Cloud Busting: Puffin Poetry

Cloud Busting: Puffin Poetry

RRP: £7.99
Price: £3.995
£3.995 FREE Shipping

In stock

We accept the following payment methods

Description

Davey’s capacity to perceive the world in a multi-sensory way is one of the talents he passes to Sam. For example, favourite food becomes “…daydreams in your mouth…Or wishes down your throat…” Discuss everyday items and experiences, or use photos of familiar places, and help children develop their use of metaphor by exploring senses and linking one positive idea with another: a delicious taste is wonderful, as are star beams, so favourite food could become “star beams on your tongue”. You can’t taste a star beam; you see it – the effect is achieved by mixing sensory experiences, and it takes a great deal of imagination. As Sam finds, it’s hard at first, but improves with exercise. This chapter not only exemplifies Haiku; it even explains the five – seven –five syllable pattern, “a pure, paced rhythm…....so let your mind soar.” Sam’s Haiku for Davey is powerful partly because it is so simple: compacted, concentrated emotion. First allow children to talk about people, pets or experiences that they love or have loved; support their development of content, then help with vocabulary choices that will meet the syllable requirement of a Haiku.

As a class, children will discuss what they know, and what they can infer, about the main characters based on their reading so far. In their independent activities, they will rewrite the 'fizzy feet' scene from Davey's point of view. In the alternative activity provided, children are challenged to gather appropriate words and phrases to write a haiku about Davey. It is hard to define as a poem / novel but it covers issues of bullying, being new in school and many aspects of friendship and trust. It could be used for PHSE sessions but I have read it out loud to 3 different year 5 / 6 classes and they all got engrossed in the plot beyond the poetry. It was also noticeable that the boys in particular wanted to know more about what would happen next. - Result!!

Davey is the new boy in class and Sam can't stand him. He thinks Davey is a Grade A moron. But when the two are thrown together Sam discovers that Davey's eccentric way of looking at the world makes life a lot more fun. Until the day something terrible happens... Having delved into his conscience, recreate the scene with Sam, Alex and Davey in simple freeze-frame, and have children suggest the thoughts going through each character’s mind. Take suggestions, too, on body language for each boy at that dreadful moment. Prepare children for the key themes of the story by discussing their ideas of belonging and times when they have felt the need to conform. Warm thinking up with open questions such as, “Is it important to fit in?” and “Do we all see things in the same way?” Have children think about other stories from books, television and film where “difference” defines a character and marks them out for bullying, for greatness, or maybe both. Prepare children for the key themes of the story by discussing their ideas of belonging and times when they have felt the need to conform. Warm thinking up with open questions such as, “Is it important to fit in?” and “Do we all see things in the same way?” Have children think about other stories from books, television and film where “difference” defines a character and marks them out for bullying, for greatness, or maybe both. Working with the text

I wonder how it feels to be so full of light, so full of joy, and yet so small when compared to the sky. Have children generate their own questions, and explore them independently and with adult facilitation. Should Philosophy for Children be encouraged in your school, Cloud Busting offers plenty upon which to ponder.It looks at friendship, the beauty of accepting people’s differences and how those differences can serve to enrich a person’s character. Claire's dad is a top inventor. He has been working on a secret project. Claire is sad that her dad has been ignoring her whilst he has been working on his project... I read this with my Y7 class. I've never taught a novel-in-verse before let alone read one. The different styles of poetry are used effectively to enhance the build up of story and character. Sam and Davey are wonderful characters and I appreciate how the situation is told from a 1st hand perspective - a very different perspective I might add.

• Fruugo ID: 258392218-563234582
  • EAN: 764486781913
  • Sold by: Fruugo

Delivery & Returns

Fruugo

Address: UK
All products: Visit Fruugo Shop