Decomposed: The Political Ecology of Music (The MIT Press)

£9.9
FREE Shipping

RRP: £99
Price: £9.9
£9.9 FREE Shipping

In stock

We accept the following payment methods

Description

In “Into the Wild,” the book I wrote about McCandless’s brief, confounding life, I came to a different conclusion.

He reveals how a range of apparently peripheral people and processes are actually central to what music is, how it works, and why it matters. It’s a story about falling in love with music and finding a way to make it even when the world says no. My interest in political economy dates back to my studentyears where I combined the study of the history of political economy, economics, and philosophy. For instance, we might consider the protracted process of automation and deskilling that begins with the mass production of the piano, continues with the player-piano and phonograph, and culminates with digital streaming, as the story of capital’s real subsumption of music-making. Devine holds out hope for a shift in consciousness, similar to the one that has taken place in our relationship with food.There was no turning back from this fire—once kindled, it would burn until the person who had eaten the grasspea would ultimately be crippled …. The more they’d eaten, the worse the consequences—but in any case, once the effects had begun, there was simply no way to reverse them …. Notions of creative cooperation make up for ruthless competition, and the expectation of legal protection only shows that without regulatory powers market forces cannot function. At the end of “Decomposed,” Devine incorporates his ecology of music into a more comprehensive vision of anthropogenic crisis. Never mind the goblins, who knows what disaster would befall the victim should we place the leek up the wrong nostril.

Here, it is useful to take a wider historical view to think about the conditions of contemporary music production and consumption and the aesthetic exceptionality of music as a cultural object. But in hinging his dispersion of music to particular staple commodities out of which it’s made, Devine risks obscuring the relations of power that condition the very processes he seeks to understand. It is a surprising story that takes us through the Civil War and ideas about death, deaf children and their teachers, the discipline of medicine, and the practice of folklore. Because that one man is James Acaster, it also includes tales of befouling himself in a Los Angeles steakhouse, stealing a cookie from Clint Eastwood, and giving drunk, unsolicited pep talks to urinating strangers.This entails the rejection of any aesthetic or phenomenological analysis or indeed, any exception for music whatsoever.

Between 1950 and 2000, formats such as LPs, cassettes, and CDs were all made of petroleum-based plastic.Arthur Kessler, understood what this implied, particularly when within months, hundreds of the young male inmates of the camp began limping, and had begun to use sticks as crutches to propel themselves about. This picture book follows Lenny, a composer, who stops and listens to sounds of daily life which gives him inspiration for his own compositions. Every field of human endeavor entails some form of environmental destruction, and the music industry is perhaps no worse than any other. It’s a constant battle with yourself, the people around you, the world, and it’s exhausting and sometimes it can be too much but we find ways to keep going and books help me do that (as well as crying, screaming, potatoes). Quite a few progression/recipe changes due to space limitations, details can be found on the Lexaloffle page.

Music is seen as the most immaterial of the arts, and recorded music as a progress of dematerialization-an evolution from physical discs to invisible digits. It turns out that cultural shifts encouraged the preservation of sound, and those machines we developed in turn changed the ways we listen. Most importantly, the application takes full advantage of the scalability, availability, and resiliency features found in modern cloud platforms. Following that lead, this book presents cloud-native principles, patterns, and best practices that are technology agnostic.

Less well known, if at all, is Song Ci, whose casebook ‘Washing Away of Wrongs’ provided coroners with a step-by-step guide to autopsy and forensic investigation.

• Fruugo ID: 258392218-563234582
  • EAN: 764486781913
  • Sold by: Fruugo

Delivery & Returns

Fruugo

Address: UK
All products: Visit Fruugo Shop