The Day the Screens Went Blank

The Day the Screens Went Blank

RRP: £7.99
Price: £3.995
£3.995 FREE Shipping

In stock

We accept the following payment methods

Description

What happens to Stella's family feels like the comedy version of an older reader's dystopia, though to many it would of course feel just as frightening and world-ending: screens die. Humanity is left bereft and suffering withdrawal, floundering around both in families and communities and as whole societies to function. So, just like every other Sunday, we’re all sitting there, doing our separate things like a family, when suddenly it happens. It really made me laugh in some parts and I love that it is set in Mousehole, Penzance, Cornwall. I have been here on my summer holidays 3 times and it’s just a magical place.

The Day the Screens Went Blank (Audio Download): Danny

Teddy was sitting miserably at the kitchen table with his blank tablet. Usually he’d be watching an age-appropriate video of giant airliners or something. When ten-year-old Stella wakes up to discover a world full of BLANK screens, her family, town, and in fact the whole world seems to have been thrown into chaos. And what about poor Grandma who is stranded at the other end of the country? It was fiction I liked the main character best (stella) because she showed her views as I went through the book and told me in first person what were her opinions. This hugely entertaining comedy road trip involves numerous family fallouts and misfortunes with road rage, cow snot, and a very angry waitress - but some positives come out of the chaos, when the family have no choice but to talk to one another instead of being glued to their devices. The day the screens went blank is a hilarious new middle grade book from Danny Wallace. While the story is guaranteed to make you laugh out loud, it also contains a gentle reminder for us to be more aware of how screens affect our lives and to take time to enjoy the little things.

When Tammy disappears, her brother Ethan instinctively knows she's still alive. A few days later, a short, hairy alien called Hellyann crash-lands in the reservoir and tells him that Tammy has been abducted and taken to a human zoo. Can Ethan and Hellyann rescue Tammy - and will they ever return? A hilarious science fiction adventure from an award-winning au… Then he says he’s going to have to use the computers at work and Mum says she’s going to have to borrow a laptop or something. Dad works up the road in Penzance, selling houses. Mum works from home, designing things for rich people who buy them on the internet. She doesn’t charge very much. She gets very stressed though so she’s got one of those apps she can stare at that tells her when to breathe. I think that’s weird, cos I just seem to know when to breathe. I don’t know why you need an app to tell you to breathe. Sometimes I creep up behind her and just shout BREATHE! This is not her favourite thing about me. He’s sitting on the edge of the sofa and he keeps pressing the buttons on his remote control, but it doesn’t help, so he presses them again but muuuuch harder, as if that’s going to do anything. Mum was muttering something about how ‘the systems’ must have gone down, but apart from her and Dad I couldn’t hear any of the other sounds I normally hear. I couldn’t hear Good Morning Britain or Sky News on WAY too loud. Mum wasn’t making her poached eggs in the microwave. Zero beep-beeps.

The day the screens went blank (Book Review) - Forts and Fairies The day the screens went blank (Book Review) - Forts and Fairies

It’s no secret that 2021 sees many of us reliant on our screens, whether that’s a phone, laptop, tablet or television there is no denying that we are more plugged in than not most days. As much as technology is amazingly helpful in our lives, it’s also a somber thought to think of the effect it has on us to be permanently connected…even more so when we take into account the effect this has on our family life. It’s nice to see that without technology people find different things to do and see what’s around them more. So I take off Mum’s headphones and now I can actually hear him properly and he’s complaining that their film’s just stopped. The winners of The Farshore Reading for Pleasure Teacher Awards 2023, highlighting the work schools are doing to encourage a love of reading, have... I’ll usually choose something exciting but age-appropriate and on Sunday it was Dumbo, which I was greatly enjoying, though I have to say it was a little far-fetched.This book was intended to be bedtime reading for me and the kids (and second time around it will be) but I started to read this yesterday and couldn't put it down. This is definitely a book for the times we are currently in living out of our comfort zones and a little differently than normal, it may be a story about screens going off and living without technology but it is also so much more than that. In places I laughed so much I needed a tissue to wipe away years of laughter to be able to continue and at other times I felt a lump in my throat and my heart swell with pride as the family took on a car ride that brought the much further than they could imagine. Stella is 10, and "already the most organized girl in Mousehole." Her family seems fairly typical - a younger brother glued to Youtube videos, parents who both rely on phones for work.... even a family film night sees all four of them sat together but watching their own films on their own screens. It's not hard to work out what Wallace is saying here, what his point of view may be, though he isn't overly obvious about it. Wallace next wrote a short book called Random Acts of Kindness: 365 Ways To Make the World A Better Place, with the help of submissions from Joinees. It includes many humorous Random Acts of Kindness (RAoK) ideas, such as "Contradict Demeaning Graffiti", and "Make An Old Man Very Happy." Night Mayor Franklefink has vanished from the Transylvanian Express - and it's up to you to solve the case! Part of the Solve Your Own Mystery seri... Characters: Dad is lost without an online map, mum is the only one smart enough to carry cash, little brother Teddy just wants to watch his shows and our protagonist Stella is happy to go with the flow and see what happens.

The Day the Screens Went Blank - LoveReading4Kids The Day the Screens Went Blank - LoveReading4Kids

This book was great! I love it. An adventure story and a long journey to go through. Would highly recommend! I have recommended to our school library, and they now have it, and it has so many reservations for people to take it out! Hello Yellow - 80 Books to Help Children Nurture Good Mental Health and Support With Anxiety and Wellbeing - Armistice Day: A Collection of Remembrance - Spark Interest and Educate Children about Historical Moments This is a fiction book about a day when all the screens went blank. This is a really funny book and I would love to read it again.It’s screen time Sunday for Stella and her family where everybody gets on the couch and puts on their favourite (age-appropriate) movie on their own devices. They’re all sitting there, doing their separate things “like a family” 😆 when all the screens stop working.

The Day the Screens went Blank | Hamilton Brookes The Day the Screens went Blank | Hamilton Brookes

Well, I looked at Mum and told her my film had gone too and she asked Teddy if his thing was still working, but it wasn’t. Dad hates being late. He says, when he was a kid, you could never be late, because in those days you couldn’t text people to let them know you were going to be late but you were on your way. He says if you were late, when you got there, everybody would have just gone somewhere else because you were late. And you had no idea where and you couldn’t call them. So you just had to walk around for ages and hope you found them. What kind of system is that? Madness. And...they rediscover good old living and build up new memories. This is a fun book for 7-9 narrated by a hilarious Stella who says things like it is. Young readers will appreciate her candid observations and straight-faced humour. You could see author Danny Wallace through her voice 😆😍📚 Can you imagine a world with no screens? Don't miss the hilarious new 'what-if' adventure from best-selling author, comedian and presenter Danny Wallace. The Day the Screens Went Blank is a laugh out loud adventure about the world changing overnight that is utterly fitting for our current times.At 22, he became a BBC producer. He was part of the production team behind British Comedy Award-winning Dead Ringers, the original producer of the critically acclaimed cult hit The Mighty Boosh, and the creator and producer of Ross Noble Goes Global. As a journalist, Wallace has worked for The Scotsman, The Guardian, The Independent, Elle, Cosmo, The Times and other publications. I am currently reading this as a class novel with a Y6 class and they are loving the family dramas and tensions as Stella's mum and dad try to stay in control of events. Stella's voice, as she observes and comments on the dynamics, is a huge hit with them ! Stella's family are so relatable and endearing and we have sympathy and empathy for every single member and their various breaking points along the journey.

• Fruugo ID: 258392218-563234582
  • EAN: 764486781913
  • Sold by: Fruugo

Delivery & Returns

Fruugo

Address: UK
All products: Visit Fruugo Shop