The Rovers Return: The Official Coronation Street Companion

The Rovers Return: The Official Coronation Street Companion

RRP: £99
Price: £9.9
£9.9 FREE Shipping

In stock

We accept the following payment methods

Description

The brothers depicted, lone vamps called Jesse and Edgar, were my favorites/ Edgar is mentally handicapped, never chose to be a vamp, and has a really hard time with the "nomad in the dark" lifestyle they live by necessity. When Jesse meets a woman he falls in...not love, but nostalgia with, my sympathy for him grew and grew. Life that feels unbearable can be lived because it won't always be this way. For vamps, it will. Always. For hundreds of years. There's little worse to the speculative fiction reader than a literary fiction writer who takes on the genre in an attempt to somehow "elevate" it. Conversely, magic happens when a literary fiction writer slides seamlessly into the genre not to prove something, but because that's where the story lies. The second perspective is that of Charles, a man consumed with grief over his son’s murder—his throat was slashed and his body was drained of blood. The authorities were never able to find the perpetrator, so Charles left home and hit the road, determined to find the murderer on his own and bring justice to his son. One day Charles is approached by a man who claims that his wife was killed in the exact same way, and he offers Charles a chance for revenge. Charles’ chapters are a long letter he’s writing home to his wife about his adventures on the road (a nod to Dracula, perhaps?) So now all eyes are on who will be the next owner's of Weatherfield's finest establishment - and adding their name to a list of memorable landlord's and ladies. Read More Related Articles The characters are all very three dimensional, and with few exceptions, solicit pity from the reader. Funny enough, the one human point of view we get got the least sympathy from me, since he has spent his life (after the murder of his son) on the road searching for his killers. This guy abandons his grieving wife, has no money or prospects and no hope of anything other than the vilest of revenge. I can't get behind that.

This was my first Richard Lange read, but it most certainly won’t be my last. From the cover to the words to the ending! It all added up to one badass read. I was super surprised when almost immediately I fell in love with this book. Maybe my favourite "vampire " novel since buehlman's the lesser dead.Lange has a neat and visually descriptive writing style, which for me made this feel quite cinematic. Rovers reads like a Tarantino film looks and unfolds. Stylishly gritty, populated by archetype characters simultaneously larger than life and accurately reflective of reality, punctuated and ultimately defined by outrageous yet deftly framed violence. The tale is told in alternating chapters between the two brothers, Jesse and Edgar, with other chapters devoted to the bikers and one who hunts them because they took his son. I love how Lange describes this book as Of Mice and Men with vampires. BOOM! I think that says it all. He gives us four points of view that slowly weave together to form one big, bad, bloody showdown in 1970s Vegas. I mean come on…what better place for the big bad to go down than Vegas, baby. ROVERS is a bleak, gritty, violent, and mostly tender portrayal of life as an outsider that happens to be about vampires. The writing is equal to the story. Inspiring and devastating.

The vampire trope has hardly been 'overdone,' any more than Victorian romance or stories about armchair detectives and serial killers. This one is unique, IMO. In 2018, ITV unveiled its biggest PP on British TV with a Costa Coffee and Co-op storefronts as part of the new extended Weatherfield set. There’s plenty of violence, and fear and sorrow, with betrayals and death coming fast and suddenly. While us watching at home can't get in on the pub action, fans of the soap have been wondering who may be the next face behind the bar. Read More Related Articles The use of four different perspectives on the events that we see unfold add additional and distinct textural layers to this simple complex story. We learn what each character most desires, and see how that brings them to their ultimate place at the end, but are left to contemplate whether each truly got what they wanted.The Rovers’ Annexe’ is unveiled on the set of Coronation Street, as it lists on Airbnb, giving fans a once-in-a-lifetime experience to stay in the self-contained pop-up house on the cobbles. Pic: Fabio De Paola/PA Wire What made my heart happy was the writing. I loved the relentless pace and bite of the words. Some of my favorite passages were the ones that played with light. Like “leaf shadows flitting across a patch of warm grass”. Or this beauty… This title appeared on my radar after I saw a tweet by Stephen King(yes that one lol) praising it. Now although I consider myself a super stan of Sai King, when it comes to his book recommendations I find his taste only matches mine maybe 66%. A patch of sunlight lay on the empty bed like a brilliant quilt. Another spilled off the table onto the floor. The bright spots only made the rest of the room darker. I had to squint to penetrate the gloom.”

• Fruugo ID: 258392218-563234582
  • EAN: 764486781913
  • Sold by: Fruugo

Delivery & Returns

Fruugo

Address: UK
All products: Visit Fruugo Shop