She's Come Undone

She's Come Undone

RRP: £9.99
Price: £4.995
£4.995 FREE Shipping

In stock

We accept the following payment methods

Description

Wayne from Erie, PaI had always assumed the songwriter was referring to Art Linkletter's unfortunate daughter who, in the late 1960s, dropped acid, found a mountain that was far too high (a high-rise) and, believing she could fly, leaped to her death. This was a news item about six months before the appearance of the song. Coincidence, I guess. "Too many churches, not enough truth.." Eloquent, Randy. A heroine to cheer for … This supremely touching journey to adulthood may remind you of "The World According to Garp" and other sagas of emotional liberation."

Movie was a great idea. As for characters; I would have no idea how to second guess the professionals, since I rarely watch a movie and do not know who the current actors are. She doesn't tell him that she basically stalked him, and they start a relationship fast. Before you know it, Dolores is pregnant (she lied about being on the pill, too) and Dante wants her to get an abortion. Reluctantly, she does. Then they get married, and it's all downhill as Dante starts cheating and becoming abusive… just like Dolores's father. Just under two months later on October 12th, 1969 it entered Billboard's Hot Top 100 chart at position #78; and on November 23rd, 1969 it peaked at #22 {for 1 week} and spent 10 weeks on the Top 100...The main character won my heart in the beginning, but later she lost my sympathy because of her behavior and some times aggressive/rude attitude. Eventually she won my sympathy again. Hard to read: For the same reasons that the book of Job is not your favorite book of the bible (If the book of Job is your favorite, either you need psychological counseling, or have evolved to a remarkably advanced spiritual state. Either way, you probably won’t get much from this review). The tribulations just keep coming. Guilt about parents divorcing? Daddy abandonment issues? That’s just the baseline. Let’s pile on a little molestation, rape, 150 or so excess pounds, several years in a psychiatric facility, peer rejection and gratuitous cruelty, marriage to a philandering narcissist, abortion, and the death of almost everyone dear to you. You can almost hear Satan betting with that dear old-Testament God. Dolores’s failure to conceive is almost a relief – at least we’re spared the prospect of a child-immolation scene. This is a work of fiction and full of dramas. To some readers a person weighting 254 pounds may not seem too heavy, but for a 13 years old girl (or any teenager) facing school, there is no doubt.

Nearly 200 titles into my audiobook habit, I'm still trying to figure out what makes for a good listen vs. a traditional read, especially within my favorite genres. I've grown somewhat wary of audio editions of literary novels -- they are almost always character-driven and light on plot, and therefore difficult in some cases to follow in audio. But it's still my favorite style of fiction, so I keep trying. Dolores had a crappy life. Her father who she loved walks out on Dolores and her mother. Mom has to work for the first time in her life and Dolores becomes a latchkey kid. She took solace in eating after she was horribly raped by a neighbor. She ate until she got really big. She ate to fill the hole inside of herself and to take away the pain. It didn't work. It wasn't so bad until her mother died, and it really went downhill. With the exception of Delores's college "companions" most all the other characters she encounters are fully developed and interesting. They all appear in Delores's life for a reason, enriching her and teaching her a lesson, though not always a lesson Delores learns from. In the literal sense, " come undone" refers to something becoming untied, unwrapped, unfastened, etc. In the figurative sense, it means that something has either not gone as planned,or has failed in some way. E.g. a plan can come undone meaning it hasn't worked as expected. A person can come undone meaning that they have lost their composure or self-control.In "She's Come Undone," an ambitious, often stirring and hilarious book, Mr. Lamb gives his vociferous heroine truly heroic proportions, in both the physical and the psychical sense. Describe the character development in She's Come Undone. How does Wally Lamb use language and imagery to bring the characters to life? She's Come Undone is the story of a troubled teenage girl growing into a woman, her struggles and the ways in which she decides to cope with them. In this engaging first novel, narrator Dolores Price recounts her life story from age four to age 40. By now, Dolores is in her late 30s and is depressed by the idea that she will never be a mother. Thayer, now her husband, takes her on a whale watching vacation to help her feel better. While on the boat, Dolores muses about her past and future. Dolores decides that her life, as it is now, is wonderful and is enough. The novel ends with her being the only one to see a whale breach the ocean, symbolizing her newfound peace.

• Fruugo ID: 258392218-563234582
  • EAN: 764486781913
  • Sold by: Fruugo

Delivery & Returns

Fruugo

Address: UK
All products: Visit Fruugo Shop