My Brother the Killer: A Family Story

My Brother the Killer: A Family Story

RRP: £99
Price: £9.9
£9.9 FREE Shipping

In stock

We accept the following payment methods

Description

However, as much as I loved reading his thoughts and feeling, especially surrounding his own daughter, Fiona, finding out as well as during the trial, his life seemed to be way more inserted than his brothers. I sometimes found it annoying as it would be just getting on with the story about Danielle missing, closing in on Stuart, tension building. Seeing how two boys only 14 months apart could come from the same violent background but end up following two wildly different paths also brings up some nature/nurture discussion, which I found important to the story. I found it easier to read here, and could understand better why he had chosen this style of writing their story. Sharkey's main focus was on his own daughter (and her schoolmates) possibly finding out that her uncle was the main suspect, and what that might mean for Daughter's social life.

I liked how the author narrates the reader through the events of Danielle's disappearance while also recounting his childhood and the linkage. The other main question of the book is, with he ever tell the family of Danielle Jones where he put her body so that they may lay her to rest and provide some comfort to all who have suffered her loss?

There is a raw truthfulness to his words as he walked us back through their childhood growing up in working class Essex. Maybe he was, but it just felt like the author crammed the theory in there, and then hoped for the best. I love to read true crime mainly from a psychological perspective, as that’s what I’m studying at university. I was particularly interested in the forthcoming parole hearing due at the end of this year, especially with 'Helen's Law's now in force, meaning cases where the location of a body is never disclosed a parole review is likely to be denied - no body, no parole.

Yet it was Alix’s kid brother Stuart—button-cute and fearless—who defended his siblings at home, at school and on the streets. A good true crime read about a very sad case, and from which the victim's family may never get closure. I like to see how crimes have affected not only the people involved, but the families too, and Alix really did show how this affected him.

The recollection from the half way point onwards was interesting though and I found the information given throughout the trial gripping. Stuart remained—and slid into a furtive life of sexual violence against teenage girls, punctuated by prison time. It must have been a mammoth task for Alix to reach so far back into him and his brothers shared past. His brother has neither confirmed nor denied, so it's only speculation on the author's part, but there's a sense that he's desperate for it to be true, as this could wrap up his entire deviation with a neat little bow.

There's an awful lot of anxiety about how this would affect his daughter, worry about the way her peers would react to the news. Sharkey also poses several terrifying what happens when you discover a deadly sexual predator in your family? Alix Sharkey is the older brother of Stuart Campbell, the man convicted in 2002 of murdering 15-year-old, Danielle Jones. A devastating hybrid of true crime and family memoir, My Brother the Killer examines the true cost of keeping dark family secrets.I went into this book in a bit of a slump so struggled to make it half way, once I passed the 50% mark I flew through the rest of the book and although it was an upsetting and difficult read I would recommend this book to people who enjoy true crime. Oh I really liked this story and the fact that it was written by someone so close to the actual killer.

A good read, although at times I was impatient with the author going back and forth in the timeline to the years and his brother spent growing up. The two brothers’ paths diverge early as one become sort of cool and well-known London journalist and the other becomes a creep and then a murderer. But if you come into this knowing it's an exploration of the crime through the lens of a memoir about the author and his brother, you'll understand in advance what you're getting into.This was an interesting and personal account that demonstrated the effect this heinous crime had- and continues to have- on so many lives. The book is well written and shares the boys childhood and the conditions that they grew up in along side the disappearance of Danielle Jones but I wish it hadn’t flicked backwards and forwards so much.

• Fruugo ID: 258392218-563234582
  • EAN: 764486781913
  • Sold by: Fruugo

Delivery & Returns

Fruugo

Address: UK
All products: Visit Fruugo Shop