Quiet City

Quiet City

RRP: £8.99
Price: £4.495
£4.495 FREE Shipping

In stock

We accept the following payment methods

Description

Few pieces are more quintessentially American than Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue, and Simon Wright’s inventive arrangement for Balsom naturally foregrounds the trumpet. There is still a significant role for the piano, despatched with élan by Tom Poster, though the instrument points to why this version of the Rhapsody is ultimately unconvincing. Despite her romping, virtuosic bravura, Balsom’s wings are clipped by constant pianistic reminders of what the trumpet cannot do. The album will also feature Balsom’s newly edited version of Bernstein’s Lonely Town from his 1944 musical On the Town, depicting a visitor’s bewilderment and loneliness despite being in the crowds of New York City. This is followed by Ives’ extraordinary, ethereal and pioneering 1908 work The Unanswered Question for solo trumpet, flute quartet and strings, asking the “Eternal question of existence”. Audiences and musicians tend to discuss the philosophical meanings of Ives’s Unanswered Question; what does it mean to you? I have this habit where I feel I have to prove to the world what the trumpet is capable of... And I end up with a three-hour long list of music that I want to play in every album." British trumpeter Alison Balsom joins Russell Torrance to talk about what it was like to record her new album Quiet City (out Friday 26th August).

Miles Davis expressed his personality through his trumpet. And he was effortlessly stylish. He didn’t feel the need to do what Dizzy Gillespie, for example, was doing with the trumpet. That wasn’t him—that was someone else. OK, so Miles is Miles, and his is a totally different world to the one I inhabit. Yet, at the same time, I’m fascinated by that place where all the genres meet. Jazz musicians and classical composers of his time had such respect for each other even though they were doing different things. And mid-20th-century America was the perfect example of where they were all influencing each other, doing their own thing but open to each other’s influences. I had a wonderful time doing it and was amazed by the skills of the Britten Sinfonia, who played with so much panache and style.” I have this tendency when recording. I’m so busy trying to prove to the world that the trumpet can do so much more than people think; to try and cover too many themes. If we’re talking about America, should we talk about jazz, soul, blues, musical theatre, film, or twentieth-century greats? This slight misfire aside, there is much to enjoy, not least the arrangements Gil Evans made for Miles Davis of Kurt Weill’s My Shipand, more extensively, Rodrigo’s Concierto de Aranjuez. Written for Davis’s Sketches of Spain album, the wonderfully sultry take on the Concierto was the starting point for Balsom’s project. Revisiting the improvisatory practice of jazz icons with highly idiosyncratic techniques can fall flat, but Balsom and the Britten Sinfonia make it work. They are entirely idiomatic and wonderfully engaging, both here and in their other sketches of America. Use of the IJM content by those entitled to access by their relationship with a participating institution should read the terms of use for individuals. But perhaps most poignantly for Alison Balsom, Aaron Copland's Quiet City is a work that she has cherished since she was a young woman. Balsom tells Russell how when she first heard this work at the age of 17, it completely changed her life.The twin centrepieces of this album are Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue and the Adagio from Rodrigo’s Concierto de Aranjuez – both firmly established in the canon of classical hits, and both ripe for revisiting and reworking. Simon Wright’s trumpet-centric arrangement of the Rhapsody occupies something of a middle ground between the lushness of the widely-performed orchestral version and the punch of the original for jazz band. Balsom’s delicious rendition of the opening glissando assuages any initial doubts about the wisdom of the arrangement; her effortless, unforced high notes soon make their presence felt, and the sharing of the material between her and pianist Tom Poster in what has effectively become a double concerto feels as natural as if it had always been that way. The Ives is also an original work. Amazingly, it’s the earliest on the disc and feels, in a way, as the most pioneering and the most modern. He wrote it in 1908, which was very early for music like this. It’s really existential and thought-provoking. It’s also really musically complex and avant-garde. But it has a soundscape that’s just ravishing. Again, it felt like such a privilege for there to be a trumpet part: a haunting, lonely solo trumpet voice that made me love the piece and want to play it and have an opportunity to record it. And it’s a short piece, so you’re never going to really know how to curate it and have an opportunity to record a piece like this. I was delighted that I felt that it fitted in on this disc. Photo: Hugh Carswell. The album is based around American repertoire, featuring music by Aaron Copland, Leonard Bernstein, George Gershwin, Charles Ives, and Miles Davis (his arrangement of Joaquín Rodrigo's famed Concierto de Aranjuez) — where she has swapped out her normal C trumpet for something more "old and a bit smelly, with a bit of an air leak" — her uncle Peter's personal instrument! Balsom said the usual C trumpet she plays has too lyrical a sound for something by Miles Davis. Her uncle's trumpet proved to be the perfect instrument for it's slightly rougher tone, which worked with the live-recording set up they had. Listen to Alison Balsom on Classic Breakfast Loading... Balsom’s agility in the Rhapsody is remarkable – not just in fast passagework but in huge leaps across the instrument’s range. The price of adapting piano writing for the trumpet! No less beguiling, though, is her expressive, at times weightless, tone in the opening piece – Copland’s magical, atmospheric Quiet City. Its sheer meditative stillness perhaps makes it a more challenging piece to communicate effectively, but between them Balsom, Stroman and cor anglais Nicholas Daniel create something profound.

I feel that we all know that Miles Davis was such a legend and iconic musician who almost found another side and character to the trumpet. I felt that it deserved exploring as though he were the composer. I was looking for ways to bring those two worlds together.

Gain deeper insights into the world of classical music

The orchestration of Miles is fantastic. How much of it is close to the original, and what modifications did you do? You just signed a five-album deal with Warner. The first one, Quiet City, explores American music from the 20th century and will be released on August 26th. You recorded Copland’s Quiet City, a newly edited version of Bernstein’s Lonely Town from On the Town, Ives’s Unanswered Question, a brand-new orchestral arrangement from Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue, and two works by the iconic Miles Davis/Gil Evans partnership, Concierto de Aranjuez and My Ship.

• Fruugo ID: 258392218-563234582
  • EAN: 764486781913
  • Sold by: Fruugo

Delivery & Returns

Fruugo

Address: UK
All products: Visit Fruugo Shop