Damage: INSPIRATION FOR THE NETFLIX SERIES OBSESSION

Damage: INSPIRATION FOR THE NETFLIX SERIES OBSESSION

RRP: £9.99
Price: £4.995
£4.995 FREE Shipping

In stock

We accept the following payment methods

Description

Friends, I wish I could tell you more, but I do not wish to spoil the story for anyone .. Please do yourself a favor, if you can tolerate adultery, jump into this story blindly. With an unapologetically detached, yet strikingly honest narrator, the reader is drawn into the tragic story of a man obsessed with a life he's destined never to have, all the while obliterating the very life that he's dispassionately built.

Knowing cats, a lifetime of cats, what is left is a sediment of sorrow quite different from that due to humans: compounded of pain for their helplessness, of guilt on behalf of us all.'' Continue reading » Our jobs in the UK are to make properly authentic local programming that will be hopefully loved by our UK members but also has potential to reach the world.” Oblivion is simple, complex, rich, cold, intriguing, bleak, and hopeful. The relatively short novel not only contains its own plot, but an entire play, a drama critic's article, several letters, and a chunk of a secondary character's diary, making its structure a bit of a challenge. The transition to the play is jarring, and I had difficulty understanding that the play had started and that the thoughts being expressed were words said by the actors and not in the narrator's head. That may have been Hart's intent, in that the book moves rapidly and frequently between Andrew's (the narrator's) thoughts and dialogue with other characters, evoking the foggy experience of grief that blurs the line between outer and inner worlds -- being half there in each world, and yet not there at all, not sure if one is thinking or talking, hearing voices inside or outside. This could be brilliant, but I can't decide because it's not a pleasant place to be. Most of the book isn't a pleasant place to be. Outliving One's Offspring: Stephen and his wife Ingrid outlive their son Martyn who dies from falling into a stairwell.Peter Travers of Rolling Stone magazine praised Louis Malle's direction of the film and a "faithful film version" in regards to the original novel by Josephine Hart. Of the cast, Travers was most favourable towards Richardson's performance: "Richardson is extraordinary; it's a brave, award-caliber performance." [9] Following the presentation from the three executives, director SJ Clarkson and lead actress Sienna Miller presented the trailer for UK series Anatomy Of A Scandal, about a sexual consent scandal among the UK elite and the women caught in its wake.

This story is awful, but also the most human novel I’ve ever read. Life is ugly and imperfect and riddle with bad decisions. Even seemingly good decisions can, in hindsight, become less than desirable. Wow, I sound cynical. Formerly a director of Haymarket Publishing, Hart was a founder of Gallery Poets and West End Poetry Hour. She produced several West End plays, including the Evening Standard Award winner The House of Bernarda Alba by Federico García Lorca. Chilling and brilliant, Damage is a New York Times bestselling masterpiece of the romantic suspense genre.This book was made into a good film in 1992, starring Jeremy Irons, and it's probably his presence in that which reminded me of Lolita, as he appeared in the excellent remake of that film as well. Access-restricted-item true Addeddate 2009-12-11 18:57:31 Bookplateleaf 0004 Boxid IA104611 Boxid_2 BL11203T Camera Canon 5D City New York Donor However, when Roger’s eyes met Anna’s for the first time, sparks flew.. In each other, they instantly feel sexual attraction, in the form of extreme weakness and need for each other, due to a mutual brokenness they recognize in each other, a pain they carry from from childhood. I want to know what's wrong with loving someone for life? Even when they're dead? What exactly is wrong with that? Why should I put him away, out of my mind? Like he's out of fashion. Does no one love for ever any more? Is no one built for the long road?” Of course it is proof of the excellent writing that although I did end up feeling extremely uncomfortable about the road to self-destruction the narrator so willingly took I had to follow him to the bitter end.

Anna and her brother were very close, so close that he committed suicide when Anna started dating a man. However, it is never revealed if Anna was really romantically involved with her brother. But, as a therapist, I'm having a hard time leaving my therapy-mind out of it, and diagnosing his bad thinking, behavior and lust in DSM-IV-TR terms. I can't read books about bad behavior without this permanent filter now, and that takes some of my former fun out of reading, but there you go. The violent dreamscape of Damage stayed with me long after I closed the book. Did I dream it? Did I live it? My very uncertainty tells me I have read something rare.” A seemingly happily married man who has it all enters into an illicit affair with his sons girlfriend and becomes obsessed with having and keeping her. This affair will be the ruin of all of them.Last month, I watched the 1992 film adaptation of this book as "homework" for the podcast You Must Remember This. The story affected me enough that I had to experience it again in its original medium. As I'd hoped, the written form enabled a deeper connection to the protagonist's subjective experience than even the excellent film. urn:lcp:damagehart00hart:epub:b8ad0a49-1cbd-4577-8263-5f7ac0349bf7 Foldoutcount 0 Identifier damagehart00hart Identifier-ark ark:/13960/t5x643n3b Isbn 0804108412 Damage is very smartly-written and effective in arousing curiosity in readers, leading us to question the characters’ self-destructive actions.

At one point, Fleming asks Anna: ‘Who are you?’ and she replies: ‘I am what you desire…’ While Fleming fantasises about the possibility of leaving his wife and living with Anna, she realises that their relationship is outside of normal bounds and social conventions. It is only there that it can exist. His affair with Anna is both an awakening and a dream-state, a loss of self to the intoxication of desire, and a finding of the self. The Flemings visit Edward Lloyd, Ingrid's father and Stephen's political mentor, to celebrate her birthday. Martyn announces that Anna has accepted his proposal of marriage, which visibly disturbs Stephen. That night, Sally observes him leaving Anna's room. An anxious Stephen lies about it, telling Sally he was talking to Anna about the marriage because Ingrid was upset. Later, the Flemings have lunch with Anna's mother, Elizabeth, who disparages the marriage, saying that Martyn doesn't seem like Anna's 'usual type' but noting how closely he resembles Anna's dead brother. Elizabeth notices the strained behavior between Anna and Stephen. She deduces the affair and warns Stephen to end it.The main word I’d use to describe this book is bizarre. It started off weird and continues being weird the entire way through the book. I was really compelled to keep reading but at no point did I actually really enjoy what I was reading - it was just odd. The main character in this book has always tried to do the right thing. He is a serious straight laced man He's a A loving father and a devoted husband and he is happy in his somewhat sterile but pleasant marriage. Her novels show that she was not afraid of big, unruly, raw – savage, even – feelings, the real stuff of human relations. But she was far from being serious and high-minded at all times. She teased, loved banter, had a great warmth and laughed easily. She gave the world a special appreciation – for poetry and for words – believing that words could make it all worthwhile. She was right, but no small part of that was because she was the one delivering them. Josephine is survived by her husband and sons. Financial Times "Next to the often-contrived twists and revelations of today’s psychological suspense, Hart’s spare tale of all-consuming obsession is refreshingly straightforward." Library Journal

• Fruugo ID: 258392218-563234582
  • EAN: 764486781913
  • Sold by: Fruugo

Delivery & Returns

Fruugo

Address: UK
All products: Visit Fruugo Shop