The Book of Phobias and Manias: A History of the World in 99 Obsessions

The Book of Phobias and Manias: A History of the World in 99 Obsessions

RRP: £99
Price: £9.9
£9.9 FREE Shipping

In stock

We accept the following payment methods

Description

Bonus phobia: arithmomania-the desire to count or preoccupation with math "but this one goes to 11" Ophidiophobia - Fear of snakes. Recently found out one of my cousins has this. Pretty understandable as far as phobias go. Esta completa obra consta de 312 páginas donde la autora recoge a modo de “diccionario” diferentes fobias y manías( un total de 99 aproximadamente)poniéndole así nombre a todo lo q nos asusta y obsesiona.

Fykiaphobia - Fear of seaweed. I love seaweed, I eat it, I drink it, I slather it on my skin. Seaweed's great. Delightful period piece . . . always prescient about the social status of the women she studies, Summerscale notes that Alma was the very model of a colorless, faceless, powerless housewife. But a housewife with psychic powers could escape those social constraints.” —Marilyn Stasio, The New York Times Book Review Here's my very professional assessment of the phobias and manias I, my friends, and/or family might have - and the ones I definitely don't have. Inspired by another reviewer:The repetition lies in the fact that most manias and phobias overlap, and often their mechanics and origins are very similar. Likewise, treatment is more often than not the same; e.g., exposure therapy to treat fears. Sometimes, you could see Summerscale struggling to add some originality to the entries - which, I'll admit, she thankfully did very well most of the time (every entry with a funny and/or extremely disturbing historical story about weird Victorians made my mornings a little bit better). It also helped that the book is gorgeous-looking, and contains lots of quirky illustrations (that might trigger some people that actually suffer from these fears and manias. Free therapy!). Anschließend werden die einzelnen Obsessionen anhand von Fallbeispielen erläutert. Der Schreibstiel hat mir dabei sehr gut gefallen. Kayak phobia - Hard to say for sure, though. I don't think I've encountered that many kayaks during my life. Das Buch bietet ein detailliertes Inhaltsverzeichnis von A bis Z, das sowohl die lateinischen Begriffe als auch die deutschen Bezeichnungen für die jeweiligen Phobien und Manien auflistet. So findet man sich leicht in den verschiedenen Kapiteln zurecht.

Tulipomania - Since I'm Dutch, it's probably lingering somewhere in my genes, ready to be triggered. Aibophobia - Fear of palindromes. Yes, it might seem jokey to you, but now it's spoken into existence, and it might become a real problem, just you wait and see.Emetophobia - Fear of vomiting. Had a classmate who suffered from this, and they weren't able to go on school trips because of it.

Erythrophobia - Fear of blushing. Teenage and early 20s me suffered this; sometimes I started blushing before talking to someone because I was afraid I would anyway. It doesn't help that I have that Northern European rosacea-prone skin. Informative, witty, and unique . . . Summerscale, author of The Suspicions of Mr. Whicher and other well-regarded books, lists 99 fears and compulsions, and the result is a peculiarly engaging book.” — Kirkus This handy sized book covers them all, it was enlightening and very eye opening. What I especially loved was the wealth of research that was clearly done to create this encyclopaedic compendium - each phobia or mania gives examples in history of each affliction, which was utterly fascinating to read about. Brontophobia - Fear of thunderstorms. This was a kid fear of mine. I thought it was meteorites falling down and we'd all die, like the dinosaurs. A phobia is a persistent, overwhelming and debilitating fear, often with irrational cause. For the purposes of diagnosis, that fear must interfere with normal functioning. In her introduction, Summerscale discusses how some fears are considered to have a evolutionary purpose, a reflex to protect us from external threats, like snakes (Ophidiophobia) for example. Others may be a result of personal experience, for example someone may develop a fear of dogs (cynophobia) after being bitten by one; or cultural conditioning, like the fear of being without a mobile phone (nomophobia). Some fears, like most mania’s, may be related to chemical imbalances in the brain. A mania is often an overwhelming compulsion to do something, like stealing (kleptomania) or oniomania (shopping). A mania may also stem from a delusion, such as the false belief that one is desired (erotomania), and can affect clusters of people.

Need Help?

Aboulomania - Extreme indecisiveness, not sure if what you're doing is right, 'paralysing' the brain in the process. To be honest, I'm not really sure if I have this. It seems very extreme, I might no-

• Fruugo ID: 258392218-563234582
  • EAN: 764486781913
  • Sold by: Fruugo

Delivery & Returns

Fruugo

Address: UK
All products: Visit Fruugo Shop