Radiant: Recipes to heal your skin from within (Hannah Sillitoe Books)

£9.9
FREE Shipping

RRP: £99
Price: £9.9
£9.9 FREE Shipping

In stock

We accept the following payment methods

Description

Did you know that God’s light can shine through every facet of your identity? Radiant is an invitation for teen girls and young women to enjoy a candid conversation on identity with bestselling author Priscilla Shirer. You’ll hear reflections on life lessons she’s gathered from her teen years until now. She’ll show you how the light of God’s Word shaped her identity, and she’ll teach you how it can change and shape your life as well.

tl;dr: This bite-sized book talks about topics and struggles that are universal for young women from a solid and loving ChristIan perspective, focusing on identity. I would recommend this to teen girls, but more mature tweens and also young women in their early twenties might enjoy it too.

Loïe Fuller was famous in her day, but her star faded as the decades passed and other more appealing celebrities took her place. Loïe was an American dancer who settled in Paris as a young woman, where her eccentricities were more readily embraced. She became renowned for her innovative choreography, which incorporated lighting and flowing fabrics, both of which she designed. She patented dozens of inventions, all as a self-taught explorer of chemistry and physics, using art to discover scientific principles, and her stage lighting techniques transformed modern theatrical and dance productions. Along the way, she collected admirers of her work- Auguste Rodin, Henri de Toulouse-Lautrec, Auguste and Louis Lumière, Stéphane Mallarmé and Queen Marie of Romania. Of course there is a journey involved, and she is careful document that journey, leading from a place of darkness to a realization that God had a plan for her, and then leaning what she needed to do to fulfill that plan.

Most readers have probably not heard of Loie Fuller, the American performer whose pioneering work in modern dance and theatrical lighting techniques — particularly with her popular "Serpentine Dance," a swirl of silk skirts and rainbow-colored spotlights at Paris's Folies Bergères — centered her in the Art Nouveau and Symbolist movements. At the turn of the century, Paris was a hotbed of creativity. Technology boomed, delivering to the world electric light, the automobile, and new ways to treat disease, while imagination blossomed, creating Art Nouveau, motion pictures, and modernist literature. A pivotal figure during this time, yet largely forgotten today, Loie Fuller was an American performance artist who became a living symbol of the Art Nouveau movement with her hypnotic dances and stunning theatrical effects. Credited today as the pioneer of modern dance, she was perennially broke, never took no for an answer, spent most of her life with a female partner, and never questioned her drive. She was a visionary, a renegade, and a loyal friend.Marie Curie was the first woman to win a Nobel Prize for science, ever. In fact she won two of them plus raised two daughters in Paris while spending hours in her lab. She had the support of Pierre, her husband, but still did all the cooking, etc. Loie Fuller advanced live dance performance with her incredible radium painted costumes, radium which she procured from Marie. She had the support of her longtime female partner. Marie and Loie maintained their friendship for decades. I read the book for a reading group. Some of the members felt the writing was too juvenile. But when I was a young adult struggling to pass my science courses, I would have loved reading about the challenges these two women faced and overcame. Since I still struggle with scientific concepts, I loved the book now!

Uplifting and inspiring for those who have been searching for the answer to seemingly unsolvable skin complaints, Hanna's programme is also suitable for those simply looking to improve their overall health and complexion. It's a recipe for good health and clear skin, from the inside out. I found Radiant to be a fascinating read. While I was familiar in a shallow way with Marie Curie's life story, I had never heard of Loie Fuller. The juxtaposition of the main characters- a scientist and a dancer- and their worlds was striking. While the author calls the book "creative non-fiction", I found the extensive research she did convincing. Beginning with a juice cleanse, Hanna takes you through a range of delicious, skin-loving meals including Turmeric and Ginger Chia Pudding, Immunity Ramen, Beet Burgers and even Clean Tiramisu. She also shows you how to create homemade beauty products, including an Avocado and Honey Facemask and Rosemary and Lemon Salt Scrub, which have gone on to inspire the eponymous skincare range for which she secured funding on BBC 2's Dragons' Den.Both women faced struggles with the male-dominated society that existed in the late 19th and early 20th century. I especially enjoyed learning more about Marie Curie's life as a scientist, wife, mother and celebrity. Even a century ago women found that their personal life could be used against them by sensational journalism. Marie and Loie both met and were friends with many of the famous lights of their time - from Rodin and Isadora Duncan to Albert Einstein and Thomas Edison. Hanna Sillitoe’s recipes are world-renowned and are used across the globe after the original online recipe platform, My Goodness Recipes, became an overnight success. Hanna’s Radiant book followed, showcasing a wealth of tips and advice on delicious, nourishing food and drinks, with the sole aim of providing a powerful and life-changing diet for radiant skin. The radiant health diet is easy to follow and uses goodness of nature’s finest fruit and vegetables. Rich in nutrients and minerals, this radiant diet is often recommended for eczema sufferers as a natural alternative to creams and steroids. We hear stories from readers on a daily basis about how the book has transformed lives and these radiant recovery diet stories are simply heartwarming and inspiring. We are taken into the world of late 1800s-early 1900s Paris. An American performer named Loïe Fuller pursues her dream of marrying visual art and colour with her dance performances. She hears of a new substance called radium, with luminescent properties she desires to bring her visions of costuming to reality on stage. A uniquely eccentric figure even in the crowded field of Belle Époque Paris, "rather than depending on choreography or exposed flesh," the 5-foot-2 Fuller "incorporated technology into her art to make it new and modern." Ceaselessly pursuing her beautiful stage illusions through luminescence, Fuller also sought patents for her inventions, for "it was Loie's mind, rather than her face or body, that made her shine brighter than the other dancers in Paris." Most readers have probably heard of Marie Curie, the Polish and naturalized-French scientist whose groundbreaking research on radioactivity and the isolation of radioactive isotopes led to her becoming not only the first woman to win the Nobel Prize, but also the first person and the only woman to win it twice in two different fields: Physics in 1903 and Chemistry in 1911.

• Fruugo ID: 258392218-563234582
  • EAN: 764486781913
  • Sold by: Fruugo

Delivery & Returns

Fruugo

Address: UK
All products: Visit Fruugo Shop