If I Can't Have You: A Compulsive, Darkly Funny Story of Heartbreak and Obsession

£9.9
FREE Shipping

If I Can't Have You: A Compulsive, Darkly Funny Story of Heartbreak and Obsession

RRP: £99
Price: £9.9
£9.9 FREE Shipping

In stock

We accept the following payment methods

Description

Kiirsi then phoned the Relief Society president—the head of their ward's women's group—and the two of them joined Jennifer at the Powell house and talked to the police. West Valley City police issued a statewide attempt-to-locate bulletin so that law enforcement in other jurisdictions would be on the lookout for the Powells' 2005 light blue Chrysler Town & Country minivan. The police sent Jennifer home so they could search the house. This psychological thriller is a darkly twisted tale of love and obsession written in the form of a detailed letter from Constance to Samuel, the object of her desire, and is a twisted blend of "Fatal Attraction" and "Gone Girl". I couldn't help but feel sorry for Constance even if she was a tad psycho. It was Samuel and Dale that I loathed the most...and I had to question who was the most twisted one of them all?

Like many others, I followed this case compulsively when it was in the news. The book reports, in great detail, of what happened. But more than that, it functions as a reminder of other important things: If Josh Powell had thought he could thwart the detectives and the investigation with this obvious deception, he was wrong. It would take some effort to gather billing records from the service providers, but it could be done. They all stared" it held my attention as we travelled a journey with main character Constance who writes a letter to Samuel explaining her thoughts and actions. She works as a receptionist at a doctors' surgery and falls head over heels with the new recruit. He(Samuel) bubbles along through life merrily using and abusing women for sex and dropping them as and when he chooses. She does not see his treatment of her as horrific and instead chooses to see him as the object of her love and devotion and refuses to walk away from him, as so many people have done in her life, who supposedly loved her. quote "It's funny, grief, isn't it? How you die with them. Whoever you were before has gone +... "unquote) She stayed up for hours, reliving the vivid scene over and over and wondering what her brother had done to his wife.It turns out that there was much more to the story than I knew going into If I Can't Have You. There's the self-centred husband and father who appeared to view his family as a form of property. The obsessive and delusional father-in-law with a laundry list of sexual deviancies. The public battle over the missing Susan Powell's reputation, which divides two families. The questionable police work done in the months and years following Susan's disappearance. And, of course, the brutal murder-suicide that caps the whole tragic tale.

This is superb . . . and compulsive and disturbing and very well done indeed' Harriet Tyce, author of Blood Orange JoVonna was frustrated. "No, she's not at work. We're really worried, Josh. You didn't go to work." The Deep Dark was named Idaho Book of the Year by the ILA and Starvation Heights was honored by Washington’s Secretary of State for the book’s contribution to Washington state history and culture. I'm not able to grasp why these words left her mouth or why Lasseter thought it a good idea to include this. That sentence alone tells me she's not smart enough to tell me anything. I can't imagine how many women this will piss off. And this is a doctor that said this. She and Lasseter, IMO, slammed any and every woman and man who have ever been a victim of rape or attempted rape. My head spins when I think about this world I inhabit sometimes. Indeed I was. Originally Levin’s novel was entitled An Explanation of Love - and stripped down to its barest bones, that’s just what it is - an explanation of what love is and what love isn’t. When the new doctor at the surgery where Constance works as a receptionist shows an interest in her, she thinks she is falling in love, except that what transpires between she and Samuel Stevens is anything but love.

Asked to relate the events of Sunday, a nervous Josh couldn't remember what Susan was wearing, and explained again how she had been tired and had laid down. Later she had gotten out of bed and they had hot dogs and watched The Santa Clause 2. Or maybe it was The Santa Clause 3. Braden had fallen asleep, so Josh took just Charlie sledding at a park near Whittier Elementary School, although in one version of his story both boys went sledding. When they got home, Susan was watching TV. Josh read the boys a story, then he began to clean the couch with his new Rug Doctor, a vacuum cleaning system he had spent several hundred dollars on a couple of weeks before.

• Fruugo ID: 258392218-563234582
  • EAN: 764486781913
  • Sold by: Fruugo

Delivery & Returns

Fruugo

Address: UK
All products: Visit Fruugo Shop