Boy in a China Shop: Life, Clay and Everything

Boy in a China Shop: Life, Clay and Everything

RRP: £99
Price: £9.9
£9.9 FREE Shipping

In stock

We accept the following payment methods

Description

Keith is married to Marjory Hogarth, who works in the Theatre. Keith has stated before that he is extremely proud of his wife, as he is an obsessive workaholic, with utter dedication to his trade and the quality of his products. A crying Keith Brymer Jones is a frequent occurrence on Great British Throwdown. What makes him cry? This is one of the biggest complaints we have from customers is that they think the pottery is made in the UK by Keith. This is understandable in some respects having watched him extensively on the Great British Pottery Throwdown hand making many ceramics. Unfortunately, due to the huge popularity of the ranges, they cannot be made by Keith any more. The process of how they are made was explained by him as the following - I discovered The Great Pottery Throwdown on HBO here in the US in January 2022 and binge-watched all five seasons in nothing flat. TGPT was a welcome respite from the seemingly endless procession of depressing news – inflation, Ukraine, mass shootings, Covid, climate change... TGPT was the antidote I needed – a gentle show with gentle people and low stakes (no million-dollar prizes or scheming contestants here). At the helm, some wonderful hosts and judges who encouraged and supported the non-combatants with sensitivity and good humor, and sometimes even tears. That is, judge and master potter Keith Brymer Jones' tears.

We are excited to welcome potter, Channel 4’s The Great Pottery Throwdown Judge and Boy in a China Shop: Life, Clay and Everything author Keith Brymer-Jones to Ditchling Museum of Art + Craft! to create simple yet stylish products which are pleasing to the eye, practical in the modern home and, above all, make people happy!’ 💕

His ability to empathise with the other potters is striking. Perhaps this is because his route into pottery has been unconventional too. “I’ve never had a formal training, as such,” he tells me. When he was first announced as a judge on the show, a lot of people (shall we call them ceramicists?) were nonplussed, he explains. “Who the bloody hell is Keith Brymer Jones? Never heard of him. Oh, he must be one of those business types.” He spent most of his career making commercial pots out of limelight. Now he’s written an autobiography in the hope that he will demonstrate that there are other paths into creative careers that don’t involve art school.

If I was producing clothing or cuddly toys, or for that matter mobile phones, would I feel differently? Who knows? But to produce ceramic from its very birthplace, it was a no brainer” Is Keith Brymer Jones Welsh? They obviously couldn’t do it in words, I say. “No! Of course not! They still call me a c*** now!” he tells me. In addition to the Word Range, Keith has finally introduced his Studio Range in Summer 2023. A gorgeous range of stoneware products which has a more organic aesthetic compared to his Word Range. Ballet dancer. Front man in an almost famous band. Judge on The Great Pottery Throwdown . How did all that happen?After his apprenticeship, Brymer Jones started out hand-making ceramics for retailers including Conran Group, Habitat, Barneys New York, Monsoon, Laura Ashley and Heal’s. He began to develop the Word Range for the first time; he was originally attracted to words because of their shapes, as he is dyslexic. Brymer Jones describes working with clay, shape and form as a natural affinity, as a result of his condition. It was an art school teacher, Mr Mortman, who first introduced him to pottery. One day, Brymer Jones walked into art class and found a ball of terracotta clay was waiting at his desk. “Just looking at this lump of clay washed away all the anxiety I usually felt when I was asked to do anything in class,” he writes in the book. “It felt amazing, like I was holding my own imagination in my hands.” He began sculpting an owl. “My, my, that looks very nice, Keith!”, he recalls Mr Mortman saying: a rare piece of encouragement from a teacher that would stay with him for years. Keith was born in London in 1965. His interest in pottery started at a young age but it wasn’t until his starting an apprenticeship, at Harefield pottery in London, that he considered that it could be a worthwhile career. Who is Keith Brymer Jones’s wife?

• Fruugo ID: 258392218-563234582
  • EAN: 764486781913
  • Sold by: Fruugo

Delivery & Returns

Fruugo

Address: UK
All products: Visit Fruugo Shop