Which One Doesn't Belong?: A Shapes Book

Which One Doesn't Belong?: A Shapes Book

RRP: £99
Price: £9.9
£9.9 FREE Shipping

In stock

We accept the following payment methods

Description

A speech bubble out of the yellow shape appears that reads: This one shows a near double… double 2 and 1 more is 5.] Speaker

The question that you ask determines the type of data that you collect and whether or not there is variability in the data collected. In earlier grades, you learned that there is variability in a data set if not all of the values in the data set are the same. These are examples of statistical questions because they are answered by collecting data that has variability:Oh, that's really nice. So, can I make a case now for why each one doesn't belong? Yes, we did that. This bold-color shapes book is, as the author had hoped, “a resource that can make a meaningful contribution to geometry instruction” (p. 16) but can also reside in an elementary school library. It allows for meaningful conversations, unanswered questions, and deep dives into the subtle and complex similarities and differences between shapes. A speech bubble out of the yellow shape appears that reads: Oh… this one is a near double too… double 5 is 10, then 1 more is 11.]

I was inspired by the work of Christopher Danielson, so I started creating my own WODB activities geared towards students in elementary and middle school. Below is more text: Then, ask your family, friends or your classmates about the next diagram…see if you can work together to come up with a reason for each collection.]How many students are on the roster for this class?” would produce numerical data that does not vary. There is only one value in the data set, so there is no variability. In the top right corner: a purple triangle and a green triangle create a square, is next to a purple triangle. Below the purple triangle is a green triangle. Which One Doesn't Belong? and other resources and I've always found the routine to be a good one for math learning and supporting conversations around math. Which One Doesn’t Belong? has won the Mathical Book Prize, which will be presented to Christopher Danielson at the National Math Festival in Washington, DC on April 22, 2017. The Mathical Book Prize is an annual award for fiction and nonfiction books that inspire children of all ages to see math in the world around them. NSW Department of Education's information on curriculum taught in NSW schools, Aboriginal education and communities & personalised support.

OK, so what about 11 then? Well, we worked out that it's odd, but so is three and five. They're both odd. What's a reason... Aha! I hear you.

For each of the 4 questions, write a survey question that will help you collect data from the class that can be analyzed to answer the question.

So what about this one? What's one reason why this one doesn't belong? OK. Yes, it's... Oh, I almost said it's the only domino with three on it, but it's not actually. What's the reason why this domino doesn't belong? Ah, yes, I had noticed the same thing that some of you noticed… Categorical data are expressed using characteristics. For example, to answer the question “What brand of phones do people use?” you would survey several people and their answers result in categorical data.Makes sense, doesn’t it? But, is it mathematically correct? I don’t know. My students gave me some pretty good arguments justifying their reasoning! We decided we needed to do some research on the word scalene. Does it only apply to triangles? But I knew what the student meant, and so did the rest of the class. When I asked him to explain, he said a scalene triangle is a triangle with all three sides having different lengths. A scalene quadrilateral, therefore, is a quadrilateral with all four sides having different lengths. I plan to continue exploring this book and use it again next year, but with a few changes. I think it would be very beneficial to do this activity first, as a pre-assessment to our geometry unit. What do they already know? What misconceptions do they have?

• Fruugo ID: 258392218-563234582
  • EAN: 764486781913
  • Sold by: Fruugo

Delivery & Returns

Fruugo

Address: UK
All products: Visit Fruugo Shop