An Unwanted Inheritance

An Unwanted Inheritance

RRP: £99
Price: £9.9
£9.9 FREE Shipping

In stock

We accept the following payment methods

Description

Personally I didn't find it very feasible that the decision of how to deal with the inheritance would be delayed for so long after its discovery, and it seemed to be a useful tool to develop the growing sibling unrest and dissension. I found this story more The Thing About Claire than Where the Story Starts in terms of falling in love with the characters versus just enjoying the story but all in all The three siblings have always been close. But now, with this money from nowhere threatening to rewrite what they thought they knew about their father and their family, nothing seems certain. Could it really tear them apart?

When three members of a family come into a substantial amount of cash on the death of their father, the decisions they must make test their bonds, their marriages (in two cases), their friendships and their memories of how life has affected them in the past as they each seek to get the future right. For a story about an apparently ordinary suburban family, this is every bit as exhilarating as the recent James Patterson I’ve just finished, but with better characterisation and a twist worthy of a thriller. A disclaimer must apply to the whole gift, so you can’t refuse part of the estate while accepting some of it and the heir must not have received any of the gift before the person died. If you disclaim your inheritance, this means you can’t ever become the legal owner so it is a step that should be taken after due consideration. Neither can the person who disclaims the inheritance then decide who receives his or her share among the remaining beneficiaries. I always feel like I literally 'dive into the family' with all of Imogen's books and can easily visualise the scene and characters with ease Blog – I’ve been writing my blog since 2008 so if you dig deep you’ll find lots of posts about how I became a writer, amongst many other topics.The decision as to what to do with this unexpected windfall poses a moral dilemma and differing points of view which threaten to destroy the tight bonds of family and friendship. They each have a valid reason for what they each think should be done with the cash which they suspect may not have been come by honestly. There are also secrets which must be kept secret and they are desperate to protect their father's reputation. A gripping tale about money, greed, and what really matters.” – Anstey Harris, bestselling author of The Truths and Triumphs of Grace Atherton. I really enjoyed this book and love the way Imogen weaves a story around family and explores some of the complexities associated with day to day family life. It’s no secret that I’m a huge fan of Imogen Clarke’s writing. And here she continues to deliver with a riveting read that combines family conflict and mystery with thought-provoking questions about honesty and integrity. It’s beautifully crafted with a genius final twist, and I loved it. The basis of the book is based around the discovery a suitcase full of cash under the bed of 3 recently deceased father -The story gradually unfolds to explore all that comes along with what money can do to people and how it can affect families and relationships

We are also a founding member of IAPPR, the International Association of Professional Probate Researchers, Genealogists and Heir Hunters which aims to provide a single, authoritative voice for global probate research industry professionals and has an impressive list of international member companies.Ellie, Nathan and Max are siblings. Ellie is married to James, a wealthy and aspiring property dealer. Their two girls go to an expensive school and they have a lifestyle to maintain. Max is married to Caroline. Caroline has known Ellie since childhood - Ellie’s family provided the happiness that had been lost in her own family. Nathan is single..his girlfriend left him when his habit got out of control. When their father dies unexpectedly Caroline finds a suitcase under the bed in the family home. It is full of money… What Clark does well is to describe and develop the characters, and the hidden dislike and resentment between them.

Caroline and Max could do with their share of the money. Gambling addict Nathan definitely could, and even affluent Ellie and James could put it to good use but there’s probably something dodgy about it, right? Who keeps over a quarter of a million pounds under their bed if it’s legit? You’d have thought the discovery of a suitcase stuffed with money would bring joy to this tight-knit family. Not a bit of it. It tears them apart. Not only is there doubt about the legality of the stash, and what their father had done to obtain it, but they all have conflicting views of how it should be split, if at all.

As a follower of this author I agreed to read a pre-publication copy in exchange for an honest review. I loved that, in addition to giving us a twisty, compelling story, Clarke also explores some big questions — about the insidious power of money, about personal integrity and honesty — and challenges us to consider what we might do in similar circumstances.

There is one chapter in this book where I was so immersed in the story that I was actually shouting “NOOOOO” and my heart was hammering! Thank you to @tandemcollectiveuk, @ImogenClarkAuthor and @LakeUnion for allowing me on #AnUnwantedInheritanceReadalong as always, the group readalong was a pleasure and I loved chatting about our thoughts.

Caroline is married to Max, the eldest son. She found the money. Her instincts, and that of her husband, are to keep everything above board. Imogen Clark pens thoughtful contemporary women’s fiction all about the secrets which hide at the heart of the fictional families she creates. I received a free advance copy of this book from the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for my unbiased review. Another way to deal with an unwanted inheritance is to use a deed of variation to redirect the gift. This has the effect of changing the Will’s contents as if the alterations were made by the testator before they died. This allows the executors and beneficiaries more control of the redistribution, and can allow the beneficiary to part refuse the estate—so, for example if there was a property involved, they could say no to a share of it but accept their part of liquid assets. The refused inheritance can also be redirected by the beneficiary to whoever they choose—perhaps someone who was not mentioned in the original Will. So when Simeon, the love of her life, proposes to her, she struggles to say yes. She adores the guy, however why risk the perfect relationship by signing on some dotted line which could ruin everything? If her parents’ marriage taught anything to her, it was that a gold ring won’t equal happiness, and she’s no desire to follow in their rather dysfunctional footsteps.

• Fruugo ID: 258392218-563234582
  • EAN: 764486781913
  • Sold by: Fruugo

Delivery & Returns

Fruugo

Address: UK
All products: Visit Fruugo Shop