Slow Days, Fast Company (New York Review Books Classics): The World, the Flesh, and L.A.

£5.995
FREE Shipping

Slow Days, Fast Company (New York Review Books Classics): The World, the Flesh, and L.A.

RRP: £11.99
Price: £5.995
£5.995 FREE Shipping

In stock

We accept the following payment methods

Description

Shapiro, Deborah (March 12, 2009). "Freeways, Taquitos, Stravinsky, and Speed". The Second Pass. Archived from the original on May 23, 2012 . Retrieved May 1, 2012.

Her dishy, evocative style has never been characterized as Joan Didion-deep but it's inarguably more fun and inviting, providing equally sharp insights on the mood and meaning of Southern California. The episodes in Eve’s Hollywood are sometimes only a few paragraphs long, with titles like “Daughters of the Wasteland,” “Ingenues, Thunderbird Girls and the Neighborhood Belle: a Confusing Tragedy,” and “And West (né Weinstein) Is East Too.” Throughout, Babitz is bitingly self-aware, the perfect faux naïf. In Slow Days, the follow-up to Hollywood, she responds to the new varieties of attention her writing got her: What Babitz has done is rekindled my love for Los Angeles. I never hated the place like the cliched New York transplant. There’s as much culture here as anywhere, and the physical beauty is perfectly balanced by the banality of its freeways and strip malls. But the sun is oppressive and has the effect of following you everywhere with its burningly indifferent eye. I never doubted Los Angeles' vibrancy, but it’s a megacity and as such overwhelming and just as provincial as New York City.Undeniably the work of a native, in love with her place. This quality of the intrinsic and the indigenous is precisely what has been missing from almost all the fiction about Hollywood...the accuracy and feeling with which she delineates LA is a fresh quality in California writing. In 1997, Babitz was severely injured while in her car when she accidentally dropped a lit match onto a gauze skirt, which ignited and melted her pantyhose beneath it. [17] While her lower legs were protected by the sheepskin Ugg boots she was wearing, the accident caused life-threatening third-degree burns to over half of her body. [4] :357–358 Because she had no health insurance, friends and family organized a fund-raising auction to pay her medical bills. Friends and former lovers donated cash and artworks to help pay for her long recovery. Babitz became somewhat more reclusive after this incident, but was still willing to be interviewed on occasion. [6] In a 2000 interview with Ron Hogan of Beatrice magazine, Babitz said, "I've got other books to do that I'm working on." [2] When Hogan asked what those books would be about, Babitz replied: "One's fiction and the other's nonfiction. The nonfiction book is about my experiences in the hospital. The other's a fictionalized version of my parents' lives in Los Angeles, my father's Russian Jewish side and my mother's Cajun French side." [2] These books had not been published as of 2019 [update]. What we now call a ‘fictive memoir’ comes in the form of ten extended anecdotes about Los Angeles, delivered with all the gossipy sprezzatura of the most desirable dinner guest. Food, drink, drugs, sex, sunsets and a surfeit of move stars soak these tales with colour, while the most colourful component of all is our narrator herself.”—Hermione Hoby, TLS to say the least — eve’s writing style is chatty, gossipy and it reads like you’re catching up with your “cool” friend. some of her observations and lines are hilarious, however, i do think that she’s given way more credit for her wittiness than she actually deserves. most of her writing consists of nothing but surface-level descriptions of la and society and passionless prose. In Hollywood’s Eve: Eve Babitz and the Secret History of L.A., biographer Lili Anolik writes, "passing herself off as a groupie allowed Eve to infiltrate, edge into territory from which she'd otherwise have been barred." [15] Reviewing this biography for The Nation, journalist Marie Solis wrote, "Babitz didn’t live a life free from patriarchy, but modern-day readers might surmise that she found a way to outsmart it. Despite her proximity as a Hollywood insider to the powerhouses of male celebrity, she rarely succumbed to their charms; instead, she made everyone play by her own rules." [16]

Babitz, Eve (December 18, 2021). "Eve Babitz: I Was a Naked Pawn For Art". Esquire. Archived from the original on December 19, 2021 . Retrieved December 19, 2021.Eve Babitz (May 13, 1943 – December 17, 2021) was an American visual artist and author best known for her semi-fictionalized memoirs and her relationship to the cultural milieu of Los Angeles.

• Fruugo ID: 258392218-563234582
  • EAN: 764486781913
  • Sold by: Fruugo

Delivery & Returns

Fruugo

Address: UK
All products: Visit Fruugo Shop