Floodland

Floodland

RRP: £8.99
Price: £4.495
£4.495 FREE Shipping

In stock

We accept the following payment methods

Description

It follows a fictional girl's story as she tries to find her parents, who mistakenly leaves her behind in Norwich - now an island in the middle of the rising seas. The lead character, Zoe, was strong and independent child who was able to deal with the challenges of survival.

A middle-grade short novel about a post-global-warming world in which much of what was England is now under water. I definitely would not have picked this book up if it weren't for school, because the writing and story just aren't my favorite, but it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. Floodland is a challenging novel for older readers who will be captivated by a vision of the future that is not so unbelievable. Update 22/10/2020 - In response to many requests, I have converted the SMART Notebook screens to Powerpoint, so there is also a 123 page Powerpoint presentation included for the teaching sequence for those unable to access SMART Notebook files.The main idea of the book which is global warming, gives the children a perspective about how the future would be if humans keep on neglecting the environmental issues. The belief that she will one day find her parents spurs Zoe on to a dramatic escape in a story of courage and determination that is handled with warmth and humanity. Rest assured though it’s not a rant about that but the author brilliantly interweaves our possible future into an utterly compelling story. After reading this book, I resolved myself to walk more or ride a bike more than riding cars to delay global warming, or save electricity to emit less carbon dioxide. After seeing Floodland used in a Year 5 class on my last placement I was pleasantly surprised at its many uses within the classroom and its cross curricular links.

I enjoyed listening to the children's interesting discussions about how we can reduce the effects by changing our behavior.It reminded me of zombie apocalypse films where humanity either turns on each other or works together. If it was that tragedy brings out the worst in humans then it did a good job but it didn't go deep enough. An easy and quick read that is set in the near future where global warming causes sea levels to rise, which then causes floods. Despite its age, it has stood the test of time due to the topicality of climate change and the possible dystopian future that the book is set in.

The themes it throws up link to a number of topics from rivers, oceans, humanity, and global warming. Zoe faces many challenges on her journey, particularly when stopping at a small "island" of an old cathedral that is overrun with wild children competing for space and resources.This book was the winner of the Branford Boase Award 2001 and marked the start of author Marcus Sedgwick’s multi-award-winning career. Supplies were running out and six months previously when the boat came to drop off supplies for the last time Zoe’s parents make it out but she is left behind. I encourage readers to start exploring the climate fiction genre more, but not necessarily with this title. I think children should read this because it has a plethora of adventure and amazing emotions go into the book.

• Fruugo ID: 258392218-563234582
  • EAN: 764486781913
  • Sold by: Fruugo

Delivery & Returns

Fruugo

Address: UK
All products: Visit Fruugo Shop