also see how some of these general pigeon/dove family traits manifest in my local family of mourning doves. They're such sweet pudgy birbs to watch that I'm sure if I ever lived in a city, I'd adore the pigeons just as much... if nothing else for their spectacular color variations! Mosco details the genetics behind these pretty colors and fancy feathers, as well as going into pigeon-keeping history, how they came to be feral birds, and provides a detailed section on how to "read" pigeon language. She also provides a brief epilogue on how to apply some basic bird watching skills towards watching other common birds, so this makes a perfect gift for the beginning city birdwatcher. Wendell Mitchell Levi (1891 - 1976), a lifelong resident of Sumter, South Carolina, began raising pigeons in 1902 at the age of eleven. His childhood hobby evolved into a 75 year passion for the study of pigeons and firsthand involvement with all aspects of breeding them. He graduated from the College of Charleston in 1912 and the University of Chicago Law School in 1915. He returned to Sumter to practice law, but the lure of the pigeon was always there. There is so much to learn about pigeons- their history, their training techniques, breeding strategies- that it can be difficult to know where to start. Drawing on his years of experience, with an easy-to-read style and useful hints and tips, Lang has everything you need to know about pigeon care.The illustrations are just perfect, really, working efficiently to accurately show particular points of pigeon anatomy and behaviour without losing any of the personality of pigeons, and often adding funny elements. The colours are absolutely gorgeous, and the style is so consistent throughout. So impressed by the visual aspects of this book (including layout and general design).

Besides no Pigeon flies Long distance unless it is already has a strong Homing ability. homing ability does not just mean it can get Home, but that it also DESIRES to be Home, that desire with the proper "Body type" is what makes a great racer. I.E.... It comes home fast.I really enjoyed the read but did not read it in one sitting. I had to space it out solely because I had to process all the information I was being given. It is the kind of book you can have at home and peruse whenever you feel like pulling up some remarkable factoids. Keep collections to yourself or inspire other shoppers! Keep in mind that anyone can view public collections - they may also appear in recommendations and other places. Now for the pigeons. Instead of grapes or plates, the pigeons were presented with peas, which they find delicious. They consider milo seeds, also known as sorghum, less appealing but still palatable. When given the option of either a sole pea or a pea and a milo seed, however, the birds chose the pea and the milo seed. They appeared to behave more rationally than either humans or monkeys.

• Fruugo ID: 258392218-563234582
  • EAN: 764486781913
  • Sold by: Fruugo

Delivery & Returns

Fruugo

Address: UK
All products: Visit Fruugo Shop