But What Can I Do?: Why Politics Has Gone So Wrong, and How You Can Help Fix It

But What Can I Do?: Why Politics Has Gone So Wrong, and How You Can Help Fix It

RRP: £99
Price: £9.9
£9.9 FREE Shipping

In stock

We accept the following payment methods

Description

In the fall of 2019, frustrated with the obvious inaction of politicians and inspired by Greta Thunberg, Naomi Klein, and student climate strikers, Jane Fonda moved to Washington, DC to lead weekly climate change demonstrations on Capitol Hill. On October 11, she launched Fire Drill Fridays (FDF), and has since led thousands of people in non-violent civil disobedience, risking arrest to protest for action. In her new book, Fonda weaves her deeply personal journey as an activist alongside conversations with leading climate scientists, and discussions of specific issues, such as water, migration, and human rights, to emphasize what is at stake. Most significantly, Fonda provides concrete solutions, and things the average person can do to combat the climate crisis in their community. This is the last possible moment in history when changing course can mean saving lives and species on an unimaginable scale. It's too late for moderation."

His exploration of leadership is refreshing, as is his urge to authenticity (don't become a banker, work for a charity on a much lower wage ...). Even his new word 'persevilience' was a valuable addition to his arguments. What did Jane do when she was processed and put in a jail cell? Well, this 82 year old woman who once led the aerobics mania of the 80s with her leggings-and-Reebok-clad videos, stated "I spent the time doing wall squats." Ha ha! Go, Jane!If you have a book that is falling apart and isn’t worth selling or donating, then recycling it might be your best option. The climate crisis has everything to do with the military. Every single war fought in the past eighty years, if not longer, has been about oil." I found the 'Why politics has gone so wrong' part of the book to contain very little in the way of new criticisms of our political landscape. All points have been articulated in numerous articles, podcasts, interviews etc etc and although Campbell uses some refreshing metaphors and anecdotes to articulate his points, I didn't feel like I learned anything new. What can an average Joe do to make things better? Some answers are there, but there is a lot more to complement.

I have been trying to live in a more sustainable and environmentally friendly way. Part of that involves reading more about the issues and learning about how we can all help towards larger goals. I didn’t know what to expect going into this one but I saw Jane take part in one of my favourite podcasts and Youtube channels, Pod Save America/Crooked Media, and couldn’t resist listening to the audiobook, narrated by Jane Fonda herself. In chapters entitled Resist Cynicism and Develop a Campaigning Mindset, he cajoles and pleads younger people from every sector of society to overcome their disillusion, and to adopt the Obama mindset of Yes We Can.Clearly he is a remainer (as was 48% of the UK) and highlights the flaws and contempt for referendums which was the fault of the Tories and the middle class white elite, indicating how awful the principles are behind referendums but opens the book with how the Scottish should hold their own referendum, as is their right (more sycophancy and another blatant attempt at 'us' the Scottish versus 'them' the middle class white elite and ignorant English. The book also goes into other issues like refugees, deforestation, oceans, women, policies, and many more. I learned so much, even though it’s mainly focused on The United States, (rightly so)💪🏽Loved all the indigenous voices too. Cheers to women. 🥂 ( Yes, Wangari Maathai) . In recent years, the world of politics has taken a series of disastrous wrong turns. We have witnessed leaders who can’t – or shouldn’t be allowed to – lead, policies that are either self-serving or don’t work, and world views that are corrosive or short term. Alastair Campbell’s aim in ‘But What Can I Do?’ is twofold: to explain why things have gone so wrong, and to show what we can to help put them right. A mix of polemic, analysis and practical advice, this is a political masterclass from a master political commentator and strategist. Alastair Campbell is widely regarded as one of our leading political commentators – this book shows why.

For some, the hardest items to declutter are books. But one of the most common questions I get asked is, “ Where can I donate books?” Every chapter ends with a section: What Can I Do, with specific, actionable steps. It's not enough to raise the alarm--you have to empower people with information on how they can get involved to solve the problem. This book does this so well that I have just realized with a sigh that I will have to return my library copy and go buy a copy for my permanent use. One example: The financial industry--it is time to take a really close look at who you are supporting with your 401(k).

I am currently trying to save Toddler books from the recycle bin that are surplus from the public library after the library book sales. Though he never liked Margaret Thatcher, she never sank this low. Boris Johnson, however? “I have considerable experience of prime ministers,” he writes. “Whether Tory or Labour, none were liars. Johnson was, and is. Fact.” Our politics is a mess. Leaders who can't or shouldn't be allowed to lead. Governments that lie, and seek to undermine our democratic values. Policies that serve the interests of the privileged few. It's no surprise that so many of us feel frustrated, let down and drawn to ask, 'But what can I do?' Given my political views are similar to Alastair Campbell, I enjoyed much of his wry and realistic analysis of the world today. His explanation of polarising populism across different countries (not only Trump and Johnson) is engaging, as is his exposure of the corruption of truth. His structure reminded me of one of my top reads of recent years, The Climate Book, by Greta Thunberg: analyse the problem, then help the reader to become engaged as an activist. Alastair Campbell was born in Keighley, Yorkshire in 1957, the son of a vet. Having graduated from Cambridge University in modern languages, he went into journalism, principally with the Mirror Group. When Tony Blair became leader of the Labour Party, Campbell worked for him first as press secretary, then as official spokesman and director of communications and strategy from 1994 to 2003. He continued to act as an advisor to Mr Blair and the Labour Party, including during subsequent election campaigns. He now splits his time between writing, speaking, politics in Britain and overseas, consultancy and charity, as chairman of fundraising for Leukaemia and Lymphoma Research, and a leading ambassador for the mental health campaign Time to Change.

• Fruugo ID: 258392218-563234582
  • EAN: 764486781913
  • Sold by: Fruugo

Delivery & Returns

Fruugo

Address: UK
All products: Visit Fruugo Shop