Moderate Becoming Good Later: Sea Kayaking the Shipping Forecast

Moderate Becoming Good Later: Sea Kayaking the Shipping Forecast

RRP: £99
Price: £9.9
£9.9 FREE Shipping

In stock

We accept the following payment methods

Description

There’s a lot that might not be possible, but you should think of what is, and ask yourself: ‘What can I do?’. One of the things I hope it conveys is that it might be more helpful to think of limitations as a design challenge. It's rare to read a book that links place and motivation so clearly. Toby's story of seizing life's opportunities despite obstacles should inspire all of us to not let life pass us by. And the love of his sister Katie in finishing this story for Toby is profoundly moving.' - Ash Bhardwaj, travel journalist and broadcaster

Unscheduled storm warnings are broadcast via Safetynet and in bulletin WONT54 EGRR available via some internet and ftpmail outlets Storm warnings While Toby made it to 17 areas in the forecast and even had plans to get to the non-coastal areas covered by the forecast, ultimately his health prevented him reaching all 31. The perfect book for our times: from tragedy and stormy seas, come hope, connection, and elemental awe. Exceptionally beautiful and moving, a book that conjures connection to people, places and the ocean with the immediacy, grace and clarity of a kayak cutting through sea spray. * David Gange, historian and author of The Frayed Atlantic Edge *The sort of adventure I've often dreamed of late at night, with additional layers of poignancy and love. * Alastair Humphreys, adventurer and author * The book is a beautiful account of the sea voyages, the places and people Toby encountered. His love for the sea and the wild exciting exploration sea kayaking affords shines through. His words. Yet given structure and meaning by his sister Katie following his passing.

Variable 2 to 4 at first in northeast, otherwise westerly or northwesterly, becoming cyclonic, 4 to 6, then becoming northeasterly 5 to 7 later, occasionally gale 8 later. Armchair travel at its best. And I say "armchair" because I was very happy to just read this one, with all its thrills and spills, without feeling the need to go and do it myself. At times, I could practically feel the ocean churning beneath me, and my queasy stomach doing somersaults. A unique and heart-warming adventure, and beautifully written too. Bravo. - Simon Parker, journalist and author of Riding OutObviously, I understand how hard it must have been to finish writing a book someone else started when Katie didn't even experience what her brother lived through but at the very least, maybe it would've been worth it for her to go to the places he went and try and picture what he felt by being there, instead of looking at photos on Google.

The perfect book for our times: from tragedy and stormy seas, come hope, connection, and elemental awe. Exceptionally beautiful and moving, a book that conjures connection to people, places and the ocean with the immediacy, grace and clarity of a kayak cutting through sea spray. - David Gange, historian and author of The Frayed Atlantic Edge

About this book

To deal with the weight of losing her brother is an incredible burden. To take on the difficult task of turning reams of notes, audio recordings etc into a cogent book is admirable. One of the things I learned is that it’s really therapeutic to be able to turn something which is ugly and difficult into something which is a work of art or which is beautiful,” she said. What a special book. A manifesto for living, loving and laughing full-heartedly, whatever life's storms and forecasts bring. A guide and companion for us all, whether we are embarking on voyages of our choosing or dealing with waves and storms dealt to us. - Sarah Outen, adventurer and author A mesmerising and poignant story that shares how the sea can bring together people, places and purpose. This is a must-read book not just for sea kayakers, but for anyone looking for inspiration to make the most out of life. - Doug Cooper, author of Scottish Sea Kayaking and coach

At the beginning, in chapters Toby managed to complete before his death, he describes his upbringing, family life and reasons for taking on the challenge. The other outstanding chapters were those written by his sister about events following his death. Katie has managed to beautifully and sensitively describe the aftermath of his death. Sprinkling his ashes and some of the memories shared was particularly poignant. Thanks to extensive notes, voice recordings and videos that Toby made, she was able to complete the book, in her brother’s voice. Around the age of 12, Toby and Marcus were told they were unlikely to live to 30, although both lived full lives beyond this terrible prognosis. An incredible read of adventure and life that will draw you in and inspire you to pursue your own journeys. Katie has truly honoured her brother with this gripping recount. * Jenny Tough, adventurer and author of Tough Women Adventure Stories and Solo * Toby Carr an architect and senior lecturer at Falmouth University, decided he wanted to find out what all of the mythical sounding place names like Fisher, German Bight and Cromarty, Dogger and Heligoland were actually like, and what if feels like to experience "981, falling more slowly."Heartbreaking, and utterly wonderful. A journey that had to be made, and a story that had to be told. - Alex Bescoby, adventurer and author Sometimes the trips he makes are with friends and sometimes alone, taking in seas choppy and calm as he paddles the ever-present sea. Toby’s sister Katie Carr, who wrote Moderate Becoming Good Later in his voice One of the key messages of the book is getting people involved in nature and getting people outdoors, like a call to adventure,” Katie said. The avid adventurer hoped he would connect with nature and local people along the way, as well as work through the grief that came after the death of his brother Marcus.

• Fruugo ID: 258392218-563234582
  • EAN: 764486781913
  • Sold by: Fruugo

Delivery & Returns

Fruugo

Address: UK
All products: Visit Fruugo Shop