Imogen, Obviously: New for 2023, from the bestselling author of Simon vs the Homo Sapiens Agenda

£4.495
FREE Shipping

Imogen, Obviously: New for 2023, from the bestselling author of Simon vs the Homo Sapiens Agenda

RRP: £8.99
Price: £4.495
£4.495 FREE Shipping

In stock

We accept the following payment methods

Description

I think this book veered a bit into being preachy about acceptance, mostly because the author personally feels so strongly about it, but I aside from that, I think it was a really well done story. I don't read enough sapphic romances, so when I read a story with a couple that really makes my heart sing, I latch on. I wish we got more of Tessa and Imogen's story from after they got together, or maybe this author could write more lesfic romances, because I thought she slayed that part of the story. And everyone in Pride Alliance talks about how hard it is to date people from our school. Gretchen says it’s because everyone knows everyone in Penn Yan. And you can’t exactly hold hands with a girl in the cafeteria when your teachers are friends with your homophobic parents. Hypothetically speaking, that is, since Mama Patterson isn’t homophobic and neither are my parents or Lili’s. But I guess homophobia managed to leak into the atmosphere somehow. Even Edith, who’s basically never not been out, hadn’t dated anyone before Zora. So that’s Kayla,” says Lili. “Tessa and Mika both had girlfriends in high school. Actually, middle school too, for Mika—they were with their ex for, like, five years. And Dec’s from Manhattan, so who even knows? He’s on a whole other level. It’s hard not to feel inadequate, you know?” And god — the romance?? ABSOLUTELY INCREDIBLE. I loved how real everything felt, from the jokes to the texts to the little details and discoveries they made about each other. Harriet and her historian father have transformed the old plantation in Louisiana where they live into an enslaved people’s museum, and the pair run tours together. While the loss of Harriet’s mother is still fresh, it’s the arrival of another mother that throws her world into chaos — that is, a mother-daughter duo with big plans for the property next door, including turning it into a wedding venue. And when her school announces it will be the new location for prom, Harriet is ready to use any power she can to cancel it. McWilliams is an expert at character building, and Harriet is a wonderful and welcome addition to YA.

there’s something beautiful there—a hand holding yours as you figure it out. knowing that when you’re ready to say the words, someone is there. But the fact that she thinks I’m wondering that? Like I’m that special kind of straight person who assumes all queer people can barely keep their pants on around her? If you want to write about defying stereotypes then maybe... Don't rely on stereotypes while telling your story?

I also loved the way that Imogen was struggling with the fact that one of her closest friends growing up was now off to college with new friends, new inside jokes, and a new life. That's such a relatable experience growing up and I could definitely relate to Imogen feeling like Lili had become a brand new person since she went to college and the way she felt guilty of being jealous over her new jokes with her new friends and feeling like she wasn't sure where she fit into that anymore.

Sexuality is fluid and exists on a spectrum—and can often be a difficult and complex aspect of our identity. What would you say to folks who might be grappling with their own identities or sexuality? Is there anything you know now that you wish someone had said to you? This is somewhat of a painful book. Painful because of what Imogen goes through with the self-doubt (exacerbated by a friend who does not behave in understanding ways for the majority of their interactions) but also painful because it's so heavily inspired by what the author herself went through. And so many others, in fact, who were forced to come out to be seen as an acceptable voice or presence in queer spaces. I hug Puppy the unicorn close to my chest. “So it’s just...I’m bisexual? And we used to date, but we’re friends now. And other than that—”Gosh, my brain is mush. You'll just have to take it from me that I, too, have a fat crush on Tessa now. Their lil romance did something to my lil heart and I'll probably be thinking about this book for the next week. Just look at them. And again, while it's obvious that this is coming from a personal place with Gretchen, there's just something so grating and irritating about the way she does this that it makes it hard to see her side in any way and she comes across as bitter that Imogen is getting close to the girl that Gretchen has had an incredibly random crush on throughout the book. overall, imogen, obviously was obviously an incredible read, espeically for the end of pride month! it was perfect for a summer afternoon, and it is so encouraging to see such good queer/bi representation in YA nowadays! Everyone in the friend’s group was a gem and I could honestly read more about them all. Imogen was precious and I just wanted her protected at all costs. And Tessa! Oh my. What a sweetheart. If only everyone could have their first crush/significant other be like Tessa.

• Fruugo ID: 258392218-563234582
  • EAN: 764486781913
  • Sold by: Fruugo

Delivery & Returns

Fruugo

Address: UK
All products: Visit Fruugo Shop