ANGEL'S INK: Book 1 (The Asylum Tales)

ANGEL'S INK: Book 1 (The Asylum Tales)

RRP: £11.99
Price: £5.995
£5.995 FREE Shipping

In stock

We accept the following payment methods

Description

I’m always on the lookout for new UF books, and while I read one or two of Jocelyn’s previous series – Dark Days – it wasn’t a series that immediately hooked me like so many others. When I read the blurb for Angel’s Ink, I knew I’d have to take the chance on this one, and so glad I did! The main character in this series is Gage Powell. Gage runs The Asylum Tattoo parlor in an area called Low Town. Gage is something of a magical protégée. He was spirited away from his family when he was 7 years old, only to escape from the so called Ivory Tower when he was 16. Gage met up with Atticus Sparks who taught him everything he needed to know about mixing potions and creating tattoos. Gage doesn't exactly play by the rules for which he was allowed his freedom. This causes all sorts of problems for him and his friends Bronx (Troll) and Trixie Ravenwood (Elf). As this book doesn't come out until October, I read the ARC. Halfway through the book I knew I was going to have one big problem with this series. I knew I would finish book one before it even officially came out for sale, which would mean I'd have to wait even longer for book two. I can't recommend this book enough. I LOVED it. The characters were beautifully written, well rounded, and I loved all of them. The world building was awesome and the plot just kept spinning, leaving me in awe and wondering what would happen next. The superstars of urban fantasy agree— Angel’s Ink, the first book in Jocelyn Drake’s Asylum Tales is a winner!

This is the first book in the Angel’s Ink trilogy. It was an okay urban fantasy that seemed to pull lots of elements from urban fantasy series that have already been written. I thought the story was a bit scattered and that the characters were a bit underdeveloped. However, it was okay. World building: In general there were several interesting details, yet I couldn't help but feel as though some important elements were missing. (More on this below) It took me awhile to really get a feel for Gage’s character, but at the same time I instantly liked him. he was sarcastic and funny, and although he was pretty desperate to keep a low profile, he was also willing to do anything and everything within his power to save those he loves. Even when he knew full well it would put him directly in the path of his wizard guardian. I loved his relationship with Trixie, and how the romance played out in the book. I hope we get to see more and more of Gage and Trixie together.I also really like the secondary characters. Gage has his secrets, which he tries really hard (unsuccessfully) to hide from his friends/coworkers, and I like the fact that the same people he is hiding secrets from also have some deep secrets of their own. He feels like a rotten heel having to hide things from them, but he is also aware they are doing the same thing. Another aspect which made me pretty uncomfortable: apparently the dark elves/svartalfar are literally dark-skinned and are, I quote, "known for only two things: ruthless cunning and merciless cruelty". There are some important things that Gage must keep secret. But at the end of the book he is sitting outside with his two friends telling them everything. Someone could have been listening nearby. When I read urban fantasy I'm not looking for something that focuses on the romance - I'm more interested in a fast paced plot and really getting to know the characters and the world that the author has created. Yes a lot of my favourite urban fantasy series do contain a hint of romance but most of the time it has that kind of will they / won't they theme running through at least the first few books and I really enjoy that kind of tension between the characters. In the case of Gage and Trixie there was no tension, everything flows together too easily and at times felt a bit more like I was reading a paranormal romance. I just didn't feel invested in either of the characters and didn't believe that there was any real emotional connection between them, definitely not enough for them to become a couple.

Angel’s Ink had been sitting in my Audible library since December 2017, so I couldn’t say I was in a hurry to get to it. Audiobooks aren’t my main format for reading, so that’s not much of a surprise. I guess I got it because it was on sale and the blurb seemed really interesting and pretty much had everything that could hook me to a book. The funny thing is, at the time I didn’t have a tattoo yet (but I wanted to have one!) or the blog (funny coincidence with the series title, but then I don’t believe in coincidences), so I had no idea what a good fit it’ll be within 2 years, hah! First off, this was a free book as part of the Free Friday Giveaways on the Nook. Otherwise, I never would have read it. I have read urban fantasy, and I have really liked some of it but this was not it.Probably not many people knows as I hardly ever review urban fantasy for the blog, but the genre has a special place in my heart. After all it was an UF series that really hooked me to fantasy and forced me to start to read in English for real. And now here we are. Gage likes his quiet life of mixing potions and doing tattoos. He’s got a great shop, with two great employees, and mostly keeps below the radar of those looking for him. Although he’s on the fritz with the much-hated wizard council, he manages to keep himself free and clear of their politics and guardians.

That's it. That's pretty much all that is EVER mentioned about her. Which... given that the narrator is supposed to be in love with her, made me wonder whether this was really the case (i.e. did he really care about her?). In between all that, I loved to see Gage and Trixie getting together. They’ve been dancing around each other for a long time and these trying situations for both have brought them together. This book was full of wonderful and strong characters! This book is done in 1st person. Can you imagine the Harry Potter books being done in 1st person Harry Potter? HP was much richer being done in 3rd. And I think Angel’s Ink would have been better in 3rd. We could get inside some of the other characters for a change.

OVERVIEW

Basically, the main character screws some things up and finds himself in various impossible situations, with one situation and event happening after another and after another. There was literally NO PAUSE for ANYTHING in this book, including for letting the poor reader take a breath!

Gage has a little trouble clamping down on his gifts, but he tries. He wants to keep the new life he has made for himself: his tattoo parlor and his two employees and best friends Bronx and Trixie. Of course, to call Trixie a friend may be a little bit of an understatement. He is head over heels for the beautiful elf in hiding. He knows she has secrets, but as he learns why she is on the run, the two of them become closer and closer. And then the invisible hand released me. Holding my throat, I rolled onto my stomach and looked up at where Simon had last been standing. The air rushed from my lungs. Trixie stood behind him with one arm thrown across his chest, her other hand holding a large knife tightly against his throat. I don’t know how she’d managed to sneak past us both unnoticed, but I wasn’t going to question this change in events. In the end, Angel’s Ink will appeal to fans of dark, urban fantasy. As the beginning of a series, it sets up many storylines that will be finished later. As it is, I can’t wait to see what is next for Gage and his circle of friends.

musicMagpie Search

The main female character could have been referred to generically as 'The Love Interest' (i.e. for the main male character who also narrated the story), because that was really all she was: whenever she was mentioned she was always characterized as 'sweet' and as physically attractive.

• Fruugo ID: 258392218-563234582
  • EAN: 764486781913
  • Sold by: Fruugo

Delivery & Returns

Fruugo

Address: UK
All products: Visit Fruugo Shop