0121 Do One - Sarcastic Birmingham & West Midlands put down T-Shirt

0121 Do One - Sarcastic Birmingham & West Midlands put down T-Shirt

RRP: £99
Price: £9.9
£9.9 FREE Shipping

In stock

We accept the following payment methods

Description

First, I must make an important disclaimer. I am not, technically, a Brummie. My family are all Brummies, though they’ve mostly scattered out of the second city. I’ve always lived in the West Midlands, and a few years ago, I moved to Birmingham as a student. Growing up close to the city, the Brummie accent and dialect triggers many fond memories of my childhood, and living in the city means I hear it everywhere I go. Bab – Nice and simple, bab is a word similar to ‘love’, or ‘dear’. It’s a term of endearment, perhaps slightly more often directed at women, but applicable to people of all gender identities. Anyone can be a ‘bab’, from someone you know and love, to someone you’ve just met.

Mom – We know, very American. For some reason, Brummies call their mothers ‘Mom’ rather than ‘Mum’ or ‘Mam’, and we’re disappointed that the card retailers in the area haven’t updated their Mothers’ Day cards accordingly. Ark at that – This one probably originated in the West Country, but has travelled across to the West Midlands. It is an instruction to look or listen to something that someone has said, usually as a way to draw attention to something foolish. Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special. Face as long as Livery Street – Someone who looks unhappy. The phrase comes from the road running from Colmore Row to Constitution Hill, a half-mile in length.Tip-top – An ice-pop/lolly – a flavoured liquid, frozen in a long plastic tube. This is one that has lasted the test of time, stemming from the 90s. The regular vowel, ‘I’, is often pronounced as ‘oy’, like in ‘choice’ (for example, ‘Oy went to the shops’). Following this pattern, ‘price’ becomes ‘proys’. Town – We’re a city, not a town, but if you’re ‘going into town’, you’re headed straight to the city centre.

Do One – Get lost/go away. (0121 is the Birmingham dialling code). Brummies aren’t an unfriendly bunch, and the phrase is often said in jest. More generally, the Brummie accent has a bad reputation, met with a lot of stereotypes, and we have no idea why. It’s delightful, and Brummies are some of the friendliest people in the country. As for consonants, it’s the ‘g’ which makes a big difference. Words with an ‘ng’ sound, like singer, are given a much heavier ‘g’ sound (sin-Ga). However, words with an ‘ing’ ending are often just shortened to an ‘in’, cutting out the ‘g’ altogether, just to confuse you. You’re welcome. Shrapnel – Loose change. This word features all over the UK, but particularly in the Midlands, and I’ve received many confused looks from dropping it in the presence of non-Brummies. Perhaps that’s just because nobody carries change anymore, but we hope this word doesn’t die out.

The Ramp – Not necessarily slang, but a must-know location, ‘the ramp’ refers to the sloped path that takes you from the main high street to Grand Central shopping centre. It is home to a McDonalds, and is the unofficial meeting point for anyone in Birmingham. Meeting friends, family, or even a date? Chances are, they’ll ask you to meet at ‘Maccies on the ramp’. One of the biggest differences is the way Brummies pronounce their vowel sounds, which tend to be drawn out longer than in ‘standard English’, or received pronunciation (RP).

Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family. Entry – The alleyway between terraced houses. There are loads of these in Brum, so it makes sense we’ve developed our own word for them. Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in. Bluenose – A term traditionally used by Aston Villa Football Club fans to taunt their Birmingham City rivals, recently reclaimed by Birmingham City fans. Tea – This is one to confuse the Southerners, but put your kettle down, ‘tea’ is the evening meal, known as ‘dinner’ in RP.

Contains tracks

Even when using ‘standard’ English dialect, the Brummie accent is strong enough to confuse unfamiliar ears. Here is a brief list of some of the traits of the Brummie accent, to help you chit chat with the locals. Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together. Pop – Always refers to a drink, though people argue about what it means, specifically. Many use it to refer to fizzy drinks, like lemonade, but some insist that this is ‘fizzy pop’, and that normal pop is just squash. But they’re wrong, obviously. Some people also use ‘council pop’ to describe tap water. Round the Wrekin – Going the long way round, or telling a long story rather than getting to the point. Named after the Wrekin Hill in East Shropshire. Now it’s time for the slang terms, phrases and must-knows of the Brummie (and Yam Yam) regional dialect.

• Fruugo ID: 258392218-563234582
  • EAN: 764486781913
  • Sold by: Fruugo

Delivery & Returns

Fruugo

Address: UK
All products: Visit Fruugo Shop