Thenford: The Creation of an English Garden

Thenford: The Creation of an English Garden

RRP: £40.00
Price: £20
£20 FREE Shipping

In stock

We accept the following payment methods

Description

Michael Ray Dibdin Heseltine, Baron Heseltine, CH, PC is a British Conservative politician and businessman. It makes you nostalgic for a certain stripe of patrician Conservative, now in short supply, who viewed the sensible stewardship of the nation as their natural responsibility, and didn’t much care if they seemed remote in exercising it.

As we delve into the political landscape of the 1990s, this snapshot offers us a unique insight into the dynamics within influential households during times of transition.They describe the ups and downs of how they set about transforming and expanding a wild, overgrown and often dilapidated woodland at Thenford into the magnificent garden they have today. The image was captured during a time when speculation ran rampant that her husband might assume the role of Prime Minister, succeeding Mrs. So there's that wonderful moment when there are primroses, snowdrops and forgetmenots altogether in the spring garden, and it’s suddenly a sea of bloom.

The idea behind Thenford was ‘to create a set of gardens that are like different rooms’, says Michael. Read more about the condition New: A new, unread, unused book in perfect condition with no missing or damaged pages. She didn’t know anything about gardening at all, which was rather a pity, and she kept wanting to bring Michael back to politics. Taken though I am with the image of Tarzan taking potshots from the golf buggy, I suspect it’s probably mostly the work of Thenford’s dozen gardeners. I can tell you exactly when I feel it most,” Michael says, “on a cold January day when I’m out shooting, and I say to myself: ‘Why am I doing this?An image arrives of a prehistoric political titan, mace in hand, doggedly propelling his stone-age vehicle onwards with his feet. Read more the creation of an English garden that you are ever likely to have the privilege of reading . In their own words, Michael and Anne Heseltine describe the ups and downs of how they set about transforming and expanding a wild, overgrown and often dilapidated woodland at Thenford into the magnificent garden they have today. When he is asked about his greatest political legacy, Michael is fond of answering that his garden will outlast all of it. If all this – anxiety at the influx of the great unwashed; shooting; that throne – give an impression of elitism, the Heseltines are bracingly unconcerned.

We’re meeting the day after David Cameron’s former spin doctor Craig Oliver’s incendiary diaries were splashed across the Mail on Sunday, revealing the bitter divides that the referendum created in the government, and putting the boot into Brexiteers such as Boris Johnson.These high-quality greeting cards offer a unique and intriguing glimpse into British political history, making them a must-have for history enthusiasts and collectors alike.

• Fruugo ID: 258392218-563234582
  • EAN: 764486781913
  • Sold by: Fruugo

Delivery & Returns

Fruugo

Address: UK
All products: Visit Fruugo Shop