How to Be a Graphic Designer, Without Losing Your Soul

How to Be a Graphic Designer, Without Losing Your Soul

RRP: £99
Price: £9.9
£9.9 FREE Shipping

In stock

We accept the following payment methods

Description

Not really, because the expectations were already clear. I was a little bit aware of the unpleasant truths and tasks I need to work on as a graphic designer.

It may not be “art for art’s sake,” but that doesn’t make it any less important. In fact, the goal of good graphic design actually makes this particular industry more vital to how the world runs on a day-to-day basis.With chapters like ‘How to find a job, Self-promotion, Being freelance’ etc, its provided tremendously honest and calming advice. First off, the idea of trends only becoming trends because they are universally liked is a fallacy. Trends often take over not because of their popularity but because of their notoriety, which is an entirely different thing. So how can you keep your head in the clouds and your feet on the ground? Here are my tips for how to be a graphic designer without completely losing your soul. And if that doesn’t happen today, it might very well happen tomorrow, or next week, or a year or two down the line. Published to instant acclaim in 2005, our best selling How to Be a Graphic Designer without Losing Your Soul has become a trusted resource for graphic designers around the world, combining practical advice with philosophical guidance to help young professionals embark on their careers. This new, expanded edition brings this essential text up to date with new chapters on professional skills, the creative process, and global trends that include social responsibility, ethics, and the rise of digital culture. How to Be a Graphic Designer offers clear, concise guidance along with focused, no-nonsense strategies for setting up, running, and promoting a studio; finding work; and collaborating with clients. The book also includes inspiring new interviews with leading designers, including Jonathan Barnbrook, Sara De Bondt, Stephen Doyle, Ben Drury, Paul Sahre, Dmitri Siegel, Sophie Thomas, and Magnus Vol Mathiassen. How to be a Graphic Designer Without Losing Your Soul by Adrian Shaughnessy – eBook Details

The book is split up into sections based on different areas of being a graphic designer… finding a job, working for yourself, or someone else, freelance work, setting up a studio, which are all useful regardless of whether you think it’s relevant to you or not. I design freelance, and I am happy doing so, but I still read the studio parts of the book, and still found them helpful. If your client is a trend monster(or a trend-setter, which is almost worse), this tip may seem easier said than done. After all, design trends make the world go-’round, right? Trends become popular because people like them. If we don’t do what’s popular, how will people like us? On top of that, trends come and go on almost a day by day basis. Trying to stay on top of them and create designs “in the mode” is a surefire way to lose your focus as a designer. How should designers manage the creative process? What's the first step in the successful interpretation of a brief? How do you generate ideas when everything just seems blank? How to be a graphic designer offers clear, concise guidance for these questions, along with focused, no-nonsense strategies for setting up, running, and promoting a studio, finding work, and collaborating with clients. My final tip for keeping yourself whole even as you struggle to make a living as a designer — because don’t be fooled, it can be a struggle at times, just like any other industry — is to just have fun with it. Remember those bad puns and jokes I mentioned? Maybe they’re good for a laugh, but they might also be the key to the design inspiration you need.Well, it’s a nice idea. In truth, the majority of graphic designers don’t have the privilege and the luxury of working on “artsy” pieces — to pay the bills with graphic design, it’s more a case of functionality over form, legibility over creativity, and deadlines over exploration. For those of us who came into graphic design with a dream in our hearts and our heads in the clouds, the actual process of making a living can be a rude awakening. With this tip, I’m not trying to say “ignore all trends, do your own thing, and be a wild and free anarchist!” I’m merely cautioning against an overdependence on doing the “trendy” thing. If there’s a trend you like that fits with your projects, by all means use it as a jumping off point. If there’s a trend that you don’t know much about and which intrigues you, by all means experiment with it and let it build your artistic experience. But jumping from trend to trend, regardless of whether it makes sense for your portfolio or career path, is a surefire way to land in exhaustion and, ultimately, professional oblivion.

The book was first published when I graduated in 2005 and it came at the perfect time for me. I had decided to move from Cork, Ireland to the big city of London to start my design career. To say I was terrified, would be an understatement. And it was Adrian Shuaghnessy’s book that was my introduction into the industry. My course in University was extremely conceptual, but had very little in the way of the working industry. As I applied for jobs, this book gave me everything I needed to know, what to do, and more importantly, what not to do. Author Adrian shared what we are already aware of (maybe because I read the second edition), but reading the same thought from another creative man and from another country brings connection in terms of hustle, fear and learning.I have referred to it my whole design career, it must be a great book because, 13 years later, I’m still here doing what I love, being a designer with a soul.

• Fruugo ID: 258392218-563234582
  • EAN: 764486781913
  • Sold by: Fruugo

Delivery & Returns

Fruugo

Address: UK
All products: Visit Fruugo Shop