A Slice of Paradise: The 1960's Chronicles...end of an era, but life goes on...

£5.475
FREE Shipping

RRP: £10.95
Price: £5.475
£5.475 FREE Shipping

In stock

We accept the following payment methods

Description

Slice of Paradise" is a collection of short stories centred around the beach and holidays with a horror twist. Including:

Trying to take some time for themselves, one woman realizes that something is a little off at this resort. Once again, I really found that all the stories, even those that were a miss for me, had some really dark events in them, which makes for a fun time.These guidelines and standards aim to keep the content on Booking.com relevant and family-friendly without limiting expression of strong opinions. They are also applicable regardless of the sentiment of the comment. Even before starting this one, I was nervous. I mean, with a title like “Beach Snakes,” I’m gonna be nervous! This one ruled! Misery Guts by Craig Wallwork (a nasty little piece of body horror that will make your skin crawl,) Paradise Lost by Sheri White (the last recorded minutes of the lone survivor of a heat induced illness,) and Honeymoon (a couple take a pre-wedding trip to a resort that seems too good to be true.) Phosphorescence by Denver Grenell-- Very real, very unique. The stoners here are super believable. Denver clearly has a gift for creating likable, fun, realistic and relatable characters!

The Fons Juventutis (Kay Hanifen) --> Dayana Rolles is a maid at the prestigious hotel, the "The Fons Juventutis" where the rich and powerful gather and run riot. But when a dead body is found in one of the rooms, and Dayana's coworker goes missing a curious tale unfolds... A good tale and I like the element of this being a hot spot for the rich and powerful go to play works. I like the idea of the VIP Cove too. Works well. A lot of twists and turns to this one but I enjoyed it greatly! A nice explanation and a self contained story. 4.5/5 Night Dive by Drew Starling: This story has a slower build, which only increases the sense of dread and allows some time to worry about the characters. This was genuinely scary. 4 stars. When a night swim while on drugs turns into a cheap excuse to put his hands on her, this woman immediately changes the tone. But there’s something in the water looking out for her as well. Slice of Paradise”, edited by Ben Long and Andrew Robert, is a beach themed horror anthology that brings darkness to luxurious shores. You may think you know where "They Eat People, You Know?" by Rowan Hill is going but you may be surprised. I guessed at the outcome but it didn't interfere with my enjoyment of the story. Suspenseful and well done. 4 Stars.There’s two main things that ties each of these stories together… the beach and terror.I loved that many of these tales had an ambiguous ending, while others have some seriously non-happy endings. Denver Grenell's "Phosphorescence" really gets under the skin. Very descriptive in the worst way (which serves the story in a good way). There are only two main characters in the story, and the final actions of one of them was a bit alarming after everything that happened. 3.5 Stars. The Guardian" by Phillip Fracassi doles out the dread in small doses until the mid-point when all hell breaks loose. Some island vacationers pay a local to boat them to a private beach, never realizing why such a lovely bit of sand is deserted. 4 Stars. Misery Guts" by Craig Wallwork gets the gross-out award. "Paradise for me is a blood-soaked bathroom in Jamaica, and a dozen red leeches." Justice is served in the form of food poisoning. 4 Stars.

This one was so intense! The anxiety I felt was pretty immediate. This is one of those tales that is absolutely perfect as a short story, but one that I would love to get a longer story from!

Contributions should be travel related. The most helpful contributions are detailed and help others make better decisions. Please don’t include personal, political, ethical, or religious commentary. Promotional content will be removed and issues concerning Booking.com’s services should be routed to our Customer Service or Accommodation Service teams. Astorgos (Ashlei Johnson) --> Holly Cornett and her wife Eva are holidaying on the Amalfi Coast when they find themselves caught up in a meteor shower which leads to strange events unfolding... I did not expect the meteor shower plot line but I appreciate it and like it! A very good story full of emotion and horror! A lot to like here! 4.5/5

I really enjoyed these stories , the narration is fantastic and although the setting and themes are similar throughout no two stories felt the same. So how does it read? Very strong. I’ll say that from the outset. Both Mark Towse (Nana) and Drew Starling (The Sentinel) deliver widely different approaches to the theme from the get-go, with their pieces " Secret beach" and " Night dive" respectively. Towse providing dream-like supernatural horror, Sterling a horror legend made flesh, in one the MC’s triumph, in the other it all goes south. That rhythm remains for the rest of the book, and I have to say it’s impressive – I never felt that themes or stories were similar – each Author brought their own style and voice to the table. A real mix-up of stories. Beach Snakes by Aiden Merchant – a really fun story about a husband and wife that hate each other and an enjoyable local urban legend that has bite.One thing I love about short story anthologies is that while every story isn't for you, you can usually find several that pique your interest and a couple that hit absolute homeruns. You're exposed to different writing styles. You meet different authors-- some of whom you fall in love with! And you get worlds and worlds of stories all in the palm of your hands. Misery Guts by Craig Wallwork (I will not say anything about it, only that the title says it all, super fun, super gross) Let’s dive in! My Thoughts on Slice of Paradise: A Beach Vacation Horror Anthology edited by Ben Long and Andrew Robert Some of the stories hit home more than the others, that’s true of every anthology, Rowan Hill’s " They eat people, you know?" was great – a nice twist included – I’ll be eagerly awaiting her debut novel released in February from D&T press – “ In the arctic sun” – if it is half as good as her short here, it’s going to be fantastic.

• Fruugo ID: 258392218-563234582
  • EAN: 764486781913
  • Sold by: Fruugo

Delivery & Returns

Fruugo

Address: UK
All products: Visit Fruugo Shop