Freckles: The gripping and emotional Sunday Times top ten bestseller from million-copy bestselling author Cecelia Ahern: The uplifting and emotional ... million-copy bestselling author Cecelia Ahern

£8.495
FREE Shipping

Freckles: The gripping and emotional Sunday Times top ten bestseller from million-copy bestselling author Cecelia Ahern: The uplifting and emotional ... million-copy bestselling author Cecelia Ahern

RRP: £16.99
Price: £8.495
£8.495 FREE Shipping

In stock

We accept the following payment methods

Description

I’ve been a fan of Cecelia Ahern since PS I love you, so I knew I had to read this book. What I love most about her books is that they are all so different and different writing styles too, but all focus on relationships between the characters at the core. All Allegra has ever wanted was to join the Garda, but when that falls through, she moves to Dublin to work as a traffic warden and look for her mother. I’ve already decided I’m not going to answer that question, because I don’t even know who the five people are and I don’t even want to think about it ... I know that’s a really horrible answer, but it’s not why I write the books. All I can do is create a character and tell the story from her perspective, how she sees it ... that’s how I write. Otherwise I’d be doing what you do, which is non-fiction, but that’s a skill I don’t have.” Star-Studded Darkly Comedic Anthology Series “Roar” to Premiere Globally Friday, April 15, 2022 on Apple TV+

An unpleasant encounter with the owner of a Ferrari issued with many parking fines triggers Allegra; she starts looking at who and what made her, especially who are her five people who matter the most. Some unpleasant realisations push her to the limit. She and her books have won numerous awards, including the Irish Book Award for Popular Fiction for The Year I Met You.Allegra’s not the easiest person to like at times. I would assume, although it is not specifically said, she is on the autism spectrum. However, without spoiling, Allegra is used, abused and let down so many times, I just prayed there would be some sort of happy ending eventually. On that score, I don’t think it’s a spoiler to say Ahern includes a lovely romance for Allegra. If you’re not a romance fan, fear not, as it’s not the entire focus of the plot. Instead, it’s the strength of family and unexpected friendships which make the book so special. Das war wohl nichts. Ahern hat versucht ein Buch im Stile von „Eleanor Oliphant“ zu schreiben, dabei aber leider kläglich versagt. Das Buch scheint keinen Plot oder ersichtlichen roten Faden zu haben, und die Protagonistin ist (im Vergleich zu Eleanor Oliphant) dann doch nicht interessant oder ulkig genug, um die Geschichte zu tragen. Allegra realises she can’t even pin five people into her life, let alone them leaving their mark on her. But through this, and a side story of looking for her mother, Allegra develops and comes to realise that sometimes what you were looking for is what you have all along.

This book surprised me in how much I ended up enjoying it by the end (genuine tears in my eyes/lump in my throat at some bits at the end!). I think I was being a bit snobby thinking this was going to be fine, but nothing amazing and while it wasn't the best book I've read this year, I thoroughly enjoyed the story and Allegra's journey. Een vriendin met een rugzak en vanaf het moment dat ze Tristan ontmoet gaat ze op zoek naar haar vijf. Ze gaat op zoek naar zichzelf en naar wie ze wil zijn. En op een gegeven moment herkende ik delen van mezelf in Allegra. Die stoere, lieve meid. Die onwijs sterke meid, een doorzetter. Ze werd een voorbeeld voor mij en ik heb haar in mijn hart gesloten. Ze hield me een spiegel voor: álles kan als je in jezelf gelooft.Butler, Laura (27 July 2012). "Baby boy for Cecelia and David". Herald.ie. Herald.ie . Retrieved 27 June 2014. MyHome.ie (Opens in new window) • Top 1000 • The Gloss (Opens in new window) • Recruit Ireland (Opens in new window) • Irish Times Training (Opens in new window) While the book is predictable to a great extent (which women’s fiction isn’t?), I admired how it didn’t succumb to the romance trope. “Boy and girl means boy falls in love with girl and vice versa”. Not in this book, no. I found that very refreshing.

It's Allegra's relationship with the owner of the yellow car (Rooster) that shape her decisions. Rooster - also known as Tristan is a youtube gaming star and he tells Allegra 'you are the average of the five people you spend the most time with.' This turns Allegras life upside down and she begins to question her life and the people that she shares it with. After completing a degree in Journalism and Media Communications, Cecelia wrote her first novel at 21 years old. Her debut novel, PS I Love You was published in January 2004, and was followed by Where Rainbows End (aka Love, Rosie) in November 2004. Both novels were adapted to films; PS I Love You starred Hilary Swank and Gerard Butler, and Love, Rosie starred Lily Collins and Sam Claflin. Cecelia Ahern Opts For Unusual Name As She Welcomes Third Child". 7 October 2019 . Retrieved 1 October 2023. I can honestly say listening to the audio version of this book left me in such a better mood. Cecelia Ahern has a great way of writing romance, with a huge slice of humour. It's one of those books that you enjoy every second of and find yourself smiling your way through, with some real laugh out loud moments too.

BookBliss

Cecilia Ahern has always been one of my favourite authors, therefore I was over the moon to be able to provide an honest review of her newest novel. The 10 hour long audiobook is narrated by Amy McAllister and she is fabulous. She brings not just Allegra to life but imbues all characters with appropriate emotions. Her accent, her enunciation, her moods... all match the character she was voicing. Because of the relatively slow pace of the book, I think it ought to work much better as an audiobook. There were moments in this that were hard to read due to a myriad of reasons from Allegra's experience of self harm when she was younger, to even the awkward and second hand embarrassment a reader could feel when she was committing a social faux pas. I loved Allegra's job as a still life model, and this control over her body, and the way she was able to see parts of herself in others work was just so interesting to read. A: I think that they’ve been adapted because of the writing style. My writing is very visual, when I’m writing, I see the scene, it’s like I’m watching a film in my head and then I write what I see. My novels are also largely high concept with premises that have a strong hook which appeals to film and tv producers. I have never written a book specifically for it to be a TV show or film because I think that would destroy the integrity of the novel being a novel. However when I wrote ROAR, my first collection of short stories, I wanted to bring them to TV immediately before they were even published. They’re a peculiar whimsical collection quite different to my novels, they’re very visual and I didn’t think my publishers would want to publish them so I was focusing on bringing them to TV. They got TV’s attention and then the publishers wanted to publish. Cecelia Ahern with her parents, Bertie Ahern and Miriam Ahern, at a party to celebrate worldwide sales of 10 million of her books, in 2008. Photograph: Dara Mac Dónaill

I struggled with the plot most of the way through. At first, I felt engaged with this small town, her life as a traffic warden and the strict routine of the day, but it lost its shine with repetitiveness. By half way, the pace was slow and I'd lost interest. I didn't feel much by the culmination. Cecelia Ahern is represented by Theresa Park at Park & Fine Literary and Media in New York, and Howie Sanders at Anonymous Content for TV and film.I think the narrator of the audiobook was absolutely perfect for playing Allegra Bird. Her voice was so lovely to listen to, who doesn't love an Irish accent. But she also managed to get the humour down, she was so funny. Cecelia Ahern (born 30 September 1981) is an Irish novelist, known for her works like PS, I Love You; Where Rainbows End; and If You Could See Me Now. Born in Dublin, Ahern is now published in nearly fifty countries, and has sold over 25 million copies of her novels worldwide. Two of her books have been adapted as major motion films. The short story collection Roar has been adapted as a series for Apple TV+. When a stranger sets her mind running with the sentence “You are the average of the five people you spend the most time with”, this begins a journey for Allegra to find out who in her life makes her who she is. I didn't bother reading the blurb, so I had no expectations. Based solely on the cover, I was hoping it wasn't going to be a historical fiction novel, and I was glad to discover it was a contemporary novel. It was also great to have just one POV for a change. What stood out for me, particularly since I was listening to the audiobook, was how natural and believable the narrator was. The voice is very important, especially when it comes to the first-person point of view. I was gripped early on and found ways to keep listening.

• Fruugo ID: 258392218-563234582
  • EAN: 764486781913
  • Sold by: Fruugo

Delivery & Returns

Fruugo

Address: UK
All products: Visit Fruugo Shop