The Wood Age: How one material shaped the whole of human history

The Wood Age: How one material shaped the whole of human history

RRP: £20.00
Price: £10
£10 FREE Shipping

In stock

We accept the following payment methods

Description

John Wooden and Don Yaeger (2009) A Game Plan for Life: The Power of Mentoring, Bloomsbury USA. ISBN 978-1-59691-701-9

Wooden hangs 'em up". Eugene Register-Guard. Associated Press. March 30, 1975 . Retrieved July 23, 2010. [ permanent dead link] This section needs additional citations for verification. Please help improve this article by adding citations to reliable sourcesin this section. Unsourced material may be challenged and removed.John Wooden and Steve Jamison (2009) Coach Wooden's Leadership Game Plan for Success: 12 Lessons for Extraordinary Performance and Personal Excellence, McGraw-Hill Professional. ISBN 978-0-07-162614-9 Although steel has been known to civilisations globally for up to 4,000 years, it wasn’t until the arrival of the Bessemer process in the mid-19th century that it could be mass-produced in industrial quantities. Hubbe, M. A. (2012). "The Wood Age - Part of our past, but should we wish for it as our future?" BioRes. 7(4), 4499-4500.

ESPN, ed. (2009). ESPN College Basketball Encyclopedia: The Complete History of the Men's Game. New York, NY: ESPN Books. p.542. ISBN 978-0-345-51392-2. Three of Wooden's former players would take over the program and leave within a few years. Gene Bartow, Gary Cunningham, Larry Brown, and Larry Farmer were the four coaches who entered and left UCLA in the nine years following Wooden. One former UCLA head coach, former ESPN analyst and former St. John's head coach Steve Lavin (fired from UCLA in 2003), has said "The mythology and pathology of UCLA basketball isn't going to change" due to Wooden's legacy and believes that every basketball coach will eventually be fired or forced out from UCLA. [78] As the dominant species on Earth, humans have made astonishing progress since our ancestors came down from the trees. But how did the descendants of small primates manage to walk upright, become top predators, and populate the world? How were humans able to develop civilizations and produce a globalized economy? Now, in The Age of Wood , Roland Ennos shows for the first time that the key to our success has been our relationship with wood. Wilfred M. Krenek (Fall 1998). "President's Message: It's a "New" Fall" (PDF). Alpha Phi Omega. Archived from the original (PDF) on September 28, 2007 . Retrieved January 30, 2010.Thanks to Andreas from Reißwolf for highlighting it was first published in the US market in 2020 by Scribner as The Age of Wood. Hence the book’s use of degrees Fahrenheit and other imperial metrics throughout.

I will probably re-read this when my eyes return to normal-dry versus Saharra-Desert-dry. And if I do, I'm sure I'll have lots of fun facts to share with you to entice you to read the book. I will leave you with one that I retained from my listening: The book presents the role that wood played in global history. Often times, the ideas presented were based upon his (or his doctoral students) studies on the subject of wood. At the other end, the penultimate chapter takes aim at what Ennos calls deforestation myths. A superficial reading suggests he is contradicting himself as he next outlines how much impact we have had. However, what he takes issue with is the narrative told by the likes of Jared Diamond that deforestation led to environmental catastrophe and eventual civilizational collapse. The idea that felling trees results in catastrophic soil erosion is based on modern industrial forestry practices, he claims, “ our impressions exaggerate the historical extent of the problem” (p. 246). Ennos in no way suggests that deforestation itself is somehow a myth: “ environmental historians are starting to realize that even before industrial times our impact was enormous” (p. 258). “Virgin” rainforest has long been under cultivation and there is a clearly documented decrease in both forest cover and species diversity with time, with practices such as plantation forestry and species translocations adding further insult to injury by introducing plant pests and diseases. Indeed, writes Ennos, the only times when forest cover rebounded in Europe and the Americas was after major events such as the fall of the Roman Empire or pandemics.A new book by Radkau, Wood. A History, provides telling insight into the cleverness and also into the short-sightedness of humans in their almost uninterrupted dependence on forest resources. This essay touches upon the earliest evidence of prehistoric wood-based technologies – showing examples where humans have tended, in many generations, to exhaust their readily available resources. Beginning in the Industrial Revolution a greatly expanded usage of first coal and the petroleum have tended to take some of the pressure off of the use of wood as a fuel source. But there are early signs that the situation may be changing soon. Large wood-to-liquid-fuel facilities are being talked about. Though the usage of wood for fuel has the potential to be a sustainable enterprise, human history suggests we should exercise caution. The 'People's Choice' Has the Gift of Gag". Los Angeles Times. April 11, 2004 . Retrieved July 16, 2012. Board of Education of the City of Los Angeles (January 11, 2005). "Regular Meeting Minutes: January 11, 2005". Los Angeles Unified School District . Retrieved January 30, 2010. a b c d e f g h i Mike Puma (2007). "Sportscentury Biography: Wizard of Westwood". ESPN . Retrieved January 25, 2010.

The Bruins were led by senior All-American guard Gail Goodrich and used an effective zone press. Goodrich scored 42 points in the final against Michigan and Cazzie Russell. [49]By using this service, you agree that you will only keep content for personal use, and will not openly distribute them via Dropbox, Google Drive or other file sharing services

• Fruugo ID: 258392218-563234582
  • EAN: 764486781913
  • Sold by: Fruugo

Delivery & Returns

Fruugo

Address: UK
All products: Visit Fruugo Shop