Quite: The Top 10 Sunday Times bestseller, hilarious stories and heartfelt advice from the much-loved Strictly Come Dancing co-host

£9.9
FREE Shipping

Quite: The Top 10 Sunday Times bestseller, hilarious stories and heartfelt advice from the much-loved Strictly Come Dancing co-host

RRP: £99
Price: £9.9
£9.9 FREE Shipping

In stock

We accept the following payment methods

Description

But now, Claudia Winkleman has brought out a book, which is both funny and smart. It isn’t a memoir, although there are allusions to her happy childhood. It’s more a peek into the inner workings of its author’s mind as she serves up a delicious smorgasbord of reflections on her 48 years. With so many opinions, it would be difficult to agree with them all, and it would be unreasonable to expect to. Most are innocuous but some are simply offensive - e.g. "an over-enthusiastic user of [the exclamation mark] is physically repellent. You don't want to go out with someone who uses emojis either." Sure, this is likely exaggerated for comic effect, but it is pretty extreme (and out-of-touch with common linguistic practice). Another part says that liking spicy food is an indication of "bad taste" - she goes on to say you shouldn't care, but it is an example of where this book is relatable mainly to the white middle class. There were sections where I totally agreed with her. Especially the topics of ankle books (I’ve lost count of the number of pairs that I own and have since being a teen), to her take on famous people, I don’t buy into all this celebrity stuff I just see people doing their jobs, whether that be a musician, actor, or presenter (sorry). But I do feel for those that have no control over their lives once they become famous. Within these six sections are different topics that Claudia felt passionate enough to write about (plus a section on squirrels her son made her add 🙂 ). You might not agree with everything Claudia has to say about life, you might think that some of the things that she talks about are definitely not the way you see things or run your life and that is okay. She is not preaching at you, telling you to change your life, she is merely telling you her thoughts on the subjects. Claudia Winkleman's warmth, humour, no-holds-barred attitude and smoky eye have made her the favourite broadcaster of millions and a much-loved household name.

Written in a chatty, humorous way – there are 6 main headings – all preceded by ‘Quite’ – Important (to me); Big; True; Inconvenient; Bossy; and Opinionated (I Know). Included are subheadings of all manner of various subjects and her musings and observations. Claudia Winkleman is one of the best known broadcasters in the UK, she won the RTS Award for Best Presenter in 2015, the WFTV award for Best Presenter in 2019 and has been BAFTA-nominated. Claudia currently co-hosts Strictly Come Dancing (BBC1) alongside Tess Daly and also has a Sunday night show on BBC Radio 2. Claudia also fronts the BBC1 cookery competition series Britain’s Best Home Cook alongside Mary Berry, which first aired in 2018 and will return to television screens again next year. She also regularly appears as a guest on panel shows including QI, 8 Out of 10 Cats, Big Fat Quiz of the Year and Would I Lie To You. Claudia has previously presented four series of The Great British Sewing Bee and was the host of BBC Film. Claudia is also a trustee of Comic Relief and has fronted the live television shows for both Red Nose Day and Sport Relief, along with spin-off shows including Let’s Dance for Comic Relief/ Sport Relief and the Comic Relief Danceathon. If you're coming to Coles by car, why not take advantage of the 2 hours free parking at Sainsbury's Pioneer Square - just follow the signs for Pioneer Square as you drive into Bicester and park in the multi-storey car park above the supermarket. Come down the travelators, exit Sainsbury's, turn right and follow the pedestrianised walkway to Crown Walk and turn right - and Coles will be right in front of you. You don't need to shop in Sainsbury's to get the free parking! Where to Find Us If you love brightly coloured clothes, wearing kitten heels, and green eyeshadow then you might not like what Claudia has to say. This is a beautiful book that isn’t preachy, nor is it a serious book. It is a book that will make you smile. It is relatable, clever, and had me strangely wanting to hear more about topics Claudia has feelings on.It’s not a book that you have to read straight through from cover to cover (although I did) but you can dip in, as the layout makes for an easy read. There were so many sections where I was nodding furiously in agreement and just one or two where I skim read, (usually the children focussed ones – only because I don’t have any and didn’t really relate to it). From 1st July 2021, VAT will be applicable to those EU countries where VAT is applied to books - this additional charge will be collected by Fed Ex (or the Royal Mail) at the time of delivery. Shipments to the USA & Canada: Claudia Winkleman's warmth, humour, no-holds-barred attitude and smoky eye have made her the favourite broadcaster of millions and a much-loved household name. Winkleman is also an author who doesn’t shy away from emotion, particularly in the chapters on parenting. She writes about her obsession with imprinting her kids’ names on everything from the bread-board to the doorstop and how she is dreading her eldest child leaving home, which moved me to tears. As part of the Strictly family, Claudia first presented Strictly Come Dancing: It Takes Two before joining Tess Daly on the main show in 2014. The following year she also hosted The People’s Strictly.

Secondly, this book consists of a lot of opinions. This is not per se a problem, but it reads more like a collection of blogposts - or in places Buzzfeed listicles - than a traditional book. Some chapters give interesting insight into Claudia's character and interests - her passion for the history of art really comes through and is great to read about - while others are opinions on fairly superficial things, told in an exaggerated way for comic effect. There are some glimmers into Claudia's life, but she keeps some cards closely guarded - e.g. a chapter on the health service alludes to various illnesses in her family but never gives any details.In presenter Claudia Winkleman’s first book she talks about life. From children to husbands, clothes to footwear, celebrities to Strictly, (sorry I’m not a fan), she covers all aspects that she has an opinion on. Claudia Winkleman’s warmth, humour, no-holds-barred attitude and smoky eye have made her the favourite broadcaster of millions and a much-loved household name.

Describing herself in the opening sentence as “a short, orange woman who occasionally reads out loud on the telly”, Claudia Winkleman seems unable to quite believe her own success. But this book will further it, though its title does her a disservice. It’s much more than “quite” good. To borrow a favourite Winkleman word, it is excellent. Thrown into the mix is a chapter on “Squirrel Etiquette”, insisted upon by her eight-year old son. (FYI, you should never throw a nut at a squirrel; just leave it close by so the furry little creature can see it.) This is an author who shows that, if your writing is sharp enough and witty enough, you can get away with ignoring the normal literary rules on structure and even subject matter. Claudia has a way with words, she makes you smile with her honest opinions and her openness. she even made me laugh on occasions. The book left me with a feel-good feeling and I sat and read it in one go, though it will be a book I will return to and go over again.

Review: Quite By Claudia Winkleman

• Fruugo ID: 258392218-563234582
  • EAN: 764486781913
  • Sold by: Fruugo

Delivery & Returns

Fruugo

Address: UK
All products: Visit Fruugo Shop