A Time of Dread: 1 (Of Blood & Bone)

A Time of Dread: 1 (Of Blood & Bone)

RRP: £99
Price: £9.9
£9.9 FREE Shipping

In stock

We accept the following payment methods

Description

You should see your GP if anxiety is affecting your daily life or is causing you distress. Psychological symptoms of GAD We live our lives through Truth and Courage. Love and loyalty, friendship and honour are our guiding lights.”

In any case, if you know John Gwynne then you know that things end on a pretty dire note. And perhaps you also realise how much of an understatement that is. I think I can get away with saying that there are insane battles. That nobody is safe. And that I really hope John Gwynne knows how he’s going to get people out of this goddamn mess, because I sure don’t… The characters in this book and the classic fight between "good" and "evil" has much greater blurred lines in this book as compared to his previous works, and while the idea of writing "morally grey" characters is a popular thing in fantasy currently, Gwynne does an incredible job here and really making the reader question their preconceived notions about who is right and who is wrong. A Time of Blood is the second book in the “Of Blood and Bone” series and takes place immediately after the epic battle that happened in book 1. I find it hard to talk about the plot without spoiling the book so I won’t, but it was fast-paced, full of action and awesome battle scenes and emotions, as expected from Gwynne. There was much journeying in this book, as characters travelled through the Banished Lands to warn of the Kadoshim’s threat, or other characters whom serve the Kadoshim, try to prevent this from occurring. However this never became tedious. The pace didn’t really slow as the four main characters faced betrayals, hardship, warfare, and even a variety of monstrous creatures along the way. There was always something happening to hold my intrigue. In fact, my heart was racing throughout the whole book, fearing for all my favourites! Gwynne‘s novels definitely should come with a health warning! The characters in A Time of Dread are fantastic, with Drem being a particular favourite of mine. He is the son of a trapper but has grown up knowing very little about his mysterious father or long-dead mother. He is a good and honest young man, full of doubts about his own self worth and, rather endearingly, displays a few unusual coping mechanisms, like taking his own pulse to calm himself down and constantly reminding himself that his raw honesty is rarely appreciated. I can’t help imagining myself in this sort of situation, and I hope that I would have the strength of conviction and the moral compass Drem displays when looking after his friends and family. There is an earnestness to him, and Sig sums him up to a T:

Here’s a primer on the Banished Lands, its conflicted human occupants, and the forces of light and darkness determined to claim the world. How severe the symptoms are varies from person to person. Some people have only a few symptoms, while others have many more. Often, the best heroic fantasy is both intimate and epic, whether our hero is triumphing over inner demons – or the ones rampaging across the countryside. And John Gwynne is no stranger to either conflict. His books, set in the Banished Lands, sweep masterfully from bloody battlefields to fraught personal dilemmas, which culminate in tense, explosive climaxes. You cannot be truly brave unless you feel truly afraid. That's what courage is. Doing it anyway, even though you're scared. Sorry, terrified. And you did. You chose to fight. To step into that furnace of blood and madness and pain, and fight. Despite your fear."

The very idea of good versus evil strikes me as one of the most pernicious notions ever devised by human beings. It lets us burn a brand into the very soul of those we dislike and gives us the moral freedom to use whatever means, no matter how vile, to vanquish them. It turns our enemies into Tolkien's orcs – the infinitely abusable physical personifications of all we revile. Many fantasy authors nowadays, well aware of the clichéd baggage that comes along with "good versus evil" try to posit instead a kind of moral equivalency. It's a tactically useful device for modern fantasy, but one that's often unsatisfying because it removes any kind of real moral tension from the reader's experience. We're all bad. We're all good. So who cares? Just tell me who the enemy is and let’s go kill him. An accomplished and rousing tale of heroes and dark deed that fans of epic fantasy will devour."— Tom Lloyd This book is my fifth by the author, not only did I rate them all 5 stars, they are all in my favourite books shelf, am glad for that. So I'll be optimistic and expect the best from him, I didn't even notice until Petrik mentioned it.

Set in the same world as the Faithful and the Fallen quartet, the first novel in John Gwynne's Of Blood and Bone series, A Time of Dread, takes place one hundred years after the end of Wrath. While I didn’t love it as much as the first series, I’m really excited to see where Gwynne takes the story. His writing has improved (though I thought it was wonderful before), and this series is already less tropey that the one before it. While I enjoyed the first series because of the tropes, I’m incredibly interested to see what Gwynne does outside of them. After the initial opening battle scene, this has rather a slow start - but it takes a long time to build a world so wonderfully crafted. I felt fully immersed, and knew everything I needed to about the lay out of the lands and its vast history and cultures. I hadn't read anything by Gwynne before, and in some respects I felt I may have missed out on some of this rich past and history that readers of previous novels would relish to read about. This never detracted from my immense enjoyment however, but I definitely felt I could have had an even better reading experience if I'd started with Malice. This shows the quality of the writing here, as it takes a clever writer to be able to create such a colourful world and gently guide us through hundreds of years of history without confusing the reader and allowing themselves to get distracted by meandering side stories. Everything that is written here has a purpose, whether that's to develop a character or flesh out the storyline.

A truly excellent read . . . Exciting, well-written swords and sorcery. Try it on for size Source: Mark Lawrence Let it be known that Gwynne is in fact the only author on my list to earn the perfect streak of top quality achievements from me. A Time of Dread marked the fifth time his work has been included in my ‘favorites of all time’ shelves; together with his previous quartet, that’s five out of five books. To do a bit of comparison, neither of my two other favorite authors—Brandon Sanderson and Joe Abercrombie—earned this perfect streak.

Scrabble Tools

Because I know that people will ask: do you have to read the first series (Malice, Valour, Ruin and Wrath,) to understand what's going on in this series? No, you don't. This series takes place 120+ years after the events of the first, so while there is a nostalgia factor involved as characters or places from the first series are name-dropped, Gwynne does a really great job of setting this story apart from his last. New characters are introduced, and a totally new threat carries on that thematic subtext of good versus evil that was always present in the earlier books. A significant part of the book is also the literary equivalent of setting out your soldiers, something I used to do a lot as a little boy, arranging my armies of Airfix troops against each other before beginning the slaughter. This series is connected to the first series as things are mentioned from the previous books and there are some revelations within this story that breaks things wide open later in the book concerning the characters.

• Fruugo ID: 258392218-563234582
  • EAN: 764486781913
  • Sold by: Fruugo

Delivery & Returns

Fruugo

Address: UK
All products: Visit Fruugo Shop