Sexus (Penguin Modern Classics)

Sexus (Penguin Modern Classics)

RRP: £9.99
Price: £4.995
£4.995 FREE Shipping

In stock

We accept the following payment methods

Description

Henry Miller has just been laughed at for rhapsodizing about Walt Whitman. He’s sore. A woman enters the apartment. Henry drags her into the bathroom. He fastens his “lips to her red mouth.” If at eighty you're not a cripple or an invalid, if you have your health, if you still enjoy a good walk, a good meal (with all the trimmings), if you can sleep without first taking a pill, if birds and flowers, mountains and sea still inspire you, you are a most fortunate individual and you should get down on your knees morning and night and thank the good Lord for his savin' and keepin' power. [57] During this period, there was no possibility I would receive pleasure from the interaction—aside from very short-lived excitement. Boys would push my head to their waists and ejaculate within seconds or thrust inside me nine or ten times, groan, and collapse. Always, ejaculation would occur just as I was becoming most open and aroused, feeling another person’s entire self caught up entirely in me. And then he was gone, looking away with an expression of bewildered defeat. I was alone with a monstrous need set loose in my chest, striking my rib cage with each inhale, keeping me from sleep. I felt as desperate as the woman Henry “disgraces” in the bathroom, who later clings to him and begs him not to leave. a b c Mary V. Dearborn, The Happiest Man Alive: A Biography of Henry Miller, New York: Simon & Schuster, 1991, p. 246. Henry Miller, Preface to Big Sur and the Oranges of Hieronymus Bosch, New York: New Directions, 1957, p. ix.

Thiebaud, Twinka. Reflections: Henry Miller. Santa Barbara, CA: Capra Press, 1981. ISBN 0-88496-166-4 a b Arthur Hoyle, "Remember Henry Miller? Censored Then, Forgotten Now," Huffington Post, May 14, 2014.

In addition to his literary abilities, Miller produced numerous watercolor paintings and wrote books on this field. He was a close friend of the French painter Grégoire Michonze. It is estimated that Miller painted 2,000 watercolors during his life, and that 50 or more major collections of Miller's paintings exist. [66] The Harry Ransom Center at the University of Texas at Austin holds a selection of Miller's watercolors, [67] as did the Henry Miller Museum of Art in Ōmachi City in Nagano, Japan, before closing in 2001. [68] Miller's daughter Valentine placed some of her father's art for sale in 2005. [69] He was also an amateur pianist. [70] Literary archives [ edit ] Kraft, Barbara. Henry Miller: The Last Days, San Antonio, TX: Sky Blue Press, 2016. ISBN 978-0988917088 Access-restricted-item true Addeddate 2012-08-20 19:06:46 Bookplateleaf 0004 Boxid IA1103316 Boxid_2 CH119301 Camera Canon EOS 5D Mark II City New York Donor Henry Miller: Prophet der Lüste ( Henry Miller: Prophet of Desire), a biographical documentary TV movie in 2017 by a German director Gero von Boehm, which also features Erica Jong, Brassaï, and Anaïs Nin.

Miller had in mind to write a second volume of Nexus, and made several attempts to complete it. It would have covered his time in France with Mona, their return to New York, and his return to Paris on his own, concluding with him writing the opening lines of Tropic of Cancer at 18 Villa Seurat. He made several attempts to write the book before ultimately abandoning the undertaking. [8] [9] A rough draft of the abandoned novel, Paris 1928 (Nexus II), an account of his 1928 trip to Paris with Mona, was first published in English in 2012. [10] Publication [ edit ] Arthur Hoyle, The Unknown Henry Miller: A Seeker in Big Sur, New York: Arcade Publishing, 2014, pp. 246, 253. In 1948, Miller wrote a novella which he called his "most singular story," a work of fiction entitled "The Smile at the Foot of the Ladder". Henry Miller sought to reestablish the freedom to live without the conventional restraints of civilization. His books are potpourris of sexual description, quasi-philosophical speculation, reflection on literature and society, surrealistic imaginings, and autobiographical incident.Their hands grip the carpet hairs. Look at the initial swell of a bicep, that bump after the dip of the inner elbow. The three books in the trilogy were initially banned in the United States, published only in France and Japan. [5] [11] Their American publication followed the U.S. Supreme Court's 1964 decision that the also-banned Tropic of Cancer was a work of literature and therefore should not be banned. [12] Stuhlmann, Gunther, editor. A Literate Passion: Letters of Anaïs Nin and Henry Miller, 1932–1953, San Diego: Harcourt Brace Jovanovich, 1987. ISBN 0-15-152729-6 a b c d Anderson, Christiann (March 2004). "Henry Miller: Born to be Wild". BonjourParis . Retrieved September 30, 2011.

In 1931, Miller was employed by the Chicago Tribune Paris edition as a proofreader, thanks to his friend Alfred Perlès, who worked there. Miller took this opportunity to submit some of his own articles under Perlès' name, since at that time only the editorial staff were permitted to publish in the paper. This period in Paris was highly creative for Miller, and during this time he also established a significant and influential network of authors circulating around the Villa Seurat. [30] At that time a young British author, Lawrence Durrell, became a lifelong friend. Miller's correspondence with Durrell was later published in two books. [31] [32] During his Paris period he was also influenced by the French Surrealists. Miller and Tokuda divorced in 1977. [51] Then in his late 80s, Miller filmed with Warren Beatty for the 1981 film Reds, which was also directed by Beatty. He spoke of his remembrances of John Reed and Louise Bryant as part of a series of "witnesses". The film was released eighteen months after Miller's death. [58] During the last four years of his life, Miller held an ongoing correspondence of over 1,500 letters with Brenda Venus, a young Playboy model and columnist, actress and dancer. A book about their correspondence was published by William Morrow, NY, in 1986. [59] Death [ edit ] In other works written during his time in California, Miller was widely critical of consumerism in America, as reflected in Sunday After the War (1944) and The Air-Conditioned Nightmare (1945). His Big Sur and the Oranges of Hieronymus Bosch, published in 1957, is a collection of stories about his life and friends in Big Sur. [46] Miller (1959)

Preview Book

Everyone who read February’s issue of Cosmo got a great reminder of all the hot, hot sex in the movies. But what about sexy scenes in literature? All of these excerpts are from books that are considered literary, and they’re all so steamy they’ll make you want to undo a button or two. I have to also point out to any potential buyer - and this is the main reason I wrote this review - that this particular edition of The Rosy Crucifixion is a terrible pressing. Typographical errors are rife throughout, and the text is very carelessly put together. The book itself is over-sized, and thus not comfortable to carry around. It is not bus or plane material, unless you work out your forearms beforehand. UbuWeb Sound: Henry Miller (1891–1980), with links to MP3 files of "An Interview with Henry Miller" (1964), "Life As I See It" (1956/1961), and "Henry Miller Recalls and Reflects" (1957)

• Fruugo ID: 258392218-563234582
  • EAN: 764486781913
  • Sold by: Fruugo

Delivery & Returns

Fruugo

Address: UK
All products: Visit Fruugo Shop