We Are Legion (We Are Bob) (Bobiverse Book 1)

£9.9
FREE Shipping

RRP: £99
Price: £9.9
£9.9 FREE Shipping

In stock

We accept the following payment methods

Description

It was good and well-written but didn't have a singular story line to get invested in or excited about throughout the novel. I thought it was pretty standard fare with some cool ideas thrown in. Without the bobs it would have been a little dull and even with them it wasn't remarkable. The learning curve for Bob after he was "awoken" was a great way of gently immersing the reader into the future and make us one of the Bobs. The story is about a young millionaire who invests into cryogenetics - a project freezing your head after your death so you can be revived and given a new (enhanced) body by science in the future (once the technology exists). The opportunity to not only pay but actually participate in the program comes much sooner than he had thought (that's what you get for crossing the street at the right place - bwahahahaha) but when he wakes up things have ... not exactly gone according to plan. Original Bob continues to shepherd the still-primitive Deltans, and his friend Archimedes, through threats and conflict, while one Bob falls in love and Bill, the resident of Epsilon Eridani gets ever closer to building an android that can physically embody the consciousness of his fellow Bobs. Bob Johansson wakes up many years later only to find out that the corpsicles have already been declared to be without any rights, and Bob is now the state property. He has already been uploaded to computer’s hardware and he’s slated to become the controlling AI in the interstellar probe that’s looking for the habitable planets. Stakes are high here: no lesser than the 1st claim to whole worlds. If Bob declines this honor, he shall be switched off, and in turn, they will try again with another person. If he decides to accept, he will become a prime target. As the story unfold, there are 3 other countries that are trying to get their probes launched first, and so they play dirty.

Part one of the story revolves around Bob's "resurrection" and training for the mission to space. The story had my curiosity at this part, but I wasn't actually into the story.It’s a very simple story. Bob Johansson is a young Internet entrepreneur who has just sold his successful business to a larger competitor. Flush with cash, he arranges for his body to be put in cryogenic storage when he dies as an insurance policy, and on the way to a SF convention he gets distracted crossing the street and… Goodreads Librarians are volunteers who help ensure the accuracy of information about books and authors in the Goodreads' catalog. The Goodreads Libra Goodreads Librarians are volunteers who help ensure the accuracy of information about books and authors in the Goodreads' catalog. The Goodreads Librarians Group is the official group for requesting additions or updates to the catalog, including: It's hard to tell what is meat and what are bones of this novel. Humor, pop culture references and hard sci-fi parts are intertwined into singular, cohesive whole. Story is also reason why this isn't getting full 5 stars or pacing to be more precise. In second half of the book story branches into multiple paths with several PoVs (all of which are Bobs) and pace slows down significantly. All of the storylines are interesting but at few points they are just too slow. It's also important to note that pretty much everything is left unresolved. It doesn't necessarily end with cliffhanger but every story arc is left wide open.

Ray Porter does a pretty awesome job on audio. I love the subtleties between each of the bobs, he does a great job with all of the accents. And again. GUPPI. Fantastic. If you're interested in the book, definitely look into the audiobook. For those who missed the first book, you need to go read it. Then come on in to this one and the good times keep a rollin’. Bob is the safest in space, going away from planet Earth at top speed. That is what he thinks, anyway. The universe has many nasty things in them. Trespassers make them angry, very angry. The scale is particularly delightful. You've gotta love a snarky nerd engineer-turned-AI distributed over 30 light years who's wondering what the hell the humans are doing. I mean, he's pretty well-adjusted, copying bits of himself into new iterations and letting them rename themselves as cultural nerd-pieces from the reader's culture. FOR WE ARE MANY (Bobiverse #2), in my opinion was even better than the first book and Ray Porter plays a large part in that.Have you ever wished you could undertake true space exploration but realistically believed that your lifespan may not be long enough to survive the journey? Well, not if you are Bob. Bob's 'voice' was hilarious and the narrator of the audiobook was perfect in bringing Bob to life. Even being a typical geeky introverted loner, when faced with the prospect of complete solitude in space, Bob realised that all humans eventually crave company. The meat of the story really began when Bob created a virtual reality to feel more human instead of just being a bodiless mind. Once he got over this existential crisis, he finally started making more clones of himself to progress on his mission, and admittedly for some company. And then there was GUPPI - seriously my favourite 'character' in this book so far. I am not inclined to say anymore about GUPPI as this really needs to be discovered.

Bravo to Dennis E. Taylor and to Ray Porter for bringing the Bobiverse alive- in all its snarky glory, humor, and love for humanity. We Are Legion (We Are Bob) was outside of my typical genre. I enjoyed this and thought some of the humor in it was needed for all the technical information about Bob, A.I. and exploring new worlds. For that reason, it does have merit. I think we need some books like this for people to ease into the genre. But I'll leave this off by saying that long time sci-fi and fantasy veterans are better off looking elsewhere. This book just didn't really do much for me, because of that. Dennis Taylor is the author of Bobiverse Series. Unfortunately, he shares that distinction with many other authors worldwide and some musicians, unfortunately. As a result, he uses Dennis E. Taylor to distinguish himself from others. Dennis E. Taylor is a computer programmer, runner, author and snowboarder. Currently, he’s occupied with a full time day-job, which has been limiting his writing. His novels have been known to give readers a few hours of escape and entertainment, and the Bobiverse Series is no different.That´s just a little, conventional aspect of the whole thing, but the fact that the war machinery is the main protagonist and can optimize its killing ability to a level even pure AIs might not be able to, is an interesting, fresh sci fi aspect. Because there are many collective hive minds or evil insect queens controlling all of its minions, optional with some officers and generals with more activated brainpower in between or bred less degenerate than the worthless cannon fodder warrior caste, but no democratic collective of many clones fighting in perfect coordination for altruistic reasons.

While this is a light book, it's full of great voice and activity and comradeship between oneself. :) Truly surprising just how much we can argue with ourself when we have a whole universe to grow within. I'm trying to find fault with Arthur, but I just can't.Away from the only, poor single, Bob technobabble focus towards more characterizations, interactions with real humans, implications, and open questions about consciousness, love, and immortality with a little portion of apocalypse and space warfare.

• Fruugo ID: 258392218-563234582
  • EAN: 764486781913
  • Sold by: Fruugo

Delivery & Returns

Fruugo

Address: UK
All products: Visit Fruugo Shop