I Wanna Be Yours: John Cooper Clarke

I Wanna Be Yours: John Cooper Clarke

RRP: £20.00
Price: £10
£10 FREE Shipping

In stock

We accept the following payment methods

Description

All in all a very enjoyable and entertaining insight into the life and time of the phenomenon that is Dr John Cooper Clarke - just one that could have been significantly better by virtue of being more succinct. Michigan. Supreme Court , Randolph Manning , George C. Gibbs , Thomas McIntyre Cooley , William Jennison , Elijah W. Meddaugh , Hovey K. Clarke , Hoyt Post , Henry Allen Chaney , James M. Reasoner , Richard W. Cooper , William Dudley Fuller , John Adams Brooks , Marquis B. Eaton , Herschel Bouton Lazell In January 2018 Clarke appeared as a contestant on an academic version of BBC One's Pointless Celebrities partnered with historian Suzannah Lipscomb; they reached the head-to-head round. [28] He has also been a panellist on 8 Out of 10 Cats Does Countdown. I started out with a book by British poet John Cooper Clarke. I've seen Clarke several times as the Dictionary Corner guest on 8 Out of 10 Cats Does Countdown, and I always really enjoy him. It took me a while to get one of his books, though, since it seems that his focus is mostly in spoken word performance rather than published work. This turns out to make a lot of sense because his poetry absolutely BEGS to be read aloud. There is something about his word choices and the way he strings them together that I find extremely enticing. I also enjoyed “I’ve Fallen in Love with My Wife,” written in 11 stanzas, most ending with the title. It begins,

John Cooper Clarke (born 25 January 1949) is an English performance poet who first became famous as a " punk poet" in the late 1970s. [1] In the late 1970s and early 1980s, he released several albums. Around this time, he performed on stage with several punk and post-punk bands and continues to perform regularly.

Listen to over 2,000 programmes

I Wanna Be Yours is written in the clear, down-to-earth, witty, gritty style that make his poems sing - those familiar with his delivery, from furious pace to long-drawn out Mancunian vowels and devilish wordplay, will read with his distinctive voice in their head (I look forward to returning and listening to the audiobook read by Dr Clarke). That early section is a fascinating look at popular culture of the 40s, 50s and 60s in some ways. But in other ways, it feels like a different book from what follows... A portrait of the artist as a young, and then middle aged, drug addict (the sections of the book I found most interesting). Published: 20 Mar 2023 ‘A billion listens? Is that a lot?’ John Cooper Clarke on penning possibly the world’s favourite poem

a b Bell, Nigel (August 2002). "The Very Best of John Cooper Clarke". BBC . Retrieved 23 February 2008. I was eagerly anticipating this and got it within a few hours of release; went for the audiobook version because JCC has one of the most characterful and listenable voices in showbusiness. Felt wrong listening to it at my usual 1.5 speed so I set it at normal pace and 15 hours in John's company later I'm going to start again at the beginning. I Wanna Be Yours’ (2020) Is the autobiography of erstwhile ‘punk poet’ - now ‘people’s poet’ Dr John Cooper Clarke - the book title itself taken from one of Clarke’s most popular poems of the same name. Great guy John Cooper Clarke, I remember him on TV in the 1970s looking very, very cool reading 'Kung fu International' and 'Beasley Street'. Kind of a frightening figure to a pre-pubescent lad but also exciting in a way I couldn't understand then. The book is funny in places and I suppose written with a dry sense of humour, I would like to have learnt more about the last twenty years since he stopped taking hard drugs. He says it has been more of the same, but to me so had those twenty years of hard drug use.

Podcast

If you're in recovery or thinking about it, definitely don't read this as it is a quite upbeat retelling of tales of scoring and how good various episodes of that were. I certainly know more now about what it entails than I did before. And whilst he is clean, it does feel like there's a degree of yearning there, but I'm guessing that's the way it is for most recovering addicts perhaps. I'm not usually one for autobiographies and thinking about it now, I think maybe the only proper autobiographical writing I've read is Simone de Beauvoir's Memoirs of a Dutiful Daughter. Now I can add John Cooper Clarke's I Wanna Be Yours to make a list of two.

Not all the poems are as good as this, of course. There are one or two that read as mildly homophobic or transphobic (nothing outright, really, but I noticed regardless) and some that I maybe don't get because they're more specific to Britain. However, for the most part, I enjoyed this little book quite a lot. His sense of humor is biting and slightly dark, which suits me right down to the ground, and his way of playing with language is just...fun. A slim volume of poetry from an elder stateman of alternative culture - how can JCC be 73? Full of staccato verse, vim, malleability of language and with barbed humour in abundance.John Cooper Clarke – Post-War Glamour Girl / Kung Fu International – CBS – UK – S CBS 6541". 45cat . Retrieved 23 May 2014.

I wanted to like this book, I'm a fan of John Cooper Clarke's work and have seen him on stage a couple times and loved his shows. This book was not for me there were too many references to other muicians, which for some people would be of interest, but not me. However, this has not sold me on autobiographies as I thought it would. Don't get me wrong, I love JCC and you could feel his dry humour throughout. There were some great sections of writing but on the whole, it felt like a bit of a slog to get through. I think this is because he details a lot of social history, particularly in Manchester in the 60s and the lists of significant people who some of us will never have heard of get tedious. I appreciate that Clarke probably feels that these details are a big part of his most formative years but I felt it could have been cut down. Last year Clarke responded to an Observer reader who asked him whether he had believed he could ever stop using the drug. Clarke, John Cooper (2020). I wanna be yours. London. ISBN 978-1-5098-9610-3. OCLC 1148197088. {{ cite book}}: CS1 maint: location missing publisher ( link) A book of two halves by Britain's "bargain basement Baudelaire" as poet John Cooper Clarke writes an autobiography of sorts. The first half of the book is an exercise in nostalgia as Clarke details growing up in the 1950's, 60's and early 1970's and the social and cultural developments in Britain during those decades with a welter of information about his favourite films, books, comics, songs, bands and much more.Perry, George,Clarke, John, d. ca. 1815, engraver,Chambers, Robert W. (Robert William) former owner. DSI,Cooper Union Library, former owner. DSI (1811) One of the greatest and coolest things I've always been able to tell people is that, not only do I live in the town where Twinkle Twinkle Little Star and Humpty Dumpty were written, but that the captivating individual that is John Cooper Clarke lives here. And when you happen to see him, in these very ordinary settings, it's a bit like magic. He has such a striking and inimitable presence, it's like seeing a Tim Burton character come to life. He's like Edward Scissorhand's older and more sensitive brother.

• Fruugo ID: 258392218-563234582
  • EAN: 764486781913
  • Sold by: Fruugo

Delivery & Returns

Fruugo

Address: UK
All products: Visit Fruugo Shop