One for Sorrow: The new heart-stopping, page-turning crime thriller for 2022 (Di Callanach, 7)

£4.495
FREE Shipping

One for Sorrow: The new heart-stopping, page-turning crime thriller for 2022 (Di Callanach, 7)

RRP: £8.99
Price: £4.495
£4.495 FREE Shipping

In stock

We accept the following payment methods

Description

I genuinely feel this is one of the best books I’ve read all year! Ask anyone who knows me and they’ll tell me how over the past 3 days I kept blurting out how much I’m enjoying it and I can’t stop reading - even to those that have no interest in my love affair with books! CONTENT WARNING: grief, gore, murder, bomb explosions, blood, toxic relationship, mention of rape, stalking, death, suicide I have found a new crime thriller series to follow - Helen Fields' series DI Luc Callenach. The description of One for Sorrow attracted me as did the setting in Scotland. What I didn't pay attention to was the fact that this is book 7 in the series. Arrgh! I do this all the time, start with the wrong book. Fields continues ratcheting up the tension and suspense by drawing readers’ focus to things left unsaid throughout the novel. Most notably, the way she has interspliced Ava and Luc’s frantic present-day hunt for the bomber with the chronological revelation of historical events that led to the bombing spree. Clever writing indeed.

When it becomes clear that with every tip-off they are walking into a trap designed to kill them too, Ava and Luc know that finding the truth could mean paying the ultimate price. I absolutely loved this book. It can be read on its own, but do yourself a favour and read the entire series.’ ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Publication date is February 17, 2022 by Avon Books U.K. Genre: General Fiction, Mystery, Thrillers. With twists and turns you’ll never see coming, prepare to be gripped by this devastatingly good thriller. Perfect for fans of Stuart MacBride and MJ Arlidge.Readers are OBSESSED with One For Sorrow!This is the seventh book in the DI Callanach series, a series which has passed me by so the characters are completely new to me. Being new to such a well established series did not spoil my enjoyment at all as you are immediately gripped by the story. My main criticism here is with the dialogue - it’s set in Scotland but other than references to the Polis, nobody sounds remotely Scottish and the characters all speak the Queen’s English - even Luc who is supposed to have a strong French accent. I’m not saying it has to be all “Ach hen” and “Sacré Bleu” and I know Edinburgh is quite English - I lived there for ten years - but some variation in the voices and local colloquialisms would flesh out the characters and make them more realistic. I also got a bit bored with Ava’s angst and the weird dynamic with Natasha. On the plus side, the hilarious Connie Woolwine from The Shadow Man makes a significant cameo appearance. Helen Fields resides with her husband David in Hampshire. They have children together and two dogs. She has a deep love of licorice in addition to writing books and reading them. One for Sorrow is compelling and fast-paced as a lone bomber creates chaos in Edinburgh. Luc and Ava are at a loss as to motive, but the deaths are devastating. The bomber targets police and ambulance workers, those who are there to help--adding another degree of horror to the chaos being inflicted. I love great storytelling in a mystery/procedural, mysteries can be strong examples of quality writing and character developing and this is a nice example of what I look for in a strong, "I will recommend this", mystery.

The beginning of the book establishes two important storylines. Initially there is the police procedural storyline, which starts with a painful view of the coroner's death, captured on tape and being viewed by DCI Ava Turner. If you don’t like violent details, you may want to stop here, because this is just the beginning. DCI Turner is immediately drawn into battle with her superior officer over whether or not she will run the case, a discussion that gets cut short with an urgent call into headquarters requiring available resources to assemble at the scene. The police work and the graphic violence are part and parcel throughout this storyline of the book.One For Sorrow is one of the best books I’ve read this year and I’m nearing the 150 mark for books read. I was pacing the room as I devoured this, I couldn’t sit down I was so tense. CHARACTER: Everything that has previously happened to Ava is weighing heavy on her shoulders and you see she is struggling. Fields is great at showing Ava struggle and her loyalty to her friends and work. I also love how the other characters try to support her. With twists and turns you’ll never see coming, prepare to be gripped by this devastatingly good thriller. Perfect for fans of Stuart MacBride and MJ Arlidge. Readers are OBSESSED with One For Sorrow! I had no idea where the author was going with Quinn’s story, but I think it is almost better than the bombing thread because it is so realistic. I found it harrowing and all too believable as it closely resembles an article I was reading today by coincidence. I really can’t praise Helen Fields enough she has an uncanny way of drawing you into a story with her superb writing skills and every single book of hers has been just wonderful both the DI Callanach series and her stand-alone’s I have never been disappointed in any of them.

• Fruugo ID: 258392218-563234582
  • EAN: 764486781913
  • Sold by: Fruugo

Delivery & Returns

Fruugo

Address: UK
All products: Visit Fruugo Shop