Promenade

Promenade

RRP: £99
Price: £9.9
£9.9 FREE Shipping

In stock

We accept the following payment methods

Description

Hannon isn't adverse to a spot of constructive plagiarism either - 'Timewatching' is a gloriously flamboyant re-write of 'When I Fall In Love' while 'Lucy' takes Wordsworth's 'A Slumber Did My Spirit Steal' and turns it into the lushest of love songs. The moral here, I think, is that if you're going to rip something off, do it with a sense of panache! Three Cheers for Pooh, Cottleston Pie, Piglet Ho", on the various artists charity album Colours Are Brighter (2006)

The Divine Comedy will remaster and reissue all their albums as 2CD deluxe editions and collect them in a special 24-disc CD box set called Venus, Cupid, Folly and Time – Thirty Years of The Divine Comedy. For the 30th Anniversary reissue, 'Promenade' has been remastered by Frank Arkwright at the legendary Abbey Road Studios, and the iconic images have been restored by photographer Kevin Westenberg. Oscar the Hypno-Dog", on the various artists charity album Oscar the Hypno-Dog and Other Tails (2012) Roberts, David (2006). British Hit Singles & Albums (19thed.). London: Guinness World Records Limited. ISBN 9781904994107. A Secret History... The Best of the Divine Comedy" (PDF). Music & Media . Retrieved 12 November 2020.

Contributors

Europe By Train' is one of the few occasions when Liberation abandons its quasi-Englishness, a cheeky Zorba The Greek parody which is redolent of sunkissed Mediterranean islands and a severe overdose of Ouzo. Top 100 Artist Album, Week Ending 11 February 2022". Official Charts Company . Retrieved 11 February 2022. Promenade is the third album by Northern Irish group The Divine Comedy. It is a concept album, telling the story of two lovers who spend an entire day together, eating and drinking, visiting a bookstore and a movie theater, and riding a Ferris wheel. Promenade', originally released in 1994, loosely recounts a day in the life of a pair of friends / siblings / lovers. The sample at the beginning of "The Booklovers" features Audrey Hepburn from the 1957 film Funny Face.

There Is a Light That Never Goes Out", on the various artists Smiths tribute album The Smiths Is Dead (1996) Promenade, like its predecessor, Liberation, was recorded by frontman Neil Hannon and co-producer Darren Allison, with the addition of a string quartet, as well as oboe/cor anglais courtesy of Joby Talbot, thus marking Talbot's first appearance with the band. Talbot would go on to become the arranger for most of the Divine Comedy's post- Casanova work, even co-writing two of the band's songs. [1] Concept [ edit ] The Melody Maker said "’Promenade’ is music hall, cool French films, late nights in a bygone city, sea-shanties swelled by alcohol.. ‘Promenade’ walks the path of indulgence with bravado and a mischievous grin. A stolen masterpiece." Reviewing for Select, Stuart Maconie said "’Promenade’ is a masterpiece. If you do one brave and imaginative thing this month, be on the side of the angels and buy this record."

Allison, Darren. A Secret History... The Best of the Divine Comedy (CD booklet). Setanta Records. SETCDL100. The songs that are sincere, such as the domestic drama “Norman and Norma,” and the brokenhearted lover’s lament, “A Feather in Your Cap” are surprisingly so, so much so that I waited for a punchline that never quite came. In the case of the former, I’m actually happy that Norman and Norma—who we’ve seen raise their children and fall into romantic complacency—find their bliss in battle reenactments. “I’m a Stranger Here,” a simple piano-based melodic operetta, punctuated by sweetly swirling strings, about a time traveler trying to navigate his new surroundings, plays similarly. A sweet plea for assistance as he realizes the life and home he knows is gone, he sings, “If you ask where I come from, I’ll say ‘the past’ and wander on” - PASTE A Short Album About Love peaked at No. 21 in October 2020 when re-issued on their own label Divine Comedy

The CD release consists of 2 discs: the original remastered album, with a second CD of B-sides, demos and alternate versions put together by Neil, much of which is from his personal archive and has never been heard before. This 2CD Set comes with a booklet of photos with extensive liner notes written by Neil covering the context and content of each album. Geronimo - Outside, it's raining, and our protagonists beat a hasty retreat to "a place he knows". Quite an urgent piano song, as the frisson between the couple briefly threatens to truncate an album into an EP. But the tale must remain chaste for now, and the ditty is soon over. Don't Look Down - Our couple are now off to the fairground, and in another deeply Nyman-esque tune (minimalist piano, baroque strings, reed flourishes, you know the drill), it's the man who doesn't want to get on the big wheel. Ahh, for the good old days when men were men and pansies were flowers. But like a bloke who goes to see Legally Blonde 2 just to impress the lady he's with, he eventually succumbs. To the big wheel anyway; any fleshier succumbing will have to wait a bit. This is a lyrically splendid song, even by the standards of a generally lyrically splendid album; the first half resolves itself with the great payoff:Our Love Goes Deeper Than This" by Duke Special, on the 2-CD version of Songs from the Deep Forest (2006)

• Fruugo ID: 258392218-563234582
  • EAN: 764486781913
  • Sold by: Fruugo

Delivery & Returns

Fruugo

Address: UK
All products: Visit Fruugo Shop