Fragile Lives: A Heart Surgeon’s Stories of Life and Death on the Operating Table

£9.9
FREE Shipping

Fragile Lives: A Heart Surgeon’s Stories of Life and Death on the Operating Table

RRP: £99
Price: £9.9
£9.9 FREE Shipping

In stock

We accept the following payment methods

Description

One of those cases where I was in a funk and just going through OverDrive app, trying to find something different to listen to, that would lift me out of the fog and de-stress me.

Fragile Lives by Stephen Westaby | Book Review Fragile Lives by Stephen Westaby | Book Review

Pioneering surgery is now threatened by the blame culture. Even proven techniques are being rationed due to the focus on cost, whatever the benefit. Not everyone with the mutated FMR1 gene has symptoms of Fragile X syndrome, because the body may still be able to make FMRP. A few things affect how much FMRP the body can make: Pregnant women who have an FMR1 premutation or full mutation may pass that mutated gene on to their children. A prenatal test allows healthcare providers to detect the mutated gene in the developing fetus. This important information helps families and providers to prepare for Fragile X syndrome and to intervene as early as possible. The promoter part of the FMR1 gene includes many repeats—repeated instances of a specific DNA sequence called the CGG sequence. The FMR1 gene usually has between 6 and 40 repeats in the promoter; the average is 30 repeats. A powerful, important and incredibly moving book, Fragile Lives offers an exceptional insight into the exhilarating and sometimes tragic world of heart surgery, and how it feels to hold someone’s life in your hands.

Eligibility for Special Education

The number of repeats, also called the “size of the mutation,” affects the type of symptoms and how serious the symptoms of Fragile X syndrome will be. Inheriting Fragile X Syndrome His memoir of his career as a heart surgeon, Fragile Lives: A Heart Surgeon’s Stories of Life and Death on the Operating Table, was published in 2017 by HarperCollins. [4] The book was shortlisted for the 2017 Costa Book Awards Biography Award [5] and won the 2017 BMA president's choice award. [6] A second memoir, The Knife's Edge: The Heart and Mind of a Cardiac Surgeon, was published by HarperCollins in 2019. [7] Personal life [ edit ] Westaby and his team performed Peter Houghton's heart operation in June 2000, implanting a Jarvik 7 artificial left ventricular assist device, a turbine pump. Peter Houghton (1938–2007) became the longest living person with an electrical heart pump in the world. [2] [3] I read this pretty much in one sitting - an incredibly emotional, informative and really very addictive memoir here from Stephen Westaby, I now know more about the human heart than I ever could imagine that I would.

Fragile Lives: A Heart Surgeon’s Stories of Life [PDF] [EPUB] Fragile Lives: A Heart Surgeon’s Stories of Life

The cases presented here were fascinating, engrossing, interesting, occasionally heartbreaking and also suspenseful (I occasionally (*cough*fairlyoften*cough*) sped up the narration to finish a tale or two or three before heading into work). Seeing what went on during the operations made me appreciate this profession and the ones who put their patients first. A full-frontal and thrilling portrayal. Each story in this fascinating book brings a new nail-biting surgical adventure... A gifted surgeon, Westaby is also a natural writer... Fragile Lives succeeds on many levels: political battle cry, chronicle of bloody feats, history of modern cardiology, tribute to patients and paean to surgery.’– Daily Telegraph The bureaucracy/politics of the medical system baffled me on more than one occasion. I shared Westaby's frustrations with it all and wanted to shake these people till common sense popped in their heads. (As my one friend said before... "This is why some people are frustrated with and/or hate the Health profession")A successful cardiac surgeon is a man who, when asked to identify the three best surgeons in the world, has difficulty in naming the other two.” A true trailblazer but oddly for a man of this nature and genius not at all egotistical, he came across brilliantly and all the stories he told, all the people he saved and the ones he couldn't will stay with me for a long long time.

Fragile Lives: A Heart Surgeon’s Stories of Listen Free to Fragile Lives: A Heart Surgeon’s Stories of

The narrator brings everything to life wonderfully with writing that isn't top notch. Not bad, just awkward and clunky at times... it didn't deter me from going on with the book though. Everything discussed in here more than made up for it me in this case. We stop life and start it again, making things better, taking calculated risks.” Although the 2017 Wellcome Prize shortlist has only just been announced, this is my early favorite for the 2018 prize (for fiction and nonfiction on a medical theme). What Henry Marsh did for brain surgery in Do No Harm, Westaby does for cardiac surgery with this vivid, compassionate set of stories culled from a long career at the forefront of artificial heart technology. Prenatal testing is not very common, and many parents do not know they carry the mutation. Therefore, parents usually start to notice symptoms in their children when they are infants or toddlers. The average age at diagnosis is 36 months for boys and 42 months for girls. 2 Diagnosis of Children An incredible memoir from one of the world’s most eminent heart surgeons, recalling some of the most remarkable and poignant cases he’s worked on.

What Type of Classroom

This chart is meant for reference ONLY and should not take the place of a healthcare provider’s advice. Discuss any questions about medication with a healthcare provider. Symptom Physical. Most infants and younger children with Fragile X don’t have any specific physical features of this syndrome. When these children start to go through puberty, however, many will begin to develop certain features that are typical of those with Fragile X. I did have an issue with Dr Westbury though, as skilful as he may be, is that is his overall attitude towards the female species was baffling. He referred to a patient as "blonde and pretty", and another patient as "stunningly beautiful" and yet another female patient had apparently had her bum peeking out of the hospital gown because it wasn't done up properly. Dr Westbury just reeked of misogyny and he seemed to be rather egotistical in his manner, which didn't sit too kindly with me. Like Henry Marsh, Westaby has become disgruntled with an NHS bogged down in bureaucracy. It's only briefly mentioned at the end, but you can sense his frustration with the system in some of the cases. Who thinks it makes sense to send senior surgeons on courses to learn CPR? And the death list! Some government idiot decided to name and shame surgeons who have deaths on their operating tables. Seriously ill people will die sometimes. This just deters surgeons from taking risks, risks that could save lives. Most people given a chance of a slow and painful death or a risky surgery, would rather have the surgery. Instead they are filled with drugs and sent home to die. This is one of those books of medical true-life stories, but is more technical than most By the end, I knew a great deal more of the structure of the heart, blood chemistry and why making lots of pee is extremely important.

Fragile Lives by Stephen Westaby | Waterstones

I don’t know what I was expecting when I requested the book, but I have thoroughly enjoyed it. I do have to say I do know a bit regarding anatomy and physiology, and I did not expect the author to dive in it so deep on it. I mean, there are even diagrams and drawings explaining bits and bobs about how the heart and circulatory system works from a Doctors point of view. This has been very enjoyable, I loved how detailed some explanations were, mostly regarding surgeries and procedures. Those were my favourite bits. It was interesting but not in a patronizing way of “I know more than you look how cool am I and all the cool things I can do”. When Kawita became pregnant with their second child, Uttam worried they wouldn’t be able to afford the birth but then they heard about Penny Appeal’s new Health Centre. Kawita gave birth at our centre to a healthy baby, and both mother and child are dong wonderfully.In medicine, life and death are constantly intersecting. Live are fragile. While doctors strive to save every life, there are still times when even their best efforts fall short. It is in times like these that it is so tempting to descend into a maelstrom of despondency. Yet, it is also in times like these that strength must prevail, and one must carry on in spite of regret and failure. Most children with Fragile X can benefit from special education services that are tailored to their particular strengths and weaknesses. Educational treatments should take the child’s specific symptoms of Fragile X into account to promote the best learning environment. Eligibility for Special Education

• Fruugo ID: 258392218-563234582
  • EAN: 764486781913
  • Sold by: Fruugo

Delivery & Returns

Fruugo

Address: UK
All products: Visit Fruugo Shop