Jane Austen at Home: A Biography

Jane Austen at Home: A Biography

RRP: £99
Price: £9.9
£9.9 FREE Shipping

In stock

We accept the following payment methods

Description

Soon after that I moved to the Society for the Protection of Ancient Buildings, in the lovely job for administrator of the Wind and Watermills Section. What I really liked was the quotes from diaries and letters of Jane Austen's contemporaries to give a better sense of what was going on at the time and what other women's lives were like.

Jane Austen at Home by Lucy Worsley | Goodreads

Quello di Constance Hill era un mero diario di viaggio, mentre questo libro è uno studio piuttosto approfondito della vita di Jane Austen, che si avvale di tutti i più recenti scritti critici e le nuove biografie. Still, I did find that when Worsley was merely writing about the Georgian era (the lifestyle and traditions of those of Austen's class). I think anyone remotely interested in Jane Austen and the time she lived, should definitely read this! I departed for English Heritage in 1997, first as an Assistant Inspector and then as an Inspector of Ancient Monuments and Historic Buildings; Bolsover Castle, Hardwick Old Hall, and Kirby Hall were my favourite properties there. The village of Steventon was deep in the countryside, difficult to reach if the ‘rough country lanes’ were muddy.Biographies are difficult for me to get through, but I found this one to be engaging enough to keep me curious and reading! The rector of a parish has much to do …his parish duties, and the careand improvement of his dwelling. Since 2007, Austenprose has championed Jane Austen and her legacy by featuring information about her work, life, and times. We also spend much time exploring every city and home in which Jane lived, hence the title of this memoir.

Jane Austen At Home | Bring Jane Austen Home Page 2 Jane Austen At Home | Bring Jane Austen Home Page 2

I am definitely a Jane Austen fan, but was always of the opinion that not much was known about her life because her sister Cassandra had burned many of her letters, at Jane's request. Historian and author Lucy Worsley has written an excellent biography examining the beloved novelist Jane Austen’s writing from the context of homes – her own homes as well as the homes of others in which she either temporarily resided or often visited.

This new telling of the story of Jane's life shows us how and why she lived as she did, examining the places and spaces that mattered to her. George Austen and his fellow clergymen did, however, often feel a moral responsibility to maintain their houses at their own expense, if they could, because they held their properties in trust for their successors. I like to think that this last, insubstantial image of Jane running through the Hampshire grass in fact shows her running away from all the eager hungry biographers keen to get their teeth into her. Act One: A Sunny Morning at the Rectory” covers Austen’s early life at Steventon Rectory in Hampshire (1775-1801). Her bestselling books include Queen Victoria, Jane Austen at Home, A Very British Murder, If Walls Could Talk: An Intimate History of the Home, Courtiers, Cavalier and four historical novels for young readers.

• Fruugo ID: 258392218-563234582
  • EAN: 764486781913
  • Sold by: Fruugo

Delivery & Returns

Fruugo

Address: UK
All products: Visit Fruugo Shop