A Time of Gifts: On Foot to Constantinople: from the Hook of Holland to the Middle Danube

£9.9
FREE Shipping

A Time of Gifts: On Foot to Constantinople: from the Hook of Holland to the Middle Danube

RRP: £99
Price: £9.9
£9.9 FREE Shipping

In stock

We accept the following payment methods

Description

Forgotten the title or the author of a book? Our BookSleuth is specially designed for you. Visit BookSleuth

During periods of leave, Leigh Fermor spent time at Tara, a villa in Cairo rented by Moss, where the "rowdy household" of SOE officers was presided over by Countess Zofia (Sophie) Tarnowska. [2] Wartime honours [ edit ] Leigh Fermor, photographed by Dimitri Papadimos The vaults of the great chamber faded into infinity through blue strata of smoke. Hobnails grated, mugs clashed and the combined smell of beer and bodies and old clothes and farmyards sprang at the newcomer. I squeezed in at a table full of peasants, and was soon lifting one of those masskrugs to my lips. It was heavier than a brace of iron dumb-bells, but the blond beer inside was cool and marvelous, a brooding, cylindrical litre of Teutonic myth. Our special anniversary Slightly Foxed 2024 Wall Calendar is here, featuring a selection of readers’ favourite Slightly Foxed cover artwork from the past 20 years.

A Time to Keep Silence (1957), with photographs by Joan Eyres Monsell. [39] This was an early product of the Queen Anne Press, a company managed by Leigh Fermor's friend Ian Fleming. In it he describes his experiences in several monasteries, and the profound effect the time spent there had on him. A Time of Gifts, whose introduction is a letter to his wartime colleague Xan Fielding, recounts Leigh Fermor's journey as far as the Middle Danube. A second volume, Between the Woods and the Water (1986), begins with the author crossing the Mária Valéria bridge from Czechoslovakia into Hungary and ends when he reaches the Iron Gate, where the Danube formed the boundary between the Kingdom of Yugoslavia and Romania. A planned third volume of Leigh Fermor's journey to its completion in Constantinople was never completed. In 2011 Leigh Fermor's publisher John Murray announced that it would publish the final volume, drawing from his diary at the time and an early draft that he wrote in the 1960s; [3] The Broken Road, edited by Artemis Cooper, was published in September 2013. [4] Description [ edit ] The Life And Times Of Edward Alleyn, Actor, Master Of The King's Bears, Founder Of The College Of God's Gift At Dulwich, With A Briefaccount Of The . In 1857 And A Note On The Picture Gallery

Many years after his travel, Leigh Fermor's diary of the Danubian leg of his journey was found in a castle in Romania and returned to him. [5] He used it in his writing of the book, which also drew on the knowledge he had accumulated in the intervening years. The greatest of living travel writers…an amazingly complex and subtle evocation of a place that is no more.”— Jan Morris Recovers the innocence and the excitement of youth, when everything was possible and the world seemed luminescent with promise. …Even more magical…through Hungary, its lost province of Transylvania, and into Romania… sampling the tail end of a languid, urbane and anglophile way of life that would soon be swept away forever.”—Jeremy Lewis, Literary Review O'Reilly, James; Habegger, Larry; O'Reilly, Sean (2010). The Best Travel Writing 2010: True Stories from Around the World. Travelers' Tales. p.17. ISBN 9781932361735. After living with her for many years, Leigh Fermor was married in 1968 to the Honourable Joan Elizabeth Rayner (née Eyres Monsell), daughter of Bolton Eyres-Monsell, 1st Viscount Monsell. She accompanied him on many travels until her death in Kardamyli in June 2003, aged 91. They had no children. [23] They lived part of the year in a house in an olive grove near Kardamyli in the Mani Peninsula, southern Peloponnese, and part of the year in Gloucestershire.Boukalas, Pantelis (7 February 2010). "Υποθέσεις"[Hypotheses] (in Greek) . Retrieved 16 April 2019. It was still a couple of hours till dawn when we dropped anchor in the Hook of Holland. Snow covered everything and the flakes blew in a slant across the cones of the lamps and confused the glowing discs that spaced out the untrodden quay. I hadn’t known that Rotterdam was a few miles inland. I was still the only passenger in the train and this solitary entry, under cover of night and hushed by snow, completed the illusion that I was slipping into Rotterdam, and into Europe, through a secret door. Joan Leigh Fermor". The Independent. 10 June 2003. Archived from the original on 25 May 2022 . Retrieved 11 November 2018. Chancellor, Henry (2005). James Bond: The Man and His World. London: John Murray. p.43. ISBN 978-0-7195-6815-2. This tendency to use words just because he knows them often spoils Leigh Fermor’s prose for me. I grant that his verbal facility is extraordinary. But to what purpose? He is like a virtuoso jazz pianist who shows off his chops in every solo, even on the ballads, without tact or taste. This comes out most clearly in his architectural passages:

• Fruugo ID: 258392218-563234582
  • EAN: 764486781913
  • Sold by: Fruugo

Delivery & Returns

Fruugo

Address: UK
All products: Visit Fruugo Shop