Living a Feminist Life

Living a Feminist Life

RRP: £99
Price: £9.9
£9.9 FREE Shipping

In stock

We accept the following payment methods

Description

To calculate the overall star rating and percentage breakdown by star, we don’t use a simple average. But more than that, she provides us with a survival guide, some coping strategies combined with wisdom and inspiration. How the reports and measurements and self-congratulatory events can become the very tool of oppression by managers that do not at all understand the issues of diversity in the workplace.

Living a Feminist Life makes visible the continuous work of feminism, whether it takes place on the streets, in the home, or in the office. Over time, with experience, you sense that something is wrong or you have a feeling of being wronged. This is a powerful case for a transformative politics, for a politics that acts while being acutely aware of the limitations on and of those who are its actors, for recognition of the banality and mundanity of struggle alongside the everydayness of Power’s defence of itself and for acceptance of the values of not putting up with things that are causing us harm in and of that struggle. Women might end up not even having much space in front of their own seats; that space has been taken up. Payments made using National Book Tokens are processed by National Book Tokens Ltd, and you can read their Terms and Conditions here.Here’s what I appreciated: the focus on the falsity of the idea of the feminist as the cause her own suffering. To be a lesbian is to stray away from the path you are supposed to follow if you are to reach the right destination. Maddi olmayan olarak, hayaletler olarak, kendimizi dahil etmekten, bir şey yapmaktan, bir şey olmaktan nasıl alıkoyduğumuz olarak duvarların yeniden çerçevelenişinde bir duvar ortaya çıkar. It’s okay to discuss different experiences but it’s exhausting not to have allies that don’t also attack.

The section where she discusses her own feminist awakening(s) but in the second person is certainly a choice that I struggled with, because it took what was a personalized experience and made it feel universalized (which is a thing that happens a lot in less careful feminisms through discussions of socialization that universalize rather than personalize;) while I appreciate the need for distance from her own trauma, I think it made that section far messier and unclear than it might have otherwise.I also loved the discussions revolving around certain feminist books and movies, especially A Question of Silence.

The author indicates that she came to feminist studies by way of Philosophy and English studies and that she was most marked by a professor who was trained in the Lacanian school of thought - Maybe this is the source of my issues with the book. Because for Ahmed, words make worlds and her book — the first after she left academia in feminist revolt — is full of bluesy world-play. Her metaphor conjures memories of feminist Audre Lorde’s contention that you cannot tear down the master’s house with the master’s tools.She sees them as simply a ruse – a way of looking like something is being done, when really nothing is being done. If feminism allows us to redirect our emotions towards different objects, our emotions can become their objects.

However, I have never before read a non-fiction text that so beautifully and accurately describes what it really means to act as a feminist.

When you have learned something, when you have received the message of this instruction, your feelings are given direction and shape. I began the first chapter of my book Strange Encounters by evoking this image: the stranger as a shadowy figure with a "grey mac shimmering at your feet" (Ahmed 2000, 19). The history of the word woman teaches us how the categories that se- cure personhood are bound up with a history of ownership: woman is derived from a compound of wif (wife) and man (human being); woman as wife-man also suggesting woman as female servant.

• Fruugo ID: 258392218-563234582
  • EAN: 764486781913
  • Sold by: Fruugo

Delivery & Returns

Fruugo

Address: UK
All products: Visit Fruugo Shop