Mr Stink

Mr Stink

RRP: £7.99
Price: £3.995
£3.995 FREE Shipping

In stock

We accept the following payment methods

Description

We all went to see the show afterwards, and while it was a great performance (and for many the first time they'd ever been to the theatre), the book is of course a hundred times better! This is a heartwarming story about a young girl, Chloe, befriending a homeless person who smells. A LOT. Walliams is a comical genius, as the book is not just an enjoyable read for young children but to be enjoyed by much older children like myself! I would definitely use this book during a Key Stage 2 literacy lesson. I would get children involved in a House of Commons type debate about homelessness on the streets of London and what they would do for homeless people if they were Prime Minister for the day.

I could see this book being used the most within the KS2 age ranges (depending on reading ability). Just like Dahl's work, it would be great for imaginative/creative writing and also as individual reading development. Use raffia and other simple materials to weave a toy you can take home. Learn these ancient methods that have been passed on to Bianca and her family from her elders on Wiradjuri country, central NSW. Now Chloe’s got to make sure no one finds out her secret. And speaking of secrets, there just might be more to Mr Stink than meets the eye- or the nose. Teaching Ideas and Resources: English Look at Annabelle’s timetable. Can you think of questions that could be asked about it? e.g. How long does Chloe spend at school?… Chloe finishes scuba-diving at 9am. How long does she have until she has to go to show jumping? The illustrations in ‘Gangsta Granny’ by Tony Ross are lovely, however they don’t quite compare with those from the wonderful pen of Quentin Blake in ‘Mr Stink’.

Elizabeth

Imagine the telephone conversation between the Prime Minster and Mr. Stink. What might they say to each other? The new book by David Walliams is funny, thoughtful and quirkily written. Life for Chloe is pretty miserable thanks to her pretentious, controlling mother. To make matters worse her mother is completely preoccupied with her younger sister, Annabelle. Desperate to find someone who understands her, she befriends Mr Stink, the local tramp with a very questionable approach to hygiene! When Chloe invites him to live in her garden shed everyone’s life is changed forever.

Chloe: an unhappy 12-year-old girl who has brown hair. She loves her father dearly but does not like her sister and mother. She is very lonely. She has no friends and dislikes Christmas. She doesn't like Mince pies, tinsel and that it never snows. The one thing Chloe loves is stories. Her only friend is Mr Stink. Mr Crumb: Chloe and Annabelle's father and Janet's husband. He fears his wife and is the only member of the Crumb family who is fond with Chloe at the start of the story Mr Stink’ is a wonderfully written tale of a young girl called Chloe who befriends a witty tramp called Mr Stink. The two have a lot in common as both are incredibly lonely. Chloe is fed up of her mundane lifestyle and decides to move Mr Stink into the family’s garden shed. This does not go down too well with her Conservative MP running Mother, who would rather ban tramps or “soap-dodgers” as she calls them, from her streets. Scratch ’n’ Sniff Mr. Stink stank. He also stunk. And if it is correct English to say he stinked, then he stinked as well. He was the stinkiest stinky stinker who ever lived. A stink is the worst type of smell. A stink is worse than a stench. And a stench is worse than a pong. And a pong is worse than a whiff. And a whiff can be enough to make your nose wrinkle. It wasn’t Mr. Stink’s fault that he stank. He was a tramp, after all. He didn’t have a home and so he never had the opportunity to have a proper wash like you and me. After a while the smell just got worse and worse. Here is a picture of Mr. Stink. But our little Chloe who is a sweet, caring, and sympathetic child, befriends Mr Stink and tries to help him.Now what can you buy your homeless friend for Christmas?” said Raj as he scoured around his disorganized shop. “I have a box full of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles stationery sets I can’t seem to shift. Yours for only 3.99 pounds. In fact, buy one set, get ten free.” “I’m not sure a tramp really has any need for a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles stationery set, thanks anyway, Raj.” “We all have use of a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles stationery set, Chloe. You have your Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles pencil, your Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles eraser, your Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles ruler, your Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles pencil case, your Teenage Mutant—” “I get the idea, thanks, Raj, but I’m sorry, I’m not going to buy one. I’ve got to go,” said Chloe, edging out of the shop as she unwrapped her Crunchie. “I haven’t finished, Chloe. Please, I haven’t sold one! You also have your Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles pencil sharpener, your Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles notepad, your Teenage Mutant . . . oh, she’s gone.” “And what’s this, young lady?” demanded Mother. She was standing waiting in Chloe’s room. Between her thumb and index finger was one of Chloe’s exercise books from school. Mother held it as if it were an exhibit in a court case. “It’s just my math book, Mother,” said Chloe, gulping as she edged into the room. Quentin was the inaugural Children's Laureate (1999-2001), an experience he recorded in his book Laureate's Progress. During his time in the role, he celebrated children's books and children's book illustration with a range of projects and exhibitions, and conceived the idea for the House of Illustration, the world's first centre dedicated to the art of illustration in all its forms.

The story follows the journey of 12 year old Chloe, who at school is being bullied and has no friends. Chloe’s home life isn’t much happier either. Chloe has an annoying younger sister, Annabelle who is very popular, especially with their mother. Mr Stink centers around the life of a 12-year-old girl named Chloe, who one day comes across a homeless man, who is described as 'the stinkiest stinky stinker who ever lived'. Mr Stink comes into the town where Chloe lives and sets up home on a wooden bench. A lot of the locals in the town were nice to him, and did give him some money here and there, but everybody was so put-off by the smell of him that they would never approach him for a chat. Thank you,” he said. “Unimaginable kindness, but I can’t take it, sorry.” Chloe was confused. “Why ever not?” she asked. “You are but a child. Five pounds? It’s too, too generous.” “I just thought—” “It’s really kind of you, but I’m afraid I can’t accept. Tell me, how old are you, young lady? Ten?” “TWELVE!” said Chloe loudly. She was a little short for her age, but liked to think she was grown-up in lots of other ways. “I’m twelve. Thirteen on January the ninth!” “Sorry, you’re twelve. Nearly thirteen. Go and buy yourself one of those new musical stereo discs. Don’t you worry about an old vagabond like me.” He smiled. There was a real twinkle in his eye when he smiled. “If it’s not too rude,” said Chloe, “can I ask you a question?” “Yes, of course you can.” “Well, I would love to know: Why do you live on a bench and not in a house like me?” Mr. Stink shuffled slightly and looked anxious. “It’s a long story, my dear,” he said. “Maybe I will tell you another day.” Chloe was disappointed. She wasn’t sure there would be another day. If her mother found out that she was even talking to this man, let alone offering him money, she would go stark raving mad. “Well, sorry for bothering you,” said Chloe. “Have a lovely day.” As the

Mr Stink” could also be used as a core text for a group of children in Year 5 during a PSHE lesson. The children could explore issues surrounding homelessness in Britain and in other developing countries (extending this to a Geography lesson). The lesson could involve writing a letter to the Prime Minister David Cameron, suggesting changes to be made with regards to homeless people living on our streets.

• Fruugo ID: 258392218-563234582
  • EAN: 764486781913
  • Sold by: Fruugo

Delivery & Returns

Fruugo

Address: UK
All products: Visit Fruugo Shop