Notes of a Dirty Old Man: Charles Bukowski

Notes of a Dirty Old Man: Charles Bukowski

RRP: £99
Price: £9.9
£9.9 FREE Shipping

In stock

We accept the following payment methods

Description

There is plenty of booze and debauchery in this collection. There were a few surprises here too, both good and bad. One good surprise was a short piece about Bukowski meeting Neal Cassady shortly before he died. It is well written, interesting and I think he does a nice summation of Cassady at the end of his life. He says that "Kerouac has written your other chapters". One disappointing surprise was Bukowski's opinion of Burroughs - "Burroughs is a very dull writer". He truly thinks Celine is the bee's knees. I have read some Celine and think he is a pretty good writer but terribly pessimistic and misanthropic - sounds right up Buk's lane huh? Notes of a Dirty Old Man (1969) is a collection of underground newspaper columns written by Charles Bukowski for the Open City newspaper that were collated and published by Essex House in 1969. His short articles were marked by his trademark crude humor, as well as his attempts to present a "truthful" or objective viewpoint of various events in his life and his own subjective responses to those events. The series is currently published by City Lights Publishing Company but can also be found in Portions from a Wine-Stained Notebook, which is a collection of some of Bukowski's rare and obscure works.

OBIE winner Will Patton ( Remember the Titans, The Good Wife, Armageddon) recreates Bukowski in his visceral prime, along with every eye-popping character in his life, each adversary, lover, and stranger in a lost city.I broke programming, (honestly it never worked too well on me), but I forgot to amend my overlooking of Bukowski. I found a copy of this book in the English language section of my local book shop so I thought I’d give it a try. The Man Who Loved Elevators - https://bukowski.net/database/detail.php?w=5699&Title=notes-of-a-dirty-old-man Notes Of A Dirty Old Man is a compilation of columns and short stories that have been collected from Bukowski's early days when he was writing for Open City which was a free, leftist leaning magazine which had a politicalised agenda. Its main aim was to support and influence the non-conformist countercultures which were thriving throughout the 60's underground of America.

It's raw stuff, with little to no care put in for structural cohesion. At one point, Bukowski states that he is aware that his narration is switching between tenses, and tells the reader that, if they care, they can "shove a nipple up their scrotum." This doesn't even make anatomical sense. The author Bukowski used to write the column "Notes of a Dirty Old Man" for the newspaper Open City (which I never heard of obviously)... One day, someone decided to tell him "hey why not compile them and publish them as a book"... I wish I can find that person so that I can ask him/her "WHAT WERE YOU THINKING!”. Notes of a Dirty Old Man (1969) is a collection of underground newspaper columns written by Charles Bukowski for the Open City newspaper that were collated and published by Essex House in 1969. His short articles were marked by his trademark crude humor, as well as his attempts to present a "truthful" or objective viewpoint of various events in his life and his own subjective responses to those events." Source: Wikipedia I Love You, Albert - https://bukowski.net/database/detail.php?w=5688&Title=notes-of-a-dirty-old-man More Notes of a Dirty Old Man: The Uncollected Columns is written by Charles Bukowski, edited by David Stephen Calonne, and published by City Lights. A sequel to his 1969 book, Notes of a Dirty Old Man, it includes columns (including his column of the same name for the Los Angeles Free Press) and essays that had never been collected and published together.

Select a format:

A compilation of Charles Bukowski's underground articles from his column "Notes of a Dirty Old Man" appears here in book form. Bukowski's reasoning for self-describing himself as a 'dirty old man' rings true in this book. This one has a higher rating than Notes... and I have to say that I find that rather alarming too, because it means that people read the last one and then this more extreme one and found this the more rewarding. PDF / EPUB File Name: Notes_of_A_Dirty_Old_Man_-_Charles_Bukowski.pdf, Notes_of_A_Dirty_Old_Man_-_Charles_Bukowski.epub

Bukowski's works involve a number of recurrent themes. Sexual deviance, a favor of Bukowski's, is discussed in terms of anal sex, prostitution, threesomes, rape, homosexuality, and frequent casual sex. Politics are discussed not as a party plea, but as a general distaste for all things political. Religion and God are frequent topics as well, and it is clear Bukowski is a fan of neither. Violence in the form of spousal abuse, parental abuse, and overall fighting is present in nearly each story. Other themes presented include the plight of the writer, freedom, justice, and suicide. The Death Of The Father II - https://bukowski.net/database/detail.php?w=5711&Title=notes-of-a-dirty-old-man This book has reconfirmed for me the fact that Bukowski is best at this form of writing - short stories. His poetry can be very hit and miss at times but his short story prose is more often good than bad and sometimes exceptionally fascinating and quirky.

Of the many columns and blurbs here, there is one about a party and the time Bukowski met Neal Cassady. He took a crazy car ride with Neal driving and John Bryan (who published Cassady’s letter to Kerouac in City Lights (and gave Bukowski the platform in his Open City paper to write the segments contained in Notes of a Dirty Old Man). I've always loved that quote. Or since I first read it anyway. But I didn't know that it came from this book. This article needs additional citations for verification. Please help improve this article by adding citations to reliable sources. Unsourced material may be challenged and removed.

I don’t know if Bukowski is my style in general. Twenty years ago, I’d have loved it all. He was disgusting at times for sure. I don’t like poop references and Bukowski loved himself the scatological angle. The women stuff? A true misogynist? No, I didn’t get that feeling. He mentioned being “soft” as an insult to himself and others. Like he was always aware of what he should’ve been and how he wasn’t measuring up to those expectations. Drunk as a skunk, wishing for accidental suicide, how could such a guy be a great partner? All of his characters are equally grotesque. Was his writing self-therapy? Oh, I don’t know. It’s good, it’s gross, it’s INTERESTING. This book is definitely more political than his others. However, there's still the same old dosage of smut, filth and complete degeneracy and perverseness throughout which will satisfy any Bukowski fan. Grammar-wise, there is something called “capital letter after punctuation” which you choose to neglect totally throughout your diary. This was very annoying, and frankly, you are not in position to set up your own grammar rules.Yeah, you can see why the FBI kept a file on Charles Bukowski for this book. At one point, someone says to a Bukowski self-insert character, "It doesn't matter whether your stories are true," to which Bukowski replies "They are." This could all be bluffing, but if not, then Bukowski has raped and beaten a good few souls in this world. If he isn't bluffing, he has coasted from a childhood of abuse and hatred to an adulthood of boozing, rape, violence, and laziness, all while maintaining interiority and literary wit. we are hooked, slapped and chopped silly; so silly that some of us finally love tormentors because they are there to torment us along logical lines of torture. this seems so reasonable, since there isn’t anything else showing.” urn:lcp:notesofdirtyoldm00buko:lcpdf:9411d777-b2d6-4048-8e0e-36a5a9f261c9 Extramarc Columbia University Libraries Foldoutcount 0 Identifier notesofdirtyoldm00buko Identifier-ark ark:/13960/t9z05rm5f Invoice 11 Isbn 0872860744

• Fruugo ID: 258392218-563234582
  • EAN: 764486781913
  • Sold by: Fruugo

Delivery & Returns

Fruugo

Address: UK
All products: Visit Fruugo Shop