But What Can I Do?: Why Politics Has Gone So Wrong, and How You Can Help Fix It

But What Can I Do?: Why Politics Has Gone So Wrong, and How You Can Help Fix It

RRP: £99
Price: £9.9
£9.9 FREE Shipping

In stock

We accept the following payment methods

Description

What did Jane do when she was processed and put in a jail cell? Well, this 82 year old woman who once led the aerobics mania of the 80s with her leggings-and-Reebok-clad videos, stated "I spent the time doing wall squats." Ha ha! Go, Jane! That question is the inspiration behind this book. It's a question regularly posed to Alastair Campbell, not least in reaction to The Rest is Politics , the chart-topping podcast he presents with Rory Stewart. His answer, typically, is forthright and impassioned. We cannot afford to stand on the sidelines. If we think things need to change, then we need to change them, and that means getting involved. There are so many great ideas of what to do with unwanted books! So, whether you recycle them, donate them or exchange them, there are a lot of different ways to get rid of your unwanted books – without feeling guilty.

In the fall of 2019, frustrated with the obvious inaction of politicians and inspired by Greta Thunberg, Naomi Klein, and student climate strikers, Jane Fonda moved to Washington, DC to lead weekly climate change demonstrations on Capitol Hill. On October 11, she launched Fire Drill Fridays (FDF), and has since led thousands of people in non-violent civil disobedience, risking arrest to protest for action. In her new book, Fonda weaves her deeply personal journey as an activist alongside conversations with leading climate scientists, and discussions of specific issues, such as water, migration, and human rights, to emphasize what is at stake. Most significantly, Fonda provides concrete solutions, and things the average person can do to combat the climate crisis in their community. The climate crisis has everything to do with the military. Every single war fought in the past eighty years, if not longer, has been about oil." But the white colonists did it wrong. They did it wrong because embedded in the development of their institutions of power, their institutions of governance, and economies was the exploitation of things that weren’t considered valuable: people, women, plants that weren’t valuable to the wealth, and to the power, and to the vision that those original white male landholders saw for themselves” For Campbell, Brexit is the reason for the state we’re in. It was the Leave campaign, he argues, that fundamentally changed the way politics operated, openly encouraging MPs to become wilfully duplicitous, “to seek to divide, create chaos, dominate the airwaves with insults”.

Ideas for what to do with unwanted books

The book also goes into other issues like refugees, deforestation, oceans, women, policies, and many more. I learned so much, even though it’s mainly focused on The United States, (rightly so)💪🏽Loved all the indigenous voices too. Cheers to women. 🥂 ( Yes, Wangari Maathai) . His exploration of leadership is refreshing, as is his urge to authenticity (don't become a banker, work for a charity on a much lower wage ...). Even his new word 'persevilience' was a valuable addition to his arguments. A fun idea of what to do with unwanted books is to host a book exchange. This is one of my favorite ways to recycle books. We did this a women’s retreat that I attended. Everyone who wanted to brought books to share. Then, for every book you brought you could get a new book if you wanted. Reader to Reader, Inc. is a nonprofit organization dedicated to expanding literacy and learning opportunities for the nation’s most chronically underserved and vulnerable communities, including inner-city schools, Native American reservations, and poor rural towns. Find a donation program near you. If you have friends and family who love reading, why not ask them if there’s anything they’re interested in reading before you donate? After they’re done with your books, they can then donate using the list above.

Lastly, this book focuses primarily on The Green New Deal. Given the time that these drills happened, we were in the middle of the democratic primaries. Now with Biden as president-elect, I wish that this book touched on different proposed climate change policies, and how they differ. This could’ve been very valuable to learn how we can incorporate different proposals and compromise. This is just an observation. Although I do appreciate everything this book has to say, I cannot deny how ~boring~ it got after a couple of chapters. Why you might ask? Well.... If you have cloth books and board books that you are ready to pass along, I’m sure one of the local preschools would love to have them. Just make sure the books are clean and in decent condition! Ideas for what to do with unwanted books Personally, I am not a fan of doing yard sales. But, I know a lot of people who really enjoy them. So, if you are one of the folks that really enjoy hosting a yard sale then, by all means, have at it! Campbell, 65, is well-placed to opine on the subject. A former communications director for Tony Blair, he seemed less Machiavellian than, say, Dominic Cummings, and instead determined – often belligerently – to do the right thing by his country, even if half the country was convinced he was wrong. But then, such is politics. Despite quitting in 2003, he’s never really left the field because he can’t. People, he suggests, are always coming up to him, either to blame him for New Labour’s failings, or else to ask what “we” can do to improve things. His book is, in part, an answer.

BWB collects and sells books online to donate books and fund literacy initiatives worldwide. You can find more about their donation process here.

This is a book for supporters of democracy,” he states, and in many ways it is everything a manifesto should be: heartfelt, hectoring, impassioned, rousing. In chapters entitled Resist Cynicism and Develop a Campaigning Mindset, he cajoles and pleads younger people from every sector of society to overcome their disillusion, and to adopt the Obama mindset of Yes We Can. Our politics is a mess. Leaders who can't or shouldn't be allowed to lead. Governments that lie, and seek to undermine our democratic values. Policies that serve the interests of the privileged few. It's no surprise that so many of us feel frustrated, let down and drawn to ask, ' But what can I do?' Books Through Bars works to provide quality reading material to prisoners in Pennsylvania and surrounding states.If you're coming to Coles by car, why not take advantage of the 2 hours free parking at Sainsbury's Pioneer Square - just follow the signs for Pioneer Square as you drive into Bicester and park in the multi-storey car park above the supermarket. Come down the travelators, exit Sainsbury's, turn right and follow the pedestrianised walkway to Crown Walk and turn right - and Coles will be right in front of you. You don't need to shop in Sainsbury's to get the free parking! Where to Find Us

• Fruugo ID: 258392218-563234582
  • EAN: 764486781913
  • Sold by: Fruugo

Delivery & Returns

Fruugo

Address: UK
All products: Visit Fruugo Shop