A Statin-Free Life: A revolutionary life plan for tackling heart disease – without the use of statins

£5.495
FREE Shipping

A Statin-Free Life: A revolutionary life plan for tackling heart disease – without the use of statins

RRP: £10.99
Price: £5.495
£5.495 FREE Shipping

In stock

We accept the following payment methods

Description

They work by inhibiting an enzyme in the liver called HMG-CoA reductase. This reduces the production of cholesterol in the liver and so reduces cholesterol levels in the blood. Exercise is important. "Exercise itself reduces insulin resistance. It keeps your cells more sensitive to insulin and therefore means there’s less insulin required to maintain your blood glucose in normal range, and therefore less damage to the cells of the inner lining of the heart arteries." Simultaneously, "if the damage and repair mechanisms in the body are overridden - if there’s more damage than repair - then within the heart arteries you can develop these deposits that are full of cholesterol, actually a response to the injury - but also inflammatory immune cells."

Can you live your life without statins? This cardiologist

AND… “ LDL cholesterol has an important role in the immune system and likely protects against death from some infections” including cancer and The higher the LDL cholesterol in people over age 60, statistically the less likely they were to die based on a study of over 70,000 people getting help with prescription costs I think my statins are giving me nightmares. Can I take them in the morning instead?Statins reduce the risk of you getting heart problems for the first time, as well as any symptoms if you already have them so you can live a longer and better life. Ultimately, whether you choose to take statins or not, Dr Malhotra says, "Please, please, please do not neglect the lifestyle aspect, because eighty percent of heart disease is environmental and lifestyle related." He hopes people will read his book, consult their open-minded medical experts, and make informed decisions. If you do experience side effects, or if your side effects change or become worse, tell your GP. Can I buy statins over the counter? About one in 250 people in the UK have familial hypercholesterolaemia (FH), an inherited condition that causes high levels of cholesterol and which can also be treated with statins.

A Statin-Free Life: A revolutionary life plan for tackling A Statin-Free Life: A revolutionary life plan for tackling

So what is the evidence for their benefits? Dr Aseem Malhotra, author of the bestselling The 21-Day Immunity Plan and co-author of the bestselling The Pioppi Diet, examines the claims for statins and their role in lowering cholesterol and preventing heart disease. He introduces us to his targeted heart-health plan, which, with a diet plan, recipes and advice on reducing stress and increasing movement, can help us to live statin-free and take control of our own health. Eat a healthy diet and avoid foods high in saturated fats. Plant sterols and stanols– which are added to certain drinks and foods – can help to reduce your cholesterol by up to 10 per cent.Malhotra clearly feels his duty is to his patients – to "reduce suffering". He’s forthright, and long been unafraid of ruffling feathers. The foods we should eat? "A combination of oily fish, nuts, whole fruit and vegetables, extra virgin olive oil - and whatever else as long as you’re minimising the sugar and low quality carbohydrate, the breads and the pastas." If you’re at high risk of heart and circulatory disease, you should have a chat with your GP before buying a statin. You may need to have a statin prescribed for you and the effects watched. How else can I lower my cholesterol?

A Statin-Free Life by Dr Aseem Malhotra | Waterstones A Statin-Free Life by Dr Aseem Malhotra | Waterstones

This might be difficult to hear, but statins are most beneficial when you take them on a long-term basis. If you make big lifestyle changes or lose a lot of weight, you can discuss with your doctor if coming off statins is right for you. When should I take my statin? Low-dose statins are available at some pharmacies without a prescription, but they're not a replacement for prescription statins or for making lifestyle changes to reduce your cholesterol level. Weigh up the pros and cons of taking a statin and remember, a healthy diet, physical activity and not smoking are also important for your heart health.

Are statins safe? They seem to get a lot of negative press

So what is the evidence for their benefits? Dr Aseem Malhotra, author of the bestselling The 21-Day Immunity Plan and co-author of the bestselling The Pioppi Diet , examines the claims for statins and their role in lowering cholesterol and preventing heart disease. He introduces us to his targeted heart-health plan, which, with a diet plan, recipes and advice on reducing stress and increasing movement, can help us to live statin-free and take control of our own health. A recent BHF-funded research study found that whilestatins are linked with a small increase in the risk of muscle pains or weakness, they don't cause the majority of muscle pain symptoms commonly connected with them. Muscular aches and pains are the most common. It’s natural to associate symptoms with a new tablet but we all get muscle aches from time to time, so it’s difficult to know if they are due to medication or just to do with everyday life. Most people experience no side effects from statins. For some, though, they are an issue. If this is the case, ask your doctor about trying a different statin. Medical prescriptions are free in Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales. They are also free for people in England who meet certain criteria, including people who are: Dr Malhotra rejects this, and says, "The most important message is let’s have that transparent, honest communication with patients – explain to them the absolute benefits, respect their decision, give them alternatives."

• Fruugo ID: 258392218-563234582
  • EAN: 764486781913
  • Sold by: Fruugo

Delivery & Returns

Fruugo

Address: UK
All products: Visit Fruugo Shop